No More Mayo!

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Mayo To Step Down As Emmis/N.Y. Market Manager Jan. 17, 2006 By Paul Heine Saying he needs more balance in his life, Emmis New York senior VP/market manager Barry Mayo informed the company today that he would not renew his contract when it expires on February 28. Mayo, who helped sign-on WRKS (Kiss 98.7) New York in 1981, has run the three-station Emmis New York cluster since 2002, when he called Emmis Radio president chief Rick Cummings and offered to help put Kiss back on track. Since then, he has also overseen New York???s R&B/hip-hop WQHT (Hot 97) and smooth jazz WQCD (CD101.9) ???The artist in me is very unfulfilled and I need to find balance in my life,??? Mayo, an accomplished photographer, told Billboard Radio Monitor. Mayo will remain until his replacement is named and will assist in the recruitment effort. He will also help acclimate his successor to what he calls ???an extremely complex job.??? After that, Mayo plans to form a limited consultancy with Emmis-New York as his first client. Anything more than one or two additional clients ???would defeat the purpose??? of his resignation, he says. Mayo???s nearly 30-year radio career includes programming and management positions in New York and Chicago, consulting and station ownership. In accepting his resignation, Emmis CEO Jeff Smulyan praised Mayo???s work, crediting him with getting the company???s New York cluster back on track. http://www.billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/news/business/top_news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001847421---------so does this mean there will be any real changes to NYC radio?

Comments