sympathy for lady vengeance ? (NRR)

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
anybody watched it ? any comment ? recommended ?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Sure.. But have you watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance & Oldboy yet?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Have yet to see it as thought I'd hang on for an official release to avoid suspect Korean subtitling. If they don't announce a release date soon I think I'll have to pick it up anyway.

By all accounts it's less plot driven than Oldboy and heavily stylised. Can't wait.

• Yeah, I've seen the previous 2 in his 'trilogy'. Have yet to see this.
    I've heard that yes it is very stylised, & that it just falls to pieces in the 3rd act.
    Also read that there is a b/w & a colour version. Or something like that.
    The trailer makes it look appealing & I can't see Park making a bad film. Though I think newcomers to his films will just want to see more Old Boy violence.

I think i need a nudge from someone to convince me to fork out for it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    it was ok ??? as part of the trilogy, somewhat disappointing. Parts ran too long. Comedic here and there. Very stylish in a good way, but lost some of that as the film went on. Worth seeing for completist aspect, but not the strongest of the three. The lead is great. I was most bothered by an otherwise kick-ass female character that had motherhood as her weakness/Achilles heel.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    MissBasie, Mr Attic and I checked this out at the TIFF this summer. A bit of a let down IMO, but still better than a lot of shit out there. I just had super high expectations. Wasn't as good as SFMV or OLDBOY, but that's me.

The B&W DVD is already OOP. The first 12,000 copies are sold out. lol. I sold one on ebay for $50 US already.

The HK disc drops the 5.1 audio after 1 hour. The reprint is next week I think

Worth a watch for sure

On an Asian film note, "Sha Po Lang" or "SPL" is beyond shit. lol. All these Donnie Yen fanboys had me convinced this was a can't miss. Ended up being as stupid as Ong Bak with less impressive fighting.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I think newcomers to his films will just want to see more Old Boy violence.

The violence in SFLV is all implied like a Funny Games. Park was trying to make a movie that could play in Western Markets IMO. It must be a result of the fame from OLDBOY. Hell, he didn't even finish the movie before it hit theater's. His backers forced him to use the full color version due to time limits.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts

On an Asian film note, "Sha Po Lang" or "SPL" is beyond shit. lol. All these Donnie Yen fanboys had me convinced this was a can't miss. Ended up being as stupid as Ong Bak with less impressive fighting.

HA.. I enjoy ur reviews MoSS!!