Chico Hamilton new album...WITH ARTHUR LEE!

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Wow. Talk about a postmodern facemelter. I have to admit I didn't even realize the dude was still alive. A couple of the clips at Giant Step are really nice mod jazz, while one is a bit on the lite-jazz feel.LABEL LINKhttp://www.joyousshout.com/GIANT STEP PROMO LINKhttp://www.giantstep.net/artists/374/Chico Hamilton * Juniflip Joyous ShoutCD * Out NowLegendary jazz drummer and bandleader Foreststorn "Chico" Hamilton, had a fast track musical education in a band with his schoolmates Charles Mingus, Illinois Jacquet, Ernie Royal, Dexter Gordon, Buddy Collette and Jack Kelso. Engagements with Lionel Hampton, Slim & Slam, T-Bone Walker, Lester Young, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Charlie Barnett, Billy Eckstine, Sarah Vaughn, Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr., Billie Holiday, Gerry Mulligan and six years with Lena Horne established this young West Coast prodigy as a jazz drummer on the rise, before striking out on his own as a bandleader in 1955.Always hip and ever the consummate modernist, to celebrate his 85th birthday, Chico brings us a swinging affair on Juniflip, with special guest appearances from: legendary Love front-man Arthur Lee, criminally under-rated vocalist (and successful actor) Bill Henderson and former Hamilton band members trombonist George Bohanon and bass trombonist Jimmy Cheatham. Each guest lends his unique and distinct voice to the different journey that is Juniflip. Thru every track Chico invites the listener along on a singular, singing and swinging adventure. Awarded a NEA's Jazz Master Fellowship in 2004, Juniflip is just one more achievement that illustrates why Chico Hamilton is a jazz master and still the man for every generation.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    soulmarc, did you stumble into one of those GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET programs??

• soulmarc, did you stumble into one of those GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET programs??

Heh. Nah, Giant Step sends me WLP 12"s and emails me about new releases all the time and thankfully I don't post about all of them. But if you're really worried you're missing out, I can tell you all about the new remix 12" sponsored by TAG Men's Body Spray they just laced me with.