Public Critique (Your Honest Opinions Please)

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Ok. So i hired this guy to do my album art. He has an excellent body of work:30 years since creating this expressive and vivid covers, this is what he submitted for my single:what do you guys think??? ?

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Ok. So i hired this guy to do my album art. He has an excellent body of work:

30 years since creating this expressive and vivid covers, this is what he submitted for my single:

what do you guys think??? ?
    I think it's but he could have spruced it up for 2006. But what the fuck do I know?

• edubedub 715 Posts
    pretty nice - I remember my first time using photoshop....

damn, dude...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    compared to the other covers it's

• that's really terrible.

yikes.

• Not to be hatin', but... (In my humble opinion)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

damn, dude...

honestly, it reminds me of microsoft word clip art

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I'd say, have it done by hand so it keeps the same style as the old stuff...

• I don't like it...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

better yet, hire t*ega to drop that heat.

• edubedub 715 Posts

yeah, I was gonna mention how that Wesley cover has a hand drawn feel to it, and the coloring is pretty tight... yours doesn't even come close in those respects.

seriously, did the guy just get p-shop?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you guys are not hurting my feelings. i hate it. but when i told him it looked generic, he got mad and hung up on me. i want to send him a general concensus of my demographic. please be honest.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    besides the quality, which looks cheap, what's up with the concept?

skull&bones pimped out volkswagen hippie van?!

• it looks like stock images poorly arranged.

• Tell him to take a:

and introduce it to his:

...then tell him you want your money back.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    waek

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

yikes.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I was trying to explain my style as "psychrunk"... and to explain i said, "imagine a pimped out hippie van" oops.

• Yo Tom man, this looks really bootleg. I mean, it doesn't even compare to the previous work in terms of concept, let alone quality. What did you give him in terms of ideas? There's so many questions looking at it. Upside down cut-in-half guy? Women with enormous butts? Is that your music, big booty bitches and pimped out VW vans? I mean... damn dude I don't even want to be ruthless like this. But everything that's being said, you know already... this is not gonna help you sell records...

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Yeah, tell him to pretend it's 197X and start over.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Upside down cut-in-half guy?
    Damn, I just noticed that. Tell that guy you want a refund ASAP.

• this is what he submitted for my single:

• Tell that dude to redo that shit with a pen and pencil. Plus, the compositions for the old LPs are much more imaginative and cohesive. This one he did for you is just reminding me of

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Artists and musicians often catch lightning in a bottle at a certain time and place and then 30 years later can't recapture and/or update their style and it looks stale or simplistic.

I put out an LP with cover art by the guy who did these in the 60's...

And 30 years later got this....

Not terrible, but not either.

But in the long run, having a big name artist do the cover worked to my advantage.

• I think I'm most troubled by that white girl on top of the van having a butt like that...

Oh, and yeah, the artwork is definitely suspect.

I was trying to explain my style as "psychrunk"[/b]... and to explain i said, "imagine a pimped out hippie van" oops.

u may have got what u asked for

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I was going to say I didn't like it but was scared that it may be taken as me hatting. Truth is though you could get better cover art. Soulstrut has a slew of graphic designers that I think would do something for you that would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

I think I'm most troubled by that white girl on top of the van having a butt like that...

but what's up with her yitties?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Delay, part of it is that it's computer-generated, can you ask him to hand-draw something?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If you were paying hourly rate that should only set you back $20. But then what do I know about art? Conceptually obviously