Let a Heatrock Loose appreciation

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Just wanted to congratulate the strut community on this one.More than just thanking the generous support of participants I want to mention the beautiful spontaneity and good will that gave birth to this brilliant idea.I myself fundraise for my own charitable organisation and we do mostly grass root stuff to raise 20000$ yearly. In my life the internet and charity have mysteriously been linked. The day the tsunami hit i was posting on a class board of how we should just raise some money by passing a hat around in class. The next day bam 2500$ in 20 min. This girl from my class pm'ed me about a project she had of starting a foundation for ugandan children. I gave some advice from my personal experience and now her foundation is in the papers and very succesful. Finally, a group of scouts found my ngo's website and came to visit us in Peru. Now they are handling the financing of another one of the shantytown centers.Anyways just goes to show that good people meeting leads to good things but I am digressing. Basically, I had this epiphany that soulstrut created a new form of charity that is both practical and brilliant.You see we fundraise mostly by a stand in trade shows and people give a few bucks here and there in the end its a lot of money. But we still think to ousrselves what if everyone gave or why is that guy pissed.With the auction aspect you guys have found a way to multiply generosity. The person letting a heatrock loose contributes (puts money in the hat) he feels like helping out and gives a record and has generously done his part. The value of his contribution is then multiplied (that is where it is briliant) through auctionning. Furthermore, his contribution directly encourages others to be generous while bringing attention to the charity. Even the scrooges (but that want the record) are drawn into it.In this modern world the strut has found a dynamic way of contributing to charity that is inspiring and effective.Props to aspirin and bambouche and all who participated

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

No, it was an amazing thing. Verray Impressive.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Belated props to gnat

break in the road coming soon...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Heatrocks definitely was one of the best things about 2005 even though Katrina was one of the worst things about the millenium thus far. I actually clicked through some of the Heatrocks threads not too long ago just for the hell of it. Everybody was the biggest of big dudes.