"Gloria" by Them

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Is there a longer version of this song on anything? Or a live version that extends out? I coulda swore I've heard a six or seven minute version of this all-time classic.Jeers to me for sleeping on Them *and* the solo work of Van Morrison. Cheers to more great music to explore.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't think there is a longer version by Them (they have a fairly limited catalog, not a lot of live recordings, etc), although there are longer versions by other groups - The Hombres have a 5-6 minute long version, that may have been the one you heard. The Doors have a loooong live version, but you would have recognized it as The Doors ("wrap youuuur hair around my skin")

And, yes - Van Morrison & Them are

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the Shadows of Knight version is dope too.

• I don't think there is a longer version by Them (they have a fairly limited catalog, not a lot of live recordings, etc), although there are longer versions by other groups - The Hombres have a 5-6 minute long version, that may have been the one you heard. The Doors have a loooong live version, but you would have recognized it as The Doors ("wrap youuuur hair around my skin")

And, yes - Van Morrison & Them are

I must be thinking of the Doors version. I could see myself hearing that organ riff and instantly thinking Manzarek in my ignorance.

Yo, if anyone has Them or VM doubles or whatnot they wanna unload, holla on the PMs. Thx.

• the Shadows of Knight version is dope too.

I just got a version by Willie Hobbs and the Dirte Four that is really really good also.

• My alltime fave rock 45. There's a long version by the Hangmen (DC area garage band).

Do not sleep...that Van was a sinister looking little mick....

• patti smith does a curious version, too, and hers is almost 6 min long.

• My alltime fave rock 45. There's a long version by the Hangmen (DC area garage band).

Do not sleep...that Van was a sinister looking little mick....

good thing the photographer for this cover thought about diminutive Van..unlike this photographer

dude looks 4ft tall

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Didn't Van & John Lee Hooker do a long version a few years back?

• the Shadows of Knight version is dope too.

check the female version, 'Melvin'. I believe there is a 60's version but I have the Headcoatee cover from the 80's, a billy childish related project. Nice, raw garage rock.

$??

• Also check the song "Melvin" by Thee Headcoatees. Nice cover with new lyrics.

• Also check the song "Melvin" by Thee Headcoatees. Nice cover with new lyrics.

great minds think alike! Pass the grey poupon mofo!

$??

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    hendrix's version is funny...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    G L O R I A

• Didn't Van & John Lee Hooker do a long version a few years back?

yeah and John Lee's spelling is a little off..."G-L-I-R-R-A" spells it different every chorus