I can't wait to hear this

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I hope the rest of the songs are even half as good as "didn't I."Image hosted by Photobucket.comDarondo -- Let My People Go . . . LP . . . $12.99?? (Item:??403689)Luv N' Haight, Early 70s Condition: New Copy ???? View Cart ???? Mad homegrown soul from the enigmatic Darondo -- a brief Bay Area star back in the 70s, and also host of TV comedy and children's shows! Darondo only ever recorded 3 singles, but they're all pretty darn great -- a weird mix of funk, soul, and sly slinky grooves -- very unique in conception, and with a heady, tripped-out vision that makes us wish he'd recorded more. Luv N Haight have really done Darondo justice with this set -- bringing together all 6 tracks from the singles, plus 3 more previously unissued numbers -- all in a great package that features words from the man himself, plus some great images from his older TV shows. A near-lost soul figure, but one with enough charisma to fill the careers of other more famous acts! Titles include "How I Got Over", "Let My People Go", "Legs (part 1)", "True", "Didn't I", "I Want Your Love So Bad", "My Momma & My Poppa", "Sure Know How To Love Me", and "Listen To My Song".

Comments

• PROPS TO JINX74!!!! Congrats dude, I'm so stoked for you. And don't forget! To lace me with dist. info. If coolchris logs in, can I holler at you for this?

Dope dope dope dope.

• Oh and btw the rest of the material on there is

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Nice one!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oh and btw the rest of the material on there is

Co-signage.

Title track?

• Definitely looking forward to hearing the rest of his material. What's with the spelling difference?

edit reason: JPEG SIZE!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    dreas read my mind.

And is there any way to just put profits from this project directly into dorando's bank account?

I have an entire paycheck to contribute.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    im really excited about this project. it all came so fast though. found darondo, interviewed him, gave his contact info to ubiquity, a reel was found, and now an album. less than a year?

its been fun as well for him and i. weve both been doing magazine, radio, and newspaper interviews. hes playing music again and singing to damn near anyone who asks him too. hes just a real kind older dude whos excited that someone really loves his music.

i hope you all dig it as much as i have. i will be honest though and say that his three singles that came out are really the winners but the extra tracks on his reel that werent released are great too. the mom and dad one is a funky track so dont let the title fool you.

ill record a part of one or two of the tunes as a preview for yall a little later after my laundry is done.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

That'd be dope - thanks Jus!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    im really excited about this project. it all came so fast though. found darondo, interviewed him, gave his contact info to ubiquity, a reel was found, and now an album. less than a year?

its been fun as well for him and i. weve both been doing magazine, radio, and newspaper interviews. hes playing music again and singing to damn near anyone who asks him too. hes just a real kind older dude whos excited that someone really loves his music.

i hope you all dig it as much as i have. i will be honest though and say that his three singles that came out are really the winners but the extra tracks on his reel that werent released are great too. the mom and dad one is a funky track so dont let the title fool you.

ill record a part of one or two of the tunes as a preview for yall a little later after my laundry is done.

Dude, it is because of people like you that people like me get to hear the music we love. Thank you so much, i cant wait to buy this. You are a legend.

these are just snippets of a few on the album... except #3.

1. Sure Know How
    2. True
    3. Such A Night
    4. My Momma and My Poppa

Darondo Snippets

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    So is it DORANDO or DARONDO?

Darondo... his middle name is actually Daron.

Daron Do(ugh)... he signs his name Daron Do.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Currently listening to this right now. A must scoop for everybody. So scoop it.

Get to scoopin.

Go on now.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    J, will this be available on CD?

NM. Found it.

• snippet sounds mad nice! looking forward to this...

and, sorry for crossposting, but here's a little "didn't i" edit i did:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QRC1ZXTEWK4B32RDN8Y5BZ9UM

enjoy!

• these are just snippets of a few on the album... except #3.

1. Sure Know How
    2. True
    3. Such A Night
    4. My Momma and My Poppa

Darondo Snippets

Jinx, this is AMAZING! Can't wait to cop this!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Got this in the mail today--blazing.

• Indeed--hot stuff! The SF Weekly even got some hack to review it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

is there a sound/quality difference between the green label pressing and the off-white one with red printing?

• Very dope shit, Jinx. Congratulations on the release -- I gotta cop it.

• This is great, I have to get one ASAP. Where can I cop this in SF? There was something (intentionally?) dyslexic about Daron Do's recording career concerning A's and O's on the labels. "Won't your love so bad" on the Ocampo 45?

whats weird is that ray dobard who ran music city should of known how to spell his name since he spent the longest time working with darondo. however he didnt... dorando? i dont know... dudes name is daron and thats what folks called him.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Currently listening to this right now. A must scoop for everybody. So scoop it.

Get to scoopin.

Go on now.

Agreed. This is great music, and a must-purchase. A great start to 2006. But I have three questions:

1. Why wasn't Such A Night included? And why were other specific tracks mentioned in the liner that weren't on the CD? I feel cheated somehow.
    2. Jervis's text, although serviceable, neglects to account for the most pressing question regarding Darondo's life and times: how the hell did a Black man that recorded only three 45s on small labels in the early 70s get the money to afford a Rolls Royce and years of world touring? I'm guessing the line "unable to divulge or really remember these times" is designed to excuse the omission.
    3. Who was in charge of the cd layout? It was a tad confusing, despite the excellent pictures.

(and please - no P.C. bullshit about #2. It's a valid question.)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn Justin, This shit is DOPE!!!!!!!! I'll be in SF this weekend. Do they sell this album at the Nikko or the Ritz-Carlton?

I'm sure I can get it at groove merchant.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my face is melting, add to cart at dustygroove.

1. Why wasn't Such A Night included? And why were other specific tracks mentioned in the liner that weren't on the CD? I feel cheated somehow.
    2. Jervis's text, although serviceable, neglects to account for the most pressing question regarding Darondo's life and times: how the hell did a Black man that recorded only three 45s on small labels in the early 70s get the money to afford a Rolls Royce and years of world touring? I'm guessing the line "unable to divulge or really remember these times" is designed to excuse the omission.
    3. Who was in charge of the cd layout? It was a tad confusing, despite the excellent pictures.

great questions!... first off, thanks to everyone whos appreciating the cd. its quite good and the first album project ive ever worked on...

questions:

1. i dont know. its actually one of my more favorite tracks along with "true". "packin up" wasnt included but thats probably for the best... a little weak to me. its not like there wasnt enough room to drop another track on the album. the other tracks mentioned was from a project he did with dobard or this latina lady. problem is is that darondo doesnt really remember. the reels for the latina lady are god knows where and the extra tracks that he did for dobard are either at atlantic records (where dobard was trying to get darondo a deal) or with his daughter who has the remainder of his collection/inventory/stock.

2. really, darondo was a pimp. plain and simple. he wont speak about it and local musicians, nervous or not about dude, wont speak about the man without his blessing. he must of been kinda gangster at some point but hes a small dude and kinda thin. hes super nice though and one of the most genuine people ive ever met. so thats it... i cant tell you anymore because quite frankly i dont know. hes only given us two stories about those days and they were more gangsterish than pimpish... he said that he had a lot of lady friends who would stay with him from time to time and give him their money to hold onto... thats about all youre gonna get at this point. also, the text is partially mine and partially andrews. i did the interview though so anything in quotes is from the interviews i conducted with him last year.

3. i dont know... and yes, a tad confusing. and yes, the pictures are awesome. i think theyre going to put video from his tv shows and the interview i did with him on their website at some point... maybe.

does this kinda answer your questions? if you have more please feel free to write here or PM me.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That about covers it. Thanks for the answers. Everyone I've read, from The Onion to Time Out Chicago (thanks to Pickwick) is jocking this. Good for them. I'm thinking that the first run should sell out easily, depending on the amount pressed.