Overdue Introduction...

goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Hey There Everyone,Noticed that my count just topped 50, and I owe a long-overdue introduction.Where to start???Musically I would probably consider myself a ???little dude??? when it comes to most of the raers talked about here, but I do have a fair amount of experience with jazz up to the mid-60???s (and other assorted genres). I only got back into vinyl about 3-4 years ago, but have been listening/collecting ever since. Current interests include jazz, Brazilian (Lovin??? Brazilian Octopus right now!), French, assorted psych, library, and picking up some of the OG funk, soul and jazz that I have been sleeping on for far too long.Broke my $50 cherry with Archie Whitewater about a year ago.Picked up a beat (but playable) Trinikas 45 for $15 about a year ago and have been looking for one in better condition ever since (without having to sell off a body part to afford it!).My ADD tendencies also tend toward enjoying jazz and rare groove mix tapes.Some of my favorites from recent years have included:AEIOU2Les Impressions Des Demoiselles DramatiquesBreaks For Days & Soul on the Grill 1Signifyin??? Breaks & Mixed MessagesThree Sinister SyllablesLettuce Propelled RocketsLanguage LabRecently been digging that Trap Door Mix that was posted here. Outside of music I???m also into doing some sculpture, painting, and drawing (here???s a few samples):Uncompleted painting of MingusThis one uses my ex-wife's hair (donated voluntarily)Mirrors my sometimes prickly natureI???ve been laying low on commenting in threads regarding music I don???t know about ??? figured I???d learn first and talk later ??? but I have been thinking of maybe offering some assorted jazz appreciation threads with a few sound files (Bix, Bechet, Mingus, Dolphy, etc) if anyone seems interested. Just trying to find a way to contribute back to all you strutters. Not sure if any of you already know about the following site but it???s a great one for info and sound files of early jazz greats:http://www.redhotjazz.com/All the other stuff is fairly standard ??? job that bores me on most days (although I have gotten to travel a bit lately), too much time on internet, Soul Strut and Ebay researching new music, 16 month daughter, living in Oceanside CA, blah blah blah???Anyway, guess that???s it for now.-goatboy (Barak)

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Welcome!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Welcome, goatboy--interesting artwork.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Don't hate. His wife donated her hair voluntarily.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    welcome goatboy

Uncompleted painting of Mingus

very nice!

would it be out of line for me to say that the one with yr. wife's locks kinda reminds me of a tusken raider?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Welcome Goatboy.......any tie between your name and the late, great Bill Hicks???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Don't hate. His wife donated her hair voluntarily.

Just to clarify--I wasn't hating; I was being sincere.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Welcome Goatboy.......any tie between your name and the late, great Bill Hicks???

Nope, sorry. I didn't even know the Hicks relation to goatboy so I Googled. That's some crazy weird shit...

If you're interested I gave a short history of why I use it on another thread:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=510721&Forum=crates&Words=goatboy&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=510218&Search=true#Post510721

The hard part is trying to find LPs that say the word goat that I can use as a sample in mix tapes and stuff. I've got a Felix 45 that does it but am always on the search for others...

welcome goatboy

Uncompleted painting of Mingus

very nice!

would it be out of line for me to say that the one with yr. wife's locks kinda reminds me of a tusken raider?

Thanks!
    And not out of line at all, although the resemblence had never occured to me...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

The hard part is trying to find LPs that say the word goat that I can use as a sample in mix tapes and stuff. I've got a Felix 45 that does it but am always on the search for others...

If you ever come across the weirdo hippie commune cult LP by Gwydion there's a song about a chick having sex with a goat!!!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    welcome, goatboy.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

"It's lovely how I let my mind float / Now I'ma take my baaaaaad ass home, 'cause I'm goat."

And one of my cousins used to bump a Disney record with a song about a "happy goat boy." I think it was Sound Of Music or Heidi or something similarly Bavarian.

Anyway, welcome. Is that some Brancusi thing in your avatar, or is that yours, too?

If you ever come across the weirdo hippie commune cult LP by Gwydion there's a song about a chick having sex with a goat!!!

Thansk for the heads up on Gwydion.
    I'll definitely keep an eye out.

I have to admit that I don't have much knowledge of Bill Hicks. Heard of him but never got around to watching/listening to him. Do you know if that goatboy bit would have appeared on vinyl at any time?

• girgir 329 Posts

Nope, sorry. I didn't even know the Hicks relation to goatboy so I Googled. That's some crazy weird shit...

If you're interested I gave a short history of why I use it on another thread:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=510721&Forum=crates&Words=goatboy&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=510218&Search=true#Post510721

little kids records about farms and animals, could probably even get some goat sounds.

• girgir 329 Posts

I have to admit that I don't have much knowledge of Bill Hicks. Heard of him but never got around to watching/listening to him. Do you know if that goatboy bit would have appeared on vinyl at any time?

i don't think there is any bill hicks vinyl, but there's a pretty badass dvd out that has a performance of goatboy ish, as well as lots of other good sample fodder.

bill hicks =

i don't think there is any bill hicks vinyl, but there's a pretty badass dvd out that has a performance of goatboy ish, as well as lots of other good sample fodder.

bill hicks =

Just added Bill Hicks "Sane Man" to my queue at Netflix.
    Cool - Thanks!

• girgir 329 Posts

bill hicks =

Cool - Thanks!

this is the dvd i was talking about but i doubt any performance of his will dissapoint. enjoy.

bill hicks =

Cool - Thanks!

this is the dvd i was talking about but i doubt any performance of his will dissapoint. enjoy.

I had added that one at the same time but I will move it to the top of the list now.
    Thanks!

Is that some Brancusi thing in your avatar, or is that yours, too?

No, not mine.
    It's by an artist I really dig: Brendan Monroe.

I've never seen a show in person, but the photos of his installations on his website are totally cool:

http://www.brendanmonroe.com/installations32.html

http://www.brendanmonroe.com/installations23.html

http://www.brendanmonroe.com/installations24.html

Cheers!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

bill hicks =

Cool - Thanks!

I had added that one at the same time but I will move it to the top of the list now.
    Thanks!

Check ya PMs...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

You need the Barkays 'Holy Goats'.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

bill hicks =

"Should have never given him the tussin...." "Dont hold back on your offspring..."

I just wanted to thank everyone for the leads to possible goat samples, the heads-up on Hicks, and for the warm welcome.

Looking forward to learning and contributing here!