Del Jones' Positive Vibes Appreciation

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Naw, I ain't got no OG or nothin, but Rockadelic R*** hooked me up w/ his fine fine reissue. Nice slab o' vinyl w/ the notes from the drum of the man himself.But anyway, man does this record smoke. The last cut, "Cold Turkey" is a prime slice of fuzzfunkpsych madness, w/ the flute and vocals merging to invoke some sort of Coltrane "Live in Seattle" brainmelt. BUt the whole thing is good touching on jazz, funk and fuzz. The pics of the session on the back of the album make complete sense. Great stuff. Thanks SS.

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    was this from the pam anderson/kfc contest?
    dang, u lucky gene.

and yeah, the whole album is nice. when i hear the opening funky guitar, i get happy

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Great record! I happened to mention it to an older jazz head at a work related function and he totally bugged out that I knew about it. The dude said that he knows Del and that he's still around Philly. I guess he owns a revolutionary book shop or something along those lines. My copy is beat to shit, but it still gets plenty of spins. I love the grooves, sounds and feel of the music, but the message is the most valuable thing to me about this record.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Great record! I happened to mention it to an older jazz head at a work related function and he totally bugged out that I knew about it. The dude said that he knows Del and that he's still around Philly. I guess he owns a revolutionary book shop[/b] or something along those lines. My copy is beat to shit, but it still gets plenty of spins. I love the grooves, sounds and feel of the music, but the message is the most valuable thing to me about this record.
    Damn, I gotta hear this. Why is rock sitting on so many copies (I think I've seen him slang them in other threads).

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    he reished it, no?

• was this from the pam anderson/kfc contest?
    dang, u lucky gene.

and yeah, the whole album is nice. when i hear the opening funky guitar, i get happy

I'm the winner of the pam anderson/kfc contest and don't you forget it buddy.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    one of my hookups s-- reissued this on his label legit. from what i understand someone else later reissued it (scorpio maybe) illegit.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    he reished it, no?
    That's what I thought, but it's not on the rockadelic sight.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i recently purchased reissues lightmen- energy control center and the del jones positive vibes from dustygroove, (with light weight on the stylus) the lightmen re-vinyl sounds fucked but the del jones still sounds good... in other words a nice reissue!

• I saw the reissue for sale at TSL around in 2000, so it's been around for a while

• he reished it, no?
    That's what I thought, but it's not on the rockadelic sight.

It's not on his site, but he did reissue it and I believe he has more. It's a nice package and a bargain price. Nice one!

• If i remember correctly the loopen reissue is the original "psych" mix with no horns. i think rockadelic put this one out. get the current reissue if you want the second mix with horns and more percussion.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    B****,
    Glad your'e digging the LP.....my buddy S**tt and I put this out on his Loopden label. We both got to meet with Del and do this the right way with his input, liner notes and $$$ going into his pocket. It was actually a third party, a legendary collector from N.O. named S**v*, that found an original and turned us on to it. Del is still recording and putting out a monthly newsletter called "The War Correspondant" which some folks might consider racist.

The Loopden re-issue is indeed the first mix w/o the horns. Del's brother re-mixed the LP with horns being recorded and overdubbed at Electric Lady Studios about a year after the first release and put it out with a different cover. The Horn mix has the African Map cover and the "psych" mix has the cover shown below. Del prefers the "psych" mix!!

I have found that in the "psych world" the mere mention of a black artist or the word 'funk" sends alot of guys running the other way so we never really sold many copies of our release to that crowd. That's why we have a bunch left and I've let a few go at basically cost to some SS folks. Glad to hear some of you are digging it, that's why we put this stuff out, so folks can hear music they otherwise wouldn't and NOT to get rich and famous, believe me!!

Rich

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Del is still recording and putting out a monthly newsletter called "The War Correspondant" which some folks might consider racist.

Tepid! You like a Network News impartial slant.

Del is still recording and putting out a monthly newsletter called "The War Correspondant" which some folks might consider racist.

Spliff,
    I sat down and spent a good amount of time talking to Del and I did not walk away thinking he was a racist. However, if some folks were to go to his website and read quotes like...

"Hopefully, the murderous nature of white supremacy has been thoroughly established. Of course, I could go on and on with more graphic examples of their hunger and thirst for blood. By now, however, I trust that you do get the point. Not to mention that many white liberals with their Black pals will claim that I am blaming the whole white race for the acts of a few."

Or.......if they read Del's statements about white people's "hi-jacking" of black culture, including rap and hip-hop, especially folks here on SS, some might feel that Del's message was "Anti-White"...

"While many Blacks organize against the music of our youth, many times they forget that the music chosen, promoted, broadcasted and flooded into global markets is the sounds selected by outsiders. These sources hate us and its reflected in the music they develop or chose to exploit that they want to profit from as they destroy our global and self images.

Having seized Jazz from our people, they redefined Jazz to include white Pop Artists covering Top 40 and R&B songs as they created a new category called Easy Listening. Meanwhile, Black Artists who use to explore space and time were allowed to die off as new ones were prevented, in the main, from being created. Then they changed the definition of Jazz. And because they controlled everything including the trade and fan magazines, they could justify the theft as their propaganda wing sanctioned the invasion and rearrangement of Afrikan culture... ya follow me?
    Organizing award programs and setting standards as they set themselves up as judge and jury of musical art forms they didn???t create or truly understand, they now could legitimatize themselves as the authorities. Using their total mass media, which includes the so-called Black mass media, to establish power and authority they rein supreme.

The Grammy Awards which several years ago frowned on Hip Hop Music (Rap Music) as less then a musical art form. Until they got economic control over the music, they kept it outside their ???mainstream??? just as they had did during the early years of Jazz. Now after the corporate raiders have cornered and captured Hip Hop and they have infiltrated it and economically and creatively control the music they now put it in the center of things. A major reason for this is Rap Music's global popularity and off the chart profits.

Because they are judge and jury their recent crowning of White Rapper Eminem, they gave him three Grammys, completes the coup of Hip Hop. We, of course, have Dr. Dre to blame as he created, produced and presented the Po??? White Trash Rapper to the world. Eminem latest hit record deals with a fan in love with a recording artist (himself) who jumps over the edge by killing himself and his pregnant girl friend because he didn???t get an answer to his fan letters from the star.

At the Grammys white performer Elton John sung the hook to the song and played the piano as Eminem went through his changes. The significance was obvious; the song was about an idol worshipping and homosexual fixation of a young man, Elton John is a champion of homosexual causes, the acceptance of Eminem by the white collective as a conquerer of a musical genre they had been trying to co-opt for years (Hip Hop), and he top the charts globally making whites proud. Even Pat Boone, the Mormon Culture Bandit, praised the theft. Many forget how Boone use to rip-off Little Richard's and other Blacks in the 50s".

You be the judge....as a white man who supports/performs/hi-jacks Hip-Hop and/or Rap

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I would agree with almost everything he says - and am having trouble finding any "racism" in it.

Spliff,
    I sat down and spent a good amount of time talking to Del and I did not walk away thinking he was a racist. However, if some folks were to go to his website and read quotes like...

"Hopefully, the murderous nature of white supremacy has been thoroughly established. Of course, I could go on and on with more graphic examples of their hunger and thirst for blood. By now, however, I trust that you do get the point. Not to mention that many white liberals with their Black pals will claim that I am blaming the whole white race for the acts of a few."

Or.......if they read Del's statements about white people's "hi-jacking" of black culture, including rap and hip-hop, especially folks here on SS, some might feel that Del's message was "Anti-White"...

"While many Blacks organize against the music of our youth, many times they forget that the music chosen, promoted, broadcasted and flooded into global markets is the sounds selected by outsiders. These sources hate us and its reflected in the music they develop or chose to exploit that they want to profit from as they destroy our global and self images.

Having seized Jazz from our people, they redefined Jazz to include white Pop Artists covering Top 40 and R&B songs as they created a new category called Easy Listening. Meanwhile, Black Artists who use to explore space and time were allowed to die off as new ones were prevented, in the main, from being created. Then they changed the definition of Jazz. And because they controlled everything including the trade and fan magazines, they could justify the theft as their propaganda wing sanctioned the invasion and rearrangement of Afrikan culture... ya follow me?
    Organizing award programs and setting standards as they set themselves up as judge and jury of musical art forms they didn???t create or truly understand, they now could legitimatize themselves as the authorities. Using their total mass media, which includes the so-called Black mass media, to establish power and authority they rein supreme.

The Grammy Awards which several years ago frowned on Hip Hop Music (Rap Music) as less then a musical art form. Until they got economic control over the music, they kept it outside their ???mainstream??? just as they had did during the early years of Jazz. Now after the corporate raiders have cornered and captured Hip Hop and they have infiltrated it and economically and creatively control the music they now put it in the center of things. A major reason for this is Rap Music's global popularity and off the chart profits.

Because they are judge and jury their recent crowning of White Rapper Eminem, they gave him three Grammys, completes the coup of Hip Hop. We, of course, have Dr. Dre to blame as he created, produced and presented the Po??? White Trash Rapper to the world. Eminem latest hit record deals with a fan in love with a recording artist (himself) who jumps over the edge by killing himself and his pregnant girl friend because he didn???t get an answer to his fan letters from the star.

At the Grammys white performer Elton John sung the hook to the song and played the piano as Eminem went through his changes. The significance was obvious; the song was about an idol worshipping and homosexual fixation of a young man, Elton John is a champion of homosexual causes, the acceptance of Eminem by the white collective as a conquerer of a musical genre they had been trying to co-opt for years (Hip Hop), and he top the charts globally making whites proud. Even Pat Boone, the Mormon Culture Bandit, praised the theft. Many forget how Boone use to rip-off Little Richard's and other Blacks in the 50s".

You be the judge....as a white man who supports/performs/hi-jacks Hip-Hop and/or Rap

bob_bannister take note! What exactly do you disagree with in the above, and why would it be racist if it were true or even if you could prove it to be wrong? (which you can't)

I don't support, perform or hi-jack rap, just ask Delay. I like hip hop, but I would argue that it is not a purely black african creation, comprende? And anyway I am mainly a spectator when it comes to hip hop culture.

Spliff,

bob_bannister take note! What exactly do you disagree with in the above, and why would it be racist if it were true or even if you could prove it to be wrong? (which you can't)

I don't support, perform or hi-jack rap, just ask Delay. I like hip hop, but I would argue that it is not a purely black african creation, comprende? And anyway I am mainly a spectator when it comes to hip hop culture.

Same here.....I'm a spectator of these genre's...but I know that alot of people here are heavily involved. While I also agree with the basics of what Del says about the state of music, I tend to look at it more as an evolution as opposed to a hi-jacking. In some ways I think his message supports musical segregation which I do not agree with.

Can you imagine a similar statement about how the black man "hi-jacked" the white man's sports like Basketball and Football......c'mon.

And the first statement which insinuates that white people are murderous and blood thirsty as a whole, along with the phrase "Po White Trash" could be viewed as "racist".

All I was doing was preparing people who MIGHT be offended by Del's message.

For the record, I am not.

Can you imagine a similar statement about how the black man "hi-jacked" the white man's sports like Basketball and Football......c'mon.

Come on, can you not see the absurdity of comparing blacks breaking into franchise sports with whites appropriating a culture for their own financial benefit. Purely on numbers, it is a fallacy, not to mention the questionable logic.

Some white people may well get offended that blacks can have an opinion.

Come on, can you not see the absurdity of comparing blacks breaking into franchise sports with whites appropriating a culture for their own financial benefit. Purely on numbers, it is a fallacy, not to mention the questionable logic.

Some white people may well get offended that blacks can have an opinion.

Let me ask you this....

Are the Black Panthers a racist organization??

Is it even possible for a black person to be racist??

I know some folks subscribe to the theory that only majorities can be racist by definition.

And as far as sports go.....aren't all those folks in Italy and throughout Europe that are protesting players of color participating in Soccer matches racist??

Isn't exclusion of people based on their racial/ethnic group considered racisim and/or bigotry on any level.

There is a new movie out about the West Texas College basketball team that broke the color barrier back in the 60's by winning the National Championship while beating the very racist coach of Kentucky, Adolph Rupp. Rupp's contention was that Basketball was a white man's game and that black players should be excluded from playing it.

Today in 2005 not only do black players dominate the game, they even own some of the teams and reap alot of the financial benefits.

Isn't saying that Rap/Hip Hop is a black man's music and that white people should not participate and reap the riches of it somewhat similar???