Black Forum Records

Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Just got the Stokely Carmichael 'Free Huey' record.Anything else on the Black Forum label?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's all angry black spoken word ish. There's a MLK & a few others...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Langston Hughes has one

I Think the Elaine Brown LP is on that label as well

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Here's a Black Forum discography - click here.

This was Motown's spoken-word/black consciousness label. I'm interested in scoring the Black Fighting Men album, myself (even if I only play it once!).

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Just got the Stokely Carmichael 'Free Huey' record.

no hijak. but if anyoen needs this, i have one sealed one left.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think we need to have a thread dedicated to documenting all the angry black spoken word ISH

I got a good amount of these type of albums. a few private press a few that seem to be under the radr and I know there are a ton more out there.

What y'all know about the George Jackson LP?

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Does anyone have anysuggestions for great black freedom/rights songs or albums? Either mainstream or lesser known

I'm writing an article on Black history month for my school's newspaper and thought it'd be a good idea to include influential black rights music somewhere in it for those blander, less aware students in the school.

I really dig Max Roach's "WE INSIST!"

help?

• Amiri Baraka "nation time"

I think we need to have a thread dedicated to documenting all the angry black spoken word ISH

...then you gotta include the Flying Dutchman label, who gave us Gil Scott-Heron (first album was all spoken-word poetry), Angela Davis and Stanley Crouch.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

...then you gotta include the Flying Dutchman label, who gave us Gil Scott-Heron (first album was all spoken-word poetry), Angela Davis and Stanley Crouch.

So, add Folkways...

So, add Folkways...

I'm still waiting to hear some news about the Third World Theater's album on Dooto...from the looks of the cover, I am assuming it's like a horny Last Poets (the title of the album is Forbidden Sex Tales). It might even be too apolitical for this thread, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway (no hijack). Anybody heard of/heard/seen this album? I just know about it because it was advertised (along with a mess of other elpees) on the back of a Redd Foxx album.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Does anyone have anysuggestions for great black freedom/rights songs or albums? Either mainstream or lesser known

I'm writing an article on Black history month for my school's newspaper and thought it'd be a good idea to include influential black rights music somewhere in it for those blander, less aware students in the school.

I really dig Max Roach's "WE INSIST!"

help?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sit In Songs Of The Freedom Riders; note the notes on the cover are lunch counter stools. Beyond William Bradford it is unclear who is singing on this record. I am sure it is Freedom Riders that Tom Wilson brought into the studio. Mostly tradigtional spirituals with added Freedom Rider lyrics. The highlight is a remake of Hit The Road Jack; Get your rights Jack and don't be a tom no more no more no more. It was recorded in association with CORE the Congress Or Racial Equality.

We Shall Overcome Freedom Singers; The Freedom Singers were the real deal both on the front lines and in vocal chops. Rutha Harris 22, Cordell Reagon 19, Charles Neblett 21, Bertha Gober 22 and Bernice Johnson 20. I belive they met in jail in Albany GA where they were arrested for intergrating lunch counters. Bernice Johnson went on to teach at Howard U, she was the driving force behind Sweet Honey In The Rock and also works at the Smithsonian. Great acapella versions of moving songs. Dogs is the cut.

Freedom Now Freedom Singers; same group as above the songs are little harder and little more original on this set.

The Freedom Riders and the Sit Inners drove thier jailers crazy by singing non-stop. The myth of happy darkies singing in the fields was being destroyed as the true meaning of the old songs become abruptly clear. Instead of suffering in jail and singing the blues they were singing of freedom and being talked about on the nightly news.

Staple Singers Freedom Highway; YOU NEED THIS RECORD. Mavis at her best belting it out in front of a live church audience. The Staple Singers were always singing about freedom and justice but never more than on this record.

March On Washington; August 28th 1963, Martin Luther King, Joan Baez, Odetta, Bob Dylan, Rabbi Joachim Prinz, Marian Anderson, John Lewis and more all condensened to one record.

Songs Of The Freedom Riders and the Sit-Ins Montgomery Gospel Trio, Nashville Quartet and Guy Carawan. Carawan is credited with adapting the Negro spiritual I Shall Overcome to We Shall Overcome which was the theme song for the civil rights movement. Bernice Johnson Reagon says that in the Black Church, as in Jamacia and some African languages, I is understood as we. Or in other words there is only one pronoun for 'we' and 'I'.

No Sell Out; this is a Malcolm X remix by Keith LeBlanc. This has nothing to do with the civil rights movement, and everything to do with Black empowerment.

Bam has the knowledge on the angry spoken word stuff.

Dan