New Nas. Surprisingly unwack.*

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Also from Spine:http://spinemagazine.com/music/january/nas/acrossthetracks.mp3*I say surprisingly since everything I've heard from the new LP so far has been

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    btw, not that Curtis hasn't always been popular sample fodder but is dude enjoying a renaissance of late or what?

"Go Crazy," "Touch the Sky," this joint...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    let's hear the beat he bought for $2,000,000 from pharrell.

• btw, not that Curtis hasn't always been popular sample fodder but is dude enjoying a renaissance of late or what?

"Pushin'" on Bun B's new album has an Impressions sample

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Beat: Solid
    Rhymes: Garbage. All 3 of em, Nas is the worst on this track!?

are they gonna like, add some drums later?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    btw, not that Curtis hasn't always been popular sample fodder but is dude enjoying a renaissance of late or what?

Delete this post before Drewn sees it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I like how they didn't add any drums and just let the loops roll out. I kept expecting a beat to kick in any minute. I think it's a pretty daring move for someone like Nas, but it's definitely more of an album track. I don't imagine I'll be hearing it blasting out of Bimmas on the Cambridge Heath Road anytime soon.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    This is dope, definitely. Some people act like Nas after Illmatic is 100% crap, but he's always got it in him, he just needs a push in the right direction. This is what New York should be doing, if anyone's wondering.

• damn Nas dissed Scott Storch! haha

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Seen it! But have yet to hear...or should I even bother?

Uh... the "pushing" that Bun B, 'Face and Jeezy are urging listeners to engage in is unrelated to the continued struggle for civil rights.

Even I thought it was in questionable taste.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This is dope, definitely. Some people act like Nas after Illmatic is 100% crap, but he's always got it in him, he just needs a push in the right direction. This is what New York should be doing, if anyone's wondering.

Can we get some NYers weighing in on this statement?

• Honestly, this sounds like it's just the rough track that was brought into the studio for the MCs to rock their vocals over -- either that or it's for a mixtape.

I would be very surprised if this hits commercially as is.

I haven't heard the song, but I agree that Nas has been responsible for a lot of worthwhile material post-Illmatic. The only Nas album I've ever bought and then immediately turned around and traded in was that Streets' Disciple terd.

I also agree that what Nas really needs is a strong executive producer, since he seems completely unable to distinguish between a brilliant Nas song and an embarassing one... one person who could actually really help him is Jay.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Uh... the "pushing" that Bun B, 'Face and Jeezy are urging listeners to engage in is unrelated to the continued struggle for civil rights.

HA! That's actually kinda funny...and at the same time completely void of dignity.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    don't listen to him da***l, this track's qualifies for "terd" status. nas comes alright, but those other dudes are pretty trash. and if you're not ghostface i'm not trying to hear the "just loop up a soul record with no drums" approach. especially something as iconic as "other side of town" (and it's not seeing the masta ase version either)

as for the mayfield renaissance, i thought the same thing when i heard this. jeezy even rhymes over the "keep on pushin" vocal loop on TWO different songs!

don't listen to him da***l, this track's qualifies for "terd" status. nas comes alright, but those other dudes are pretty trash. and if you're not ghostface i'm not trying to hear the "just loop up a soul record with no drums" approach. especially something as iconic as "other side of town" (and it's not seeing the masta ase version either)

Thanks--I can now hate from an informed perspective without having to lower myself to actually listening to the song.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Thanks--I can now hate from an informed perspective without having to lower myself to actually listening to the song.

You listen to music?

if you're not ghostface i'm not trying to hear the "just loop up a soul record with no drums" approach.

This pretty much sums it up.

You listen to music?

Rarely

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

I haven't heard the song, but I agree that Nas has been responsible for a lot of worthwhile material post-Illmatic. The only Nas album I've ever bought and then immediately turned around and traded in was that Streets' Disciple terd.

I also agree that what Nas really needs is a strong executive producer, since he seems completely unable to distinguish between a brilliant Nas song and an embarassing one... one person who could actually really help him is Jay.

Delete this post before Bambouche sees it.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

You listen to music?

Rarely

Let me get that FOUR MINTS off you, then...

I am ready for him.

it wasn't that bad. it was worse when silly-ass jr writer flipped it.

with face and bun on some og post-reagan shit, it's more of a depressing homage than exploitation. (the depressing slide from civil rights to crack sales...)

• This is dope, definitely. Some people act like Nas after Illmatic is 100% crap, but he's always got it in him, he just needs a push in the right direction. This is what New York should be doing, if anyone's wondering.

I am ready for him.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this shit wasn't that great and featuring papoose didn't help it at all

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i liked it. but if there gonna flip that sample without drums, they need to beef up the bass in it

It has Papoose on it? It can't be legit, then.

At least I hope Nas hasn't sunk that far.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

It has Papoose on it?

and "Blitz"