question for dudes who make beats

rcbreaksrcbreaks 28 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
anyone know what's the best type of hard disc recorder to get. I'm just looking for a way to record my beats to something from the eight outs of my mpc and I'm wondering if I should get one that's already got a mixing board on it or one where I need to by a mixing board seperate. I've got about a thousand to spend and I want to know what some good ones are in that price range or below. thanks

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm sure most people will tell you to use a computer, but for me, I find this is alllll I neeeeeeeed to get byyye...eyyye eyyyye...

16 tracks with 8 inputs for simultaneous direct recording + effects, editing etc. Learning it is kind of a bitch, but I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and I'm happy with it. You can upgrade the HD from the 20 GIG (which is in the one I have above) or the 40 GIG that come standard in the new ones.

Here's the newer model they have out now. Not too sure what the differences are between the two.

• how much is that going to run me?

• rocked the D1600 around 2001 for my first unofficial release called 'inspired by burlap'. basically, this was a makeshift project that brought both worlds into play. Analog vs. Digital. Pretty much made this 6 song EP with the D1600, a busted ass PC, and a room full of instruments. my boy patricio pozo from Bolivia was my co'producer by the way. great musician.

But yeah, the D1600 is pretty solid for just straight through recording. It can be a all in one machine and does a good job with uncompressed hard drive recording, but it just takes so long registering all the inputs and especially arranging of your sounds. sold that thing a couple years ago. i bet ebay can get you a good price.

this is the cover from the makeshift project, 'inspired by burlap'. props to nomadink for the design.

• This one looks interesting. 16 channels, CD-R/W recording, built in drum machine and an MPC-style sampler/sequencer thing that should allow you to use your own parts as samples.....might be redundant with the MPC already in play, tho. Zoom quality is sometimes , too....

Of course, if you got a computer and an 8-channel interface you'd have about 10,000% more options and power. The all-in one approach can be real nice for getting ideas down quick.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    IMO get a cheap protools machine. You should (I think) be able to squeeze one out for just under 1k

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if you already have a pc dont get one of these standalone jobs

• I'm sure most people will tell you to use a computer, but for me, I find this is alllll I neeeeeeeed to get byyye...eyyye eyyyye...

16 tracks with 8 inputs for simultaneous direct recording + effects, editing etc. Learning it is kind of a bitch, but I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and I'm happy with it. You can upgrade the HD from the 20 GIG (which is in the one I have above) or the 40 GIG that come standard in the new ones.

Here's the newer model they have out now. Not too sure what the differences are between the two.

I am not a beat maker, but I have the 8 track version of this one. It works really well and has a CD burner built in. It was only $550. It works really well and is easy to use.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    if you already have a pc dont get one of these standalone jobs

IMO get a cheap protools machine. You should (I think) be able to squeeze one out for just under 1k

If you ever, at any point in the future wanna take what you do to a studio to get it mixed, wouldn't you rather be able to just go find the session than having to deal with finding the CD/interfacing the machine/tracking to protools somewhere else/ etc. Pro tools really aint that great if your looking for software to make beats or compose, and I think digidesign is somewhat evil, but if your just looking to record what your making on an mpc, i gotta go with like an mbox 2 or one of the maudio joints, you can upgrade your computer and fx/plugins down the line as opposed to locking yourself in to one machine, i find those standalone things mad frustrating, and to me it seems like a waste of time to deal with learning curve, when you could be spending that time learning software (protools, or logic, nuendo or whatever) that you'll find all over the place. I feel like buying one of those machines when you can get pro software for the same price is a dead end and the definition of

Just my two cents...

• word.

pretty pointless to get anything but Mbox. its like $500 new. IMO