GRAMMY NOMINATION: DANGERMOUSE = DISCUSS (rr)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I'M VAKLEMPT.

"
Category 1

Record Of The Year
(Award to the Artist and to the Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s) and/or Mixer(s), if other than the artist.)

* We Belong Together
Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey, Jermaine Dupri & Manuel Seal, producers; Brian Garten, John
Horesco IV & Phil Tan, engineers/mixers
Track from: The Emancipation Of Mimi
[Island Records]

* Feel Good Inc.
Gorillaz Featuring De La Soul
Cox, Danger Mouse, Dring & Gorillaz, producers; Jason Cox, Danger Mouse &
Gorillaz, engineers/mixers
[Virgin]

* Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Green Day
Rob Cavallo & Green Day, producers; Chris Lord-Alge & Doug McKean,
engineers/mixers
Track from: American Idiot
[Reprise]

* Hollaback Girl
Gwen Stefani
The Neptunes, producers; Andrew Coleman & Phil Tan, engineers/mixers
Track from: Love. Angel. Music. Baby.
[Interscope Records]

* Gold Digger
Kanye West
Jon Brion & Kanye West, producers; Tom Biller, Andrew Dawson, Mike Dean &
Anthony Kilhofer, engineers/mixers
Track from: Late Registration
[Roc-A-Fella]
"

"Category 91

Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical
(A Producer's Award. (Artists names appear in parenthesis.))

* Danger Mouse
??????? Demon Days (Gorillaz) (A)

* Nigel Godrich
??????? Chaos And Creation In The Backyard (Paul McCartney) (A)

* Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis
??????? Be Blessed (Yolanda Adams) (T)
??????? Dance With My Father (Celine Dion) (T)
??????? Harajuku Girls (Gwen Stefani) (T)
??????? Never Too Much (Mary J. Blige) (T)
??????? Nobody Cares (Deborah Cox) (T)
??????? Pure Gold (Earth, Wind And Fire) (T)
??????? These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Jessica Simpson) (S)

* Steve Lillywhite
??????? How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (U2) (A)
??????? Mr. A-Z (Jason Mraz) (A)

* The Neptunes
??????? Already Platinum (Slim Thug Featuring Pharrell) (T)
??????? Hollaback Girl (Gwen Stefani) (T)
??????? Let's Get Blown (Snoop Dogg) (T)
??????? On & On (Missy Elliott) (T)
??????? Say Somethin' (Mariah Carey Featuring Snoop Dogg) (T)
??????? Touch (Omarion) (T)
"

Comments

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I love DM and that's my boy, but I don't know anyone who even heard that Gorillaz record. This is bizarre.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I predict the Rockists will overwhelmingly vote for the Green Day record in Category 1, "record of the year."

Maybe at least they'll let the Neptunes win producers of the year, I hope.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    btw, it's verklempt, get it right goy!

btw, it's verklempt, get it right goy!

thanks! I am not joisey enouf to get it roight.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I never plan on listening to the gorillaz, but nothing I have heard from him is coming close to his Jemini work. Honestly, after that and some of his early 12"s, I foresaw him becoming one of my favorite underground producers. Then I heard the grey album...

I think Anna's avatar sums it up:

C.R.E.A.U(s).

Dolla
    Dolla
    Bill
    Y'all

(cue piano)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I love DM and that's my boy, but I don't know anyone who even heard that Gorillaz record. This is bizarre.

That was without a doubt one of the biggest albums of last year... folks of all ages and backgrounds were buying that shit... about half the times I went to a local record store last year somebody was either asking about it or purchasing it...

And its not bad for what it is, either... I was surprised

Agreed somewhat. Were many peeps aged 30+ walking in and asking for it, though?

I suppose Apple Ipod ad music strikes again! Goes to show who are the real, new content dictators??? THE MEDIUM IS THE MASSAGE.

Try 40+ Rolling Stone readers... (who were scared of rap but wanted to be 'down' I'm assuming?)

Try 40+ Rolling Stone readers...

ROCKISM OVER LONDON, ROCKISM ON CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!

(who were scared of rap but wanted to be 'down' I'm assuming?)

iPOD.

ADS.

DUDE.

That said, Dirty Harry is a great song. Yes, I am dealing with it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Anna,

As others have pointed out - this isn't strange at all. Gorillaz got HUGE play this year thanks to the iPod ad namely but in general, they've definitely mapped onto a few different muscial scenes. The Damon Albarn connect keeps them on NME's radar while hipster/Pitchfork types have been all up on this album this year.

Clearly (and this is not a bad thing) the people you know fall into none of these camps.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    While rubbing her breasts in a fetching manner, a stripper asked us what favorite band of hers she was dancing to.

Gorillaz.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Try 40+ Rolling Stone readers... (who were scared of rap but wanted to be 'down' I'm assuming?)

It's barely a rap record, though, despite the presence of De La, Doom, Booty Brown and Roots Manuva. Some folks on here might be of the opinion that that's precisely why it's barely a rap record. Anyway, I bought it twice this Christmas - once for my girl, who's in her thirties, and once for my youngest nephew, who's nine (and who already had a burnt copy, but wanted a legit one). They both love it, so it seems to have a broad appeal. As cross-cultural/alt.rock/bizarro-pop fusion shit goes, it's pretty good, if not necessarily the kind of shit I'd want to listen to every day of my life.

I'd be interested to hear what this "Gnarls Barkley" thing he's done with Cee-Lo is like, but on the whole I don't really understand why there's quite the fuss about Dangermouse as there appears to be. I liked Just Blaze's comment in Scratch's end-of-year review where he said something to the effect that DM "blew up off my shit", which is sort of true when you think about it.

• I like them. Haven't heard the new album, just what's all over satellite radio and the TV, but the DVD for the last album is Genius. All the animation, skits, and videos are very entertaining. They make pop music interesting again. I guess I better listen to the new one as not to be completely disconnected.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Best bit of it is that De La are up for a Grammy.

Not a bad album at all but definitely not hip hop.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

my partner, 39, sings that song at least once a day and he knows nothing about hip hop, didnt know the dude from blur was in there(and he likes blur)and basically is a country boy from south carolina who can't listen to most of the music i play.

that said, i don't really think they will win for record of the year, but good luck them anyway.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i can deal with "feelgood inc.", i'm not hatting on it. the shit's catchy and i wasn't scurred to put it in my monthly top 10 two months in a row back when it came out. plus i love de la, so props to them.

props to dm too, the guy knows what he's doing, and makes a living doing it. your 15 min of fame is all ya got.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I liked Just Blaze's comment in Scratch's end-of-year review where he said something to the effect that DM "blew up off my shit", which is sort of true when you think about it.

While I am all for hatting on Dangermouse, I'm not sure if I understand this...

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

WHO GIVES A F*** ABOUT A G*D D*MN GRAMMY?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I liked Just Blaze's comment in Scratch's end-of-year review where he said something to the effect that DM "blew up off my shit", which is sort of true when you think about it.

While I am all for hatting on Dangermouse, I'm not sure if I understand this...

I was a bit puzzled by it at first, but I think he was referring to his input on "The Black Album" to which, indirectly, Dangermouse owes his current status to an extent.

It's barely a rap record, though, despite the presence of De La, Doom, Booty Brown and Roots Manuva. Some folks on here might be of the opinion that that's precisely why it's barely a rap record. Anyway, I bought it twice this Christmas - once for my girl, who's in her thirties, and once for my youngest nephew, who's nine (and who already had a burnt copy, but wanted a legit one). They both love it, so it seems to have a broad appeal. As cross-cultural/alt.rock/bizarro-pop fusion shit goes, it's pretty good, if not necessarily the kind of shit I'd want to listen to every day of my life.

Yeah, I don't think its a rap record at all... but the kind of thing someone who doesn't normally listen to rap would find acceptable, thats all I was saying...

At its best it sounds like early 80s pop, which isn't a bad thing... but not one of the best albums of the year by any means. First okay-sounding thing I've heard from Dangermouse, which is why I found it surprising...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Yeah, I don't think its record at all... but the kind of thing someone who doesn't normally listen to music would find acceptable

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Dangermouse is the PDQ Bach of rap music.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    good for him.

why is everyone so hateful?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

good for him.

Because he's completely undeserving of being recognized as one of the five best or most accomplished producers in hip-hop, much less all of popular music, in the past year.

Now why people expect the Grammys to be in any way meaningful I cannot say.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    good for him.

Because he's completely undeserving of being recognized as one of the five best or most accomplished producers in hip-hop, much less all of popular music, in the past year.

good for him.

I know what you want me to do and since I'm a nice guy I'm going to oblige you:

Bun B total sales to date: 386,721

Dangerdoom total sales to date: Oh snap! Too much trouble to retrieve since it fell out of the top 200 weeks ago...[/b]

I know what you want me to do and since I'm a nice guy I'm going to oblige you:

Bun B total sales to date: 386,721

Dangerdoom total sales to date: Oh snap! Too much trouble to retrieve since it fell out of the top 200 weeks ago...[/b]