How do Yall feel about Alito? (NRR)

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Ive actually been watching the proceedings this time, and honestly, i dont think he seems like that bad of a guy. Of course he basicly dodges any question that would indicate how he feels about anything, but he does so in a way that indicates to me that he will take a mostly non partisan stance on most of the issues. Im a little worried about some of his views, but i think he respects the concept of the precedence of some decisions. Id be interested to hear what some of yall lawyers think about him, cause I sometimes get lost in the mumbo jumbo. Id still rather have him though than any member of our crackpot congress, democrat or republican. Your thoughts?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    You are mistaken, he's been coached intensively, by none other than the R. senators who are questioning him.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    You are mistaken, he's coached intensively the R. senators who are questioning him.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    You are mistaken, he's coached intensively the R. senators who are questioning him.

I know they had some practice hearings. But I dont know that they are dictating what his opinion should be. Im sure theres some politics involved, but it does seem like there are many senators there that would vote no on anyone bush happened to appoint.

Is he really that bad?

P.S. WHats Starry Decisis?

I could be wrong, im pretty ignorant about alot of that stuff, thats why im asking peoples opinions.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

I know they had some practice hearings. But I dont know that they are dictating what his opinion should be. Im sure theres some politics involved, but it does seem like there are many senators there that would vote no on anyone bush happened to appoint.

Is he really that bad?

P.S. WHats Starry Decisis?

I could be wrong, im pretty ignorant about alot of that stuff, thats why im asking peoples opinions.

stare decisis is basically the principle that a judge will follow settled precedent. so, for example, a few years ago Rehnquist wrote an opinion which upheld a suspect's Miranda rights ("You have the right to remain silent. . .") even though he personally believed that the Constitution did not require such warnings because it was settled law.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Some senators slips are showing for sure.

Grandstanding and overdramatizing things for the cameras.

Right now I want to recall a bunch of Democratic and republican senators and replace them some B-list actors with gray beards

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Right now I want to recall a bunch of Democratic and republican senators and replace them some B-list actors with gray beards

May as well, it's all running off a script. I'm gonna start practicing my Spanish.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

i wouldn't tell boxer or feinstein that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i wouldn't tell boxer or feinstein that.

I think someone should

Kennedy keeps his frilly

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There is something very wrong about Ted Kennedy questioning another man's integrity.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    There is something very wrong about Ted Kennedy questioning another man's integrity.

i hear you on that. . .but Kennedy did raise a good point about Alioto's failure to recuse himself on the mutual fund matter even though he promised the judiciary committee he would during his court of appeal nomination proceeding.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    These hearings are a freaking waste of time these days. None of the nominees are going to say anything controversial unless they're just so full of themselves such as Bork that they CAN'T stop talking. This applies to Democratic as well as Republican court nominees.

Overall, I think he's a basic conservative justice. Not on the hard right like Scalia and Thomas, but still on the right. He's talked about the unitary exectuive theory which is a conservative argument that the President as the chief executive has far ranging powers. This means he can fire people in the executive or who work for the executive which I don't think many people would mind. It's also been used to say that the President can declare war without Congress and that he can break treaties that the U.S. has signed which are American law such as the Geneva Convention's prohibitions against torture in times of war. A couple times he's also talked like a strict constructionism which is the view of Scalia that you need to go back to what the wriers of the Constitution originally thought, rather than basing your decisions on how the law and courts have interpreted that law over time. Both of those are pretty right-wing positions. On the other hand, he's also said that the President isn't above the law.

His appointment, which I see as a done deal will tilt the court to the right, but I think that was inevitable with Reagan x2, Bush, then Bush x2 for presidents.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Did you know it took 10 months for Thurgood Marshall to be confirmed to the 2nd Circuit?

How far we have come when nowadays we have a CNN poll questioning people on whether or not they think the Democrats are being too hard on Alito...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

i hear you on that. . .but Kennedy did raise a good point about Alioto's failure to recuse himself on the mutual fund matter even though he promised the judiciary committee he would during his court of appeal nomination proceeding.

I guess, but i mean, 12 years had passed, and even then there was nothing really requiring that he do so. Ethics commitees agreed on that, so what we have then is the fact that this dude broke a promise once. Wow, im sure none of the senators present have ever done something that bad!

• ryanryan 334 Posts

I guess, but i mean, 12 years had passed, and even then there was nothing really requiring that he do so. Ethics commitees agreed on that, so what we have then is the fact that this dude broke a promise once. Wow, im sure none of the senators present have ever done something that bad!

true, but i hold judges to higher standards than policiticans. the appearance of impartiality comes with the gig.

• from savethecourt.org

In one case that came before Alito, an African American had been convicted of felony murder and sentenced to death by an all-white jury from which black jurors had been impermissibly struck. Alito cast the deciding vote and wrote the majority opinion in a 2-1 ruling rejecting the defendant???s claims. The full Third Circuit reversed Alito???s ruling, and the majority specifically criticized him for having compared statistical evidence about the prosecution???s exclusion of blacks from juries in capital cases to an explanation of why a disproportionate number of recent U.S. Presidents have been left-handed. According to the majority, ???[t]o suggest any comparability to the striking of jurors based on their race is to minimize the history of discrimination against prospective black jurors and black defendants.???

basically he's saying that amount of discrimination against black people is about the same as the discrimination against left handed people.

He was also part of this organization in his collegiant years, 'Concerned Alumni of Princeton', a conservative group founded because of the influx of minorities and women on the campus (this is 1972, then times were a changin').

Here's a quote from their magazine at the time, "Prospect":

"May I recall, and with some nostalgia, my father's 50th reunion, a body of men, relatively homogenous in interests and backgrounds, who had known and liked each other over the years during which they had contributed much in spirit and substance to the greatness of Princeton," according to an account in "The Chosen," a book by Jerome Karabel on the history of admissions at Harvard, Yale and Princeton.

"I cannot envisage a similar happening in the future," Davis added, "with an undergraduate student population of approximately 40% women and minorities, such as the Administration has proposed."

Haven't czecked the hearing footage but dude sounds , but what do you expect from this muthas in the oval orafice?

$??

• You are mistaken, he's been coached intensively, by none other than the R. senators who are questioning him.

Cosign (surrious)....Look who's sitting right behind him through the hearings. That venal fuck Dan Burton (rotten to the core). Specter and the other Republicans sit there and throw him softball questions and the Fox News gang gets their underwear twisted about how mean the Democrats are. It's a fucking dog and pony show with a largely foregone conclusion.
    Let's all sit back and watch as Alito (a good little Republican soldier) casts the deciding vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.

• this pic disturbed me

• this pic disturbed me

It looks like the cover to a horror novel...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    These hearings are a freaking waste of time these days.

Agreed...it's like everyone just goes through the motions, the Dems act all confrontational for a few days and then when it's over just vote for the dude.

• They should make him field questions in an Internet chat room. We can ask him about how he would set up an expedite in an old house near a non load-bearing wall. If he knows any new and interesting sex positions. Will he eat expired food? If he organizes his records alphabetically or by genre. But most importantly will he over turn the ruling in Flex Vs Spinbad.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    These hearings are a freaking waste of time these days.

Agreed...it's like everyone just goes through the motions, the Dems act all confrontational for a few days and then when it's over just vote for the dude.

I don't think they have the votes to block him, their only power is the filibuster... which I certainly hope they're considering using??

Dude was part of the Reagan administration, and seems to be opposed to giving women and minorities equal rights in general... thats enough for me...

• Dude was part of the Reagan administration, and seems to be opposed to giving women and minorities equal rights in general... thats enough for me...

what has he done or said to make you think that he is opposed to giving them equal rights?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    but i think he respects the concept of the precedence of some decisions.

That's a job requirement--it doesn't exactly go in the plus column.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    About the same way I feel about white people using "y'all" and they aren't from Alabama.

Dude was part of the Reagan administration, and seems to be opposed to giving women and minorities equal rights in general... thats enough for me...

what has he done or said to make you think that he is opposed to giving them equal rights?

If you've been following the story at all you ought to be well aware of this, its been discussed for some time now:

Judge Alito Has Taken Positions That Would Undermine Critical Anti-Discrimination Protections for Women - National Women's Law Center

Judge Samuel Alito: A Troubling Record on Civil Rights - IndependentCourt.org

I don't have time to link the articles myself but they're from the website listed above

About the same way I feel about white people using "y'all" and they aren't from Alabama.

I guess you don't know much about the South- its a lot bigger than Alabama

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    choke on it - queerbaits.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    do you guys think bjork would be into a guy like me?

I'll take queerbait anyday over sabadaboobooboo

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    choke on it - queerbaits.

once again, hightening the discourse...

sabadabadabadaba