Recommend some african music

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Some good highlife, juju, rhumba, afrobeat, or afrofunkMy friend has this one called Citistyle thats really good highlifeI have 3 king sunny ade's from nigeria that are really good too.We all know Fela, Segnor Buknor, Blo, Gerald Pino, and both comps lago's chop up (really good by the way) and T.P. Orchestre Poly-Rhytmo which is face melting... any others?

Comments

• african brothers dance band
    se rogie
    boubacar traore
    peacocks int'l guitar band
    zexie manatsa

and my motherfucking homie K FRIMPONG

• and my motherfucking homie K FRIMPONG

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    african brothers dance band
    se rogie
    boubacar traore
    peacocks int'l guitar band
    zexie manatsa

that song on that other comp west african psych or whatever is CRAZY with that moog bubbling every which a way

• that song on that other comp west african psych or whatever is CRAZY with that moog bubbling every which a way

dude you should hear the motherfucking B SIDE

K FRIMPONG

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

that song on that other comp west african psych or whatever is CRAZY with that moog bubbling every which a way

dude you should hear the motherfucking B SIDE

K FRIMPONG

damn that looks insane. Did you find that on ebay?

• damn that looks insane. Did you find that on ebay?

dude it will fuck you up
    and no i didn't find it on ebay

i actually found it

dude it will fuck you up
    i actually found it Was it alone in the bins or did it come with "friends"

• Dude if that was on ebay it would've cost a month's rent

• HUGE AFRO FAN HERE!

Dont forget FEMI KUTI. Shoki Shoki and Shoki Shoki remixed were both great albums. Africa Shrine is good as well

the Obvious TONY ALLEN. No accomodation for Lagos is a killer LP. At work right now so its not hiting me. Got a bunch of shit that needs to be converted to MP3.

• Check out Daniel Owino Misiani & His Shirati Jazz Band. It's Benga music from Western Kenya and it is HOT TO DEF. Lots of guitars, harmonies, killer melodies, and just really, really happy sounding shit.

• I really like Birigwa, which is a Nigerian folk thing. Aleit, Rape_Donkeys, and Sun_Fortune can all attest to its healing ways.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    birigwa is from uganda if i remember correctly.

a nice album and unusual african music. i have a spare.

i'll post a few pics later on of some albums i really enjoy.

i am always looking for new stuff for the collection and to trade and buy from people with african music. rape_donkeys can attest to this.

• Peter King is pretty mind-blowing, especially that track, "Ajo".

The Ghana Sounds comps (vol 1&2) are essential.

• damn that looks insane. Did you find that on ebay?

dude it will fuck you up

i actually found it

I gotta step up my Afro-beat game. It seems like there is far too little of it to be found though... Do you come up on it a lot in your local shops?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Soundway comps are very solid

Femi Kuti-''Truth don die'' is heat on the dancefloor

• My girlfriends dad is from Nigeria and wanted me to go through his old lps (he was thinking of throwing them away ) said i could take what i want, i have to paper bags full with mixed soul, afro and a whole lot of what i think is crap but still, will be nice listening pleasure, no super-duper raers though..

Will post later which ones where good..

/L

• Chief Stephen Osita OSABEDE has some nice records. His stuff sounds somewhat different from other highlife music I've heard 'cause he uses wah wah guitar and muted trumpet.

I like "Synchro Series" by King Sunny Ade. It has an instrumental funk track.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    My girlfriends dad is from Nigeria and wanted me to go through his old lps (he was thinking of throwing them away ) said i could take what i want, i have to paper bags full with mixed soul, afro and a whole lot of what i think is crap but still, will be nice listening pleasure, no super-duper raers though..

Will post later which ones where good..

/L

My wife is Nigerian and I've been through daddy's crates and have spoken to many relatives. Records were bought in the seventies to entertain and party to. Most of the wax of I have checked out is terribly skated.

By the way: No Nigerian household has a record collection without a fair amount of him:

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

damn that looks insane. Did you find that on ebay?

dude it will fuck you up

i actually found it

I gotta step up my Afro-beat game. It seems like there is far too little of it to be found though... Do you come up on it a lot in your local shops?

It probably depends on where in the world you reside, but I think generally in the US your chances of finding any African-pressed Afrobeat are about nil

That K FRIMPONG is actually the only one I've ever found, at the flea for two bucks...

No love for the LIJADU SISTERS yet? They get a lot of mentions on here... I've only got the Shanachie boot thing...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

No love for the LIJADU SISTERS yet? They get a lot of mentions on here... I've only got the Shanachie boot thing...

Recently found double trouble (2nd lp) for a 1$, reminded me to listen to it.
    gracias

• boubacar traore

yay

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Mahotella Queens
    Ogyatanaa (find it, )