Jock Me How I Want To Be (Sushistrut)

randomaccessmikerandomaccessmike 97 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
While on a homestay in Japan, my host family took me out to a ritzy sushi restaurant where I was given what I would call "still living" shimp. The chef pulled the poor bastard out of an aquarium built into the sushi bar, proceeded to rip his shell and legs off (he was still alive), then cut off his head and placed the still twitching body on a bed of rice. I was then instructed to eat it while the nerves where still making the recently deceased carcass move. Can't remember much about the taste of the meat, as you generally are struck by the twitching sensation that goes all the way down your throat and into your stomache. Anyone else have strange sushi stories, or even favorite sushi experiences. I'm looking for the new sushi heat... nigiri, maki, and westernized recipes are all acceptable.

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    no story but here's an interesting tidbit.......

the latest trendy offering at sushi joints is white tuna. There's a mass of confusion over what is considered white tuna. Some say albacore, which is naturally red but turns white when cooked. However the stuff I'm seeing mostly is actually escolar, a bottom feeding fish that was considered bycatch until the mid 90's. As always, the fish industry reinvents fishes by giving them different names in an attempt to market. Most glaring example is Chilean Sea Bass, which is neither Chilean nor seabass. Ok I'm getting sidetracked...

the point I'm getting at is escolar, which has a buttery texture and taste, can induce mud butt. It contains fatty oils that our digestive system has trouble breaking down. It's akin to olestra.....

so yes it tastes awesome, but don't get too greedy with it. Moderate consumption is recommended.

• Is this a "weird food you had at a japanese restaurant" thread?

I've indulged in fugu dinners, had my mouth and fingers tingle, which always makes me nervous, but they've been quite enjoyable and somewhat tasty, although the sashimi is a little bland. I love fried eel backbone, taste like pork rind, what Puerto Rican doesn't like that??! Sea urchin sushi is also really good, melts in your mouth.
    I like the fish head soups, but thats more of a chinese thing?

• no story but here's an interesting tidbit.......

the latest trendy offering at sushi joints is white tuna. There's a mass of confusion over what is considered white tuna. Some say albacore, which is naturally red but turns white when cooked. However the stuff I'm seeing mostly is actually escolar, a bottom feeding fish that was considered bycatch until the mid 90's. As always, the fish industry reinvents fishes by giving them different names in an attempt to market. Most glaring example is Chilean Sea Bass, which is neither Chilean nor seabass. Ok I'm getting sidetracked...

the point I'm getting at is escolar, which has a buttery texture and taste, can induce mud butt. It contains fatty oils that our digestive system has trouble breaking down. It's akin to olestra.....

so yes it tastes awesome, but don't get too greedy with it. Moderate consumption is recommended.

mud butt...hee hee

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ume(sp?) sushi = raw horse meat. somehow I liked it.

Wierd and sushi is kinda expected. Wierd yakitori is

I've had it all, freah raw chicken heart, skinnu (skin, doesn't sound bad until you try it, worst shit EVER), raw liver/gizzard, chicken butt/tail (straight nasty)...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    when i was in korea last year my relatives had live squid... im mean cut off tentacles... they were still clinging to the chopsticks... after overcoming the fear of having a piece crawl back up my throat, i had a couple... shit was good. im down with my peoples cuisine.

raw horse meat? ummm no, maybe a rare steak but horse meat? that is

-rich

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

I've indulged in fugu dinners, had my mouth and fingers tingle, which always makes me nervous, but they've been quite enjoyable and somewhat tasty,

for the longest time i thought that was something The Simpsons?? made up. What is eating it like? food laced with coke? does it sting your lips?

• my hammie atsushi from japan came out to sf to visit so i took him to one of them hippie cuisine nouveau sushi joints that makes like caterpillars and philly cheese rolls and the dude about slapped me for taking him to a place that dishonors sushi in such a manner.

anyways, that real schitt is served on the counter, no plate. most the geoducks and shrimp are still moving and them geoduck feets are all climbing up the glass case. the wasabi is actually a mildly barely spicy root that tastes nothing like that green paste you normally get. i never ate no sushi off a nekkid chick.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    my friend told me some strip joint was offering body sushi but i think they switched owners since

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    ume(sp?) sushi = raw horse meat. somehow I liked it.

Wierd and sushi is kinda expected. Wierd yakitori is

I've had it all, freah raw chicken heart, skinnu (skin, doesn't sound bad until you try it, worst shit EVER), raw liver/gizzard, chicken butt/tail (straight nasty)...

What you ate is called "Basashi", raw horse meat. The word for horse in Japanese is "Uma." "Ume" is the word for a plum as in "Umeboshi."
    Ya'll folls can order some gift packs of "Basashi" here....

http://www.basashi.co.jp/

Yummy!

• I've indulged in fugu dinners, had my mouth and fingers tingle, which always makes me nervous, but they've been quite enjoyable and somewhat tasty,

for the longest time i thought that was something The Simpsons?? made up. What is eating it like? food laced with coke? does it sting your lips?

It was a five or six course meal including fugu soup, sashimi, and a litely grilled dish, I think, it was some time ago so I don't exactly remeber what it consisted of. Fugu is blowfish, which only has a small edible part, the rest of the fish is poisonous, there is no known cure for its poison. It must be prepared by a special chef, liscensed in Japan, who knows how to remove the toxic parts and cook the good parts. Way back when it was a delicacy reserved for dignitaries and royalty, but after killing so many royals it was banned for a while (I might be wrong about this, but I have a hunch). Early signs of poisoning include tingling sensations in feet, fingers and lips. Apparently its an agonizing death.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Family: Man Died After Ducking Flying Shrimp

POSTED: 3:11 pm EST January 12, 2006

MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A shrimp a hibachi chef tossed at a man eating at a Japanese steakhouse ultimately led to the diner's death, his family claims in a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit against the restaurant chain Benihana.

Jerry Colaitis wrenched his neck when he ducked to avoid the shrimp in the chain's Munsey Park restaurant, attorney Andre Ferenzo said in opening statements Wednesday.

Months after the January 2001 incident, the 43-year-old Long Island man died from complications caused by neck surgery he required afterward, the lawyer said.

Benihana lawyer Charles Connick said it was unlikely a chef who works for tips would toss food at customers after being asked not to, as Ferenzo claimed. Even if that happened, Connick added, the cause of Colaitis' death was an infection or neck injury unrelated to the shrimp.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    no story but here's an interesting tidbit.......

mud butt...hee hee

yo, pearl white tuna is the shit!

get it?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    the wasabi is actually a mildly barely spicy root that tastes nothing like that green paste you normally get. i never ate no sushi off a nekkid chick.
    I had fresh wasabi that was crushed in front of me and remember it being VERY spicy (although very different tasting then the green shit).

I've had that Uma or whatever it's called before too. It's tasty.

The nastiest shit I had in Japan, doesn't sound that nasty. But they tossed me some straight raw cow liver. I tried to eat it and almost puked. I had to eat an entire clove of garlic just to get the taste out of my mouth.

That being said, I really like Japanese food outside of Sushi. Okinomiyaki (sp?) is awesome. I've been looking for a place where I live that serves it to no avail.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I had a giant clam once that the chef took out of the aquarium, brought it over in front of me, cut it into four pieces and then handed it to me to eat.
    Shit was good. Don't be scared of it moving around a little on your plate.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    the fish industry reinvents fishes by giving them different names in an attempt to market. Most glaring example is Chilean Sea Bass, which is neither Chilean nor seabass. Ok I'm getting sidetracked...

Part of the reason for the switch was the real name - Patagonian Toothfish - I've never seen a whole bodied fish @ any fishmonger either, likely 'cause given its appearance, it wouldn't garner many 2nd looks from prospective buyers...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've been eating sushi for a long time, but the past couple of times I've had it, it ran right through me. I don't know why all of a sudden sushi is fucking with my stomach when it never did before. Anybody got any theories?

• i love sushi.
    i had fatty tuna(toro?) recently. i dont know if its the same as the white tuna that was mentioned earlier in the post.. but it was
    my tummy was

some of the best sushi i ever had was in la and sf. i wouldnt be able to tell you what spots.. the l.a. one was right down the street from the roxy.

sf was a random right we took and it was a little hole in the wall.

i love to try new things(sushi).. im going to japan in feb.
    i will be in sushi-crack heaven.

there has been a few times my stomach wasnt feeling the sushi i had just eaten.
    i just blamed it on the place i went to.