Flex v. Spinbad

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
i didn't hear this on the radio, but apparently Flex dissed Spinbad on hot 97 the other day for being "wack on 2 stations". Here is Spinbad's (dj'd) reply:http://rapidshare.de/files/10925759/DJSpinbadvsFMF.mp3.html

Comments

• i didn't hear this on the radio, but apparently Flex dissed Spinbad on hot 97 the other day for being "wack on 2 stations". Here is Spinbad's (dj'd) reply:

http://rapidshare.de/files/10925759/DJSpinbadvsFMF.mp3.html

Wow, did spinbad step on Flex's lugz?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Man, dude just killed it[/b].

Taking FMF's own words and turning it into:

"Slappin' Funk Master Flex the way he needs to get slapped!"

I mean, there's nothing Flex can do except talk shit after that. His DJ skills go about as far as playing a new record and yelling over it.

"They not hot - all they do is talk alot!"

I wonder where he get the acapella of BDK

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    SPINBAD WILL FUCKING MURDER FLEX

can i just say that i had this conversation with mr paycheck but with a lot harsher words. mostly i was speaking about flex. i heard him spin a couple of times while staying out in ny this xmas. all i can say is that im really quite shocked as to how bad of a dj he really is. if this is one of your top djs then ny is doomed.

heard him try to blend some horribly terrible reggae/dancehall into some rap tunes. horrible scratching skills with even the most basic scratch patterns. juggling was just awful. i really thought he sounded like shit... both times that i heard him.

spinbad however is quite nice on the tts. although i only got to hear him for like 15 or 20 minutes.

anyway... flex sucks.

• Dude...Flex is such a joke. Stick to your dope cars, dude. And Spinbad is one of the most unfucwitable DJs alive.

This was very enjoyable.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Comedy! Flex is a joke. NO SKILLS AT ALL! Spinbad will kill that guy with real DJ skills any day of the week. Chris Sullivan is that dude.

• so this is want it sounds like when you get ripped a new asshole

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I agree with yall about skills, but Funkmaster Flex as a radio dj has more personality than 10 Spinbads. Spinbad doesn't talk on his show. The only reason he talks on that MP3 because Flex keeps saying on air "those guys at the other station are corny, they can't even talk." (Meaning Spinbad and DJ Cut) Spinbad turned it into a "dj battle" because that's what he does, and good for him. That MP3 is entertaining but it's kind of like a graffiti artist battling someone who paints houses. You win. Big whoop.

I'm sure everyone is going to come back and say they don't want to hear a dj talk anyway, but I think most radio listeners do. Personally, I think Funkmaster Flex is good in small doses - always comedy, intentionally or unintentionally. Day and I were talking about it, and he said "maybe they should combine and have Spinbad dj while Flex talks." It's not a bad idea! I would rather hear someone who can dj AND talk. Like Mr Cee.

• Mr. Cee kills shit, and he talks a good game.

I really enjoyed the snippet, dude came with some hard shit... and me and Justin argued about Flex. I kinda disagree about his skills in that *when he wants to* he can execute basic shit.

BUT the bottom line is, I never listen to 105.1 cause the station honks and my ride home is always on Flex if it's on the radio at all. If you're in NYC, and you're trying to hear THE SHIT, you're listening to Flex, end of the discussion.

I don't really expect cats to get that because the radio game is so different elsewhere, the Bay is kinda similar in terms of exclusives but I can't think of a place where the personality factors into it so much.

Ayres, your comments remind me of the Ego Trip cartoon where they talk about herb ass DJs who don't do tapes cause then they'd have to talk on them!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    all they need to do is let spinbad drink on the job and put a mic in front of him

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Ayres, your comments remind me of the On the Go[/b] cartoon where they talk about herb ass DJs who don't do tapes cause then they'd have to talk on them!

• i'm surprised to hear djs say that they'd rather listen to an on-air-personality than to a technically skilled and creative dj. maybe wendy williams needs to come out with a mixtape.

• Ayres, your comments remind me of the On the Go[/b] cartoon where they talk about herb ass DJs who don't do tapes cause then they'd have to talk on them!

• i'm surprised to hear djs say that they'd rather listen to an on-air-personality than to a technically skilled and creative dj.

Time and place man. Time and place.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    another thing to consider is that Funkmaster Flex came on Hot 97 before the idea of an all Hip-Hop radio station existed, and was so popular (#1 radio show in his time slot within months) that the entire station converted to the format HE brought. he was then syndicated, and stations all over the country followed suit, becoming hip-hop stations instead of just "urban" R&B stations or whatever. ironically part of his popularity came from scratching, rocking doubles, and playing "real schitt" like Wu, Mobb Deep, Nas, Nine and all that. 105.1 is a Hot 97 copycat station. Their only innovation was inserting a "throwback joint" in the playlist every 3 or 4 songs (something which Flex was doing 10 years earlier anyway, mixing old school joints in his sets). So arguably there wouldn't be a Spinbad on the radio without what Funkmaster Flex doing what he did. and like Jonny said, Flex is not a terrible dj, he just sounds like what he is, someone who learned how to dj in the early 80s and stopped progressing in the mid 90s. he can cut and rock doubles and does sometimes, he's just lazy.

• mr softee!!!!!!!

hey, what do you all think about flexx v. sinbad. i mean, talk about 2 of the most unfunny comedians. i guess id vote for sinbad cuz he used to kill it on star search, but flexx does have like 30 different sitcoms on upn. of course, neither is funny, but who do you think is more unfunny?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i'm surprised to hear djs say that they'd rather listen to an on-air-personality than to a technically skilled and creative dj. maybe wendy williams needs to come out with a mixtape.
    no one said that they would rather hear an on-air-personality instead of a technically skilled dj. i really think it depends on when/where you're listening to shit. if i had a two hour drive ahead of me, i would most likely listen to some kind of mix show. if i was just driving to the liquor store or some shit, i would listen to whatever the fuck is playing that new shit exclusive shit because that better suits a shorter ride.

a combination of the two would be nice but i think the two sort of conflict with each other to a certain degree. that two person shit ayres mentioned would be good but then the radio station has to pay two people for the same timeslot just be glad that you don't live in hawaii because the radio is abyssmal here.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    that two person shit ayres mentioned would be good but then the record promoters[/b] have to payola[/b] two people for the same timeslot

well that's what they do on Power 105 though. Spinbad mixes records and Cherry Martinez talks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    did flex get into any trouble at all for that shit? i remember hearing about it popping up and then it sort of just disappeared.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I don't think so. It's not in anybody's best interests to pursue that. There is so much money in it, and anyone involved could probably pay off whoever went after them. I don't even know how you would do that. Class action law suit?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think so. It's not in anybody's best interests to pursue that. There is so much money in it, and anyone involved could probably pay off whoever went after them. I don't even know how you would do that. Class action law suit?

This sums it up nicely. Had it not been for Elliot Spitzer making it a point to go after this shit, no one would really care. Payola is problematic on many levels but the general public is likely completely apathetic to it; that's why it took an AG to come in and raise a ruckus. A class action law could work but I don't think enough consumers would care enough. It could also be initiated by all the smaller label artists who got shut out but then they'd face getting blacklisted by the industry. It's a tough sell all around.

• I remember listening to that old funkmaster flex album a lot back in the day. I may have to dust that joint off, I remember that LP as "my mother fucking joint, yo". I also remeber memorizing a lot of old Spinbad and JS-One tapes. Anyone have a copy of the remix/blends tape they did for me, or know a place where they got 'em for sale? [/b]

flex= good radio personality.

spinmad=amazing disc jockey.

I'd rather hear Spinbad any day of the week (Anyone ever catch his mixes on Tiger's radio show, really dope stuff.)

I'd rather hear Spinbad Mr. Choc and C-Minus[/b] any day of the week

• I'd rather hear Spinbad Mr. Choc and C-Minus[/b] any day of the week

I still haven't heard 'em, I'll be in L.A. end of this month hopefully catch 'em ...stil haven't heard the Fantastik 4 show either....

BTW: nice job on putting 3 Vibes on hold when it was only priced for 9.99,

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

I'd rather hear Spinbad Mr. Choc[/b] any day of the week

BTW: nice job on putting 3 Vibes on hold when it was only priced for 9.99,

Yo, pho real:

That plus the edge is warped so the first song on both sides are kind of fucked but it's all about "Up Against the Wall" which plays just fine, thank you very much.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yeah, Flex is a good radio jock with the talkin' and all that--and I do remember when his mix show was actually pretty tight. But in this instance, he called out Spinbad as being wack. Which makes it pretty much some DJing shit, not some ratings shit or "I sound nicer blabbering like an idiot on the mic" shit. And Spinbad, unsurprisingly, tore Flex a new one. Flex picked the battle, and he got crushed (unless he's got far and away the best DJing of his life as a response).

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Yeah, Flex is a good radio jock with the talkin' and all that--and I do remember when his mix show was actually pretty tight. But in this instance, he called out Spinbad as being wack. Which makes it pretty much some DJing shit, not some ratings shit or "I sound nicer blabbering like an idiot on the mic" shit. And Spinbad, unsurprisingly, tore Flex a new one. Flex picked the battle, and he got crushed (unless he's got far and away the best DJing of his life as a response).

I can see how it would seem like that when you hear that little snippet out of context but Flex was not talking about dj skills. He and other Hot 97 jocks have been talking about how Spinbad and Cut are corny because they don't talk for a while.

I won't front on Flex's early '90s singles on Wreck/Nervous.

"Six Million Ways To Die"
    "9MM Goes Bang"

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    maybe afterwards ill let you carry my records

AHHHHHHHHHHHH