DMX: call it a comeback?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Given that it's been three years since DMX's last album...which might as well be 10 years given how fast hip-hop's tastes move...anyone want to handicap if he's going to return to multi-plat form with this summer's album? By the way, he just signed with Sony Urban after ditching Def Jam.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Given that it's been three years since DMX's last album...which might as well be 10 years given how fast hip-hop's tastes move...anyone want to handicap if he's going to return to multi-plat form with this summer's album?

Is this a serious question?

Dude's been done. It's not like he went out on top three years ago or anything.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Does it matter? Ain't he the biggest *hip hop* selling artist off Def Jam?

He should just stick to movies. Not that I wanna see any of them.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    whatever happened with all his legal troubles?

• Given that it's been three years since DMX's last album...which might as well be 10 years given how fast hip-hop's tastes move...anyone want to handicap if he's going to return to multi-plat form with this summer's album?

By the way, he just signed with Sony Urban after ditching Def Jam.

Doesn't he (think he) work(s) for the FBI???

• stick a fork in him... it's been a long time since anything he made mattered... i imagine this comeback is going to be pretty awful

that raises another question, what rappers have made successful comebacks?... i'm having trouble thinking of anyone who was big laying low and coming back to be big again

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Given that it's been three years since DMX's last album...which might as well be 10 years given how fast hip-hop's tastes move...anyone want to handicap if he's going to return to multi-plat form with this summer's album?

By the way, he just signed with Sony Urban after ditching Def Jam.

probably not, but i'd still like to hear new stuff from dude. 'give em what they want' was aiight

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

G-Unit rumors at least its Sony. Single works or he's toast

His moves during his absence on the scene we're more entertaining than most of his recent output.

That bathroom fight with the european lil jon fan
    hilarity

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I could be wrong Faux, but this last album still debuted #1 and went multiplatinum. I'm not suggesting dude is still red hot but it's not like he flopped hard and then disappeared.

As for his legal troubles, I think they're mostly done. For now.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Just heard he's in the studio today in NYC. With about 50 entourage - always a good sign.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Can he do the Laffy Taffy dance?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I could be wrong Faux, but this last album still debuted #1 and went multiplatinum. I'm not suggesting dude is still red hot but it's not like he flopped hard and then disappeared.

It was certified one-time platinum, and I have a hard time believing that it actually sold anywhere near a million copies as I never once heard the single even on NY radio.

He's done.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Imagine the DMX "Laffy Taffy" remix.

"that laffy taffy...WHAT?!...that laffy taffy...WHAT?!"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    He should just stick to movies. Not that I wanna see any of them.

Dude, that movie he did with Steven Seagal was off the hook insane. In the opening sequence, Seagal blows up a helicopter by shooting it with a pistol. It just gets crazier from there.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Dude is without question the biggest dork in music. I've always hated him - I can't remember one song I really fucked with him beside Money, Cash, Hoes - and that was a Jay track. Ain't No Other Cat Got Love or whatever it was called was a cool party track - but for real - this dude's a fucking herb. Relax b - it's music - stop taking yourself so seriously. He cries after every show? Give me a fucking break. I know of no one cornier than this dude. And have you heard him talk about his relationship with God and all that bullshit? Please dude. Dude needs to make like Houston and rip his eye out if he's so intense. Then maybe I'll think he's sort of rad.

Legal troubles aside. Hasn't dude pissed off enough people by not showing up to shit? Be it media/gigs/etc?

But yeah... Has he ever done an album that sold under a mill?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Imagine the DMX "Laffy Taffy" remix.

"that laffy taffy...WHAT?!...that laffy taffy...WHAT?!"

hilarious!

HA.. DMX trivia says:

"He is now the only artist in the history of the Billboard Charts to have his first five albums debut at number one on the Billboard Charts."

More great DMX Trivia..

"6th best selling rapper of all time."

"Beat rapper Jay-Z in a rap battle."

"Was hit by a drunk driver when he was a little kid."

"Has a religion-related skit on each of his CDs."

"His family was a Jehovah's Witness when he was young."

• theres a swizz beats track on DMX's last record callled "we bout to blow" that was dope - was released as a b-side but didn't go anywhere. snare-y fast rap (107 BPM or so), i likededed it.

i think dude still has the potential to put out decent songs, but i'm doubtful of a "comeback"

• theres a swizz beats track on DMX's last record callled "we bout to blow" that was dope - was released as a b-side but didn't go anywhere. snare-y fast rap (107 BPM or so), i likededed it.

i think dude still has the potential to put out decent songs, but i'm doubtful of a "comeback"

Wasn't there a Swizz-produced 12"? I remember getting it in the pool.

Then I remember selling it.

Need I say more? What a giant deusche - and I can't see any turd sandwich that's in the running with him.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Need I say more? What a giant deusche - and I can't see any turd sandwich that's in the running with him.

somebody watched south park last night!
    Is that how you spell douche? Deusche looks like something relating to germany

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    There was Brenda, Latisha, Linda, Felicia
    Dawn, Leshaun, Ines, and Alicia
    Teresa, Monica, Sharron, Nicki
    Lisa, Veronica, Karen, Vicky
    Cookies, well I met her in a ice cream parlor
    Tonya, Diane, Lori and Carla
    Marina, Selena, Katrina, Sabrina
    About three Kims, Latoya, and Tina
    Shelley, Bridget, Cavi, Rasheeda
    Kelly, Nicole, Angel, Juanita
    Stacy, Tracie, Rohna, and Ronda
    Donna, Ulanda, Tawana, and Wanda

somebody watched south park last night!
    Is that how you spell douche? Deusche looks like something relating to germany

Yea the spelling of that word has always been a mystery to me. I think I did spell something else entirely.

• DMX is like the Chuck Norris of this rap shit--expect some deadly roundhouse action resulting from this thread.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    man i remember those canibus vs dmx mixtapes at the flea market. funniest journalistic comment i ever read on the dude was he sounded like "the black version of everlast" haha

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If anybody on soulstrut owns a DMX CD I think you should admit it in this thread.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

that raises another question, what rappers have made successful comebacks?... i'm having trouble thinking of anyone who was big laying low and coming back to be big again

LIL BOW WOW

• Given that it's been three years since DMX's last album...which might as well be 10 years given how fast hip-hop's tastes move...anyone want to handicap if he's going to return to multi-plat form with this summer's album?

You're not wrong. His last album debuted at number one, making him the first artist to have 5 consecutive records debut at #1.

I wouldn't count dude out. He could hit big easily.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    If anybody on soulstrut owns a DMX CD I think you should admit it in this thread.

I don't own one, but if someone gave me a copy, selling it to Disc-Go-Round wouldn't even cross my mind (read: the Chuck Norris comparison).

Slick Rick did his thing a back in 98 or 99. That album went platinum. Hmmm - who else....