To Purge or not to Purge?

HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So here's the deal: Back when I was just getting into DJing, I was buying up strictly hip-hop. As the years moved on and my tasted changed a bit I got into other genres (jazz, soul, funk, disco, etc.) and stopped buying/playing out hip-hop.So I haven't bought a hip-hop single in a few years and am considering just getting rid of all of them to make room/funds for other records.The question is, what would you do (have done)?Most of the 12s are mid/late 90s quasi-underground backpacker type stuff. Keep for posterity or dump 'em?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So here's the deal: Back when I was just getting into DJing, I was buying up strictly hip-hop. As the years moved on and my tasted changed a bit I got into other genres (jazz, soul, funk, disco, etc.) and stopped buying/playing out hip-hop.

So I haven't bought a hip-hop single in a few years and am considering just getting rid of all of them to make room/funds for other records.

The question is, what would you do (have done)?

Most of the 12s are mid/late 90s quasi-underground backpacker type stuff. Keep for posterity or dump 'em?

I'm inclined to semi-clown and say that you're answering your own question here.

But honestly, it comes down to whether or not any of this music still speaks to you. I wouldn't use the fact that today's hip-hop leaves you inspired to be reflection on whether hip-hop from 10 years ago is any more or less valuable TO YOU.

That said, what I've done is gone through my collection and vetted out whatever I knew, on a gut level, I'd never want to listen to. Ever. Those are kind of easy. What's tougher are those that you're on the fence about but in those cases, you should probably dump those too.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I'm inclined to semi-clown and say that you're answering your own question here.

But honestly, it comes down to whether or not any of this music still speaks to you. I wouldn't use the fact that today's hip-hop leaves you inspired to be reflection on whether hip-hop from 10 years ago is any more or less valuable TO YOU.

That said, what I've done is gone through my collection and vetted out whatever I knew, on a gut level, I'd never want to listen to. Ever. Those are kind of easy. What's tougher are those that you're on the fence about but in those cases, you should probably dump those too.

Great advice. I think it comes down to a few realistic considerations: Do you have the space, time, and funds to hang on to them? Ultimately, if you can't decide, I think Odub's right about the "gut feeling." Keep a digital of those heavy hitters, and pray Bill Gates/Google/Apple/Cable Companies/Initech implements the ultimate, affordable, and instantaneous on demand content archive/library in the near future (I think this will happen in our lifetimes). Also, another factor I consider is selling / trading / giving many records to friends and associates for cheap because I know they will enjoy them more than me. Record Karma.

"My Name Is M*rk."

• I'm inclined to semi-clown and say that you're answering your own question here.

Great advice. I think it comes down to a few things:

Do you have the space, time, and funds to hang on to them? Ultimately if you can't decide, I think Odub's right about the "gut feeling."

I've sold / traded / given many records to friends and associates for cheap because I knew they would enjoy them more than me. Record Karma.

My Name Is M*rk.

As the proud owner of a new microwave, I will be purging my collection to contain only the Priority Hip Hop Classics/Phat Blunts/Pass The Mic/Hip Hops Most Wanted/West Side/East Side compilations and Dirtstyle braeks.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

As the proud owner of a new microwave, I will be purging my collection to contain only the Priority Hip Hop Classics/Phat Blunts/Pass The Mic/Hip Hops Most Wanted/West Side/East Side compilations and Dirtstyle braeks.

YOU ARE WELL ON YOUR WAY TO HAVING DJ PREMIER CELEBRATE YOUR ENTIRE CATALOG.

• As the proud owner of a new microwave, I will be purging my collection to contain only the Priority Hip Hop Classics/Phat Blunts/Pass The Mic/Hip Hops Most Wanted/West Side/East Side compilations and Dirtstyle braeks.

YOU ARE WELL ON YOUR WAY TO HAVING DJ PREMIER CELEBRATE YOUR ENTIRE CATALOG.

oh, I forgot the Blue Note Braeks and Sack of Soul compilations too!