King Hannibal / The Mighty Hannibal...

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
same dude?

"Get in the Groove" is such a great track...

Comments

• same dude?

Same dude. Finewine is the man when it comes to info on Hannibal.

• "Get in the Groove" is such a great track...

Check out Thomas East & the Fabulous Playboy's version on Toddlin' Town also. Very,very similar.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

certainly is.

I believe they're the same guy.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Liner notes on the Hannibal compilation (Hannibalism)= .

• "The Truth Shall Make You Free"... track about quitting heron and finding jesus. Psychedelic rock funk. Great spoken intro and dubbed out vocals. Still pretty reasonable, perhaps cos it doesn't really have a break. I always buy it if I see if for cheap.

$??

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    "The Truth Shall Make You Free"... track about quitting heron and finding jesus. Psychedelic rock funk. Great spoken intro and dubbed out vocals. Still pretty reasonable, perhaps cos it doesn't really have a break. I always buy it if I see if for cheap.

$??

its a good 45.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Can we get a full discography up in this bitch?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Finewine is the man when it comes to info on Hannibal.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "The Truth Shall Make You Free"... track about quitting heron and finding jesus. Psychedelic rock funk. Great spoken intro and dubbed out vocals. Still pretty reasonable, perhaps cos it doesn't really have a break. I always buy it if I see if for cheap.

I've got both issues, which look almost identical:

SHURFINE 027 KING HANNIBAL The Truth Shall Make You Free (St. John 8.32) / It's What You Do 1972
    AWARE 027 KING HANNIBAL The Truth Shall Make You Free (St. John 8.32) / It's What You Do 1972

The LP is dope too...

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    fuck yeah can't wait to see him live
    at the Reaction! Weekender in just a few weeks.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    fuck yeah can't wait to see him live
    at the Reaction! Weekender in just a few weeks.

woah, that sounds like it's going to be

"Jesus said the truth should make you free,
    lord i bear witness, I was hooked, hooked, hooked, hooked."

I was interested about this so my online research found..

"Indeed, the *extensive* liner notes (by Hannibal himself, speaking Iceberg Slim style) delve into the harsh details of his heroin addiction and recovery, as well as providing colorful anecdotes from his career in show biz about money, women, stealing an elephant from the circus, and contemporaries like Johnny Otis, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, and James Brown. One thing he doesn't discuss is what he's been up to since '73, although he does promise to get back into the studio soon, and he says "it'll be hotter than little sister's pussy with the clap. A chef knows the formula for making good food. I know the formula for making hit records. I'm giving you the Arnold Schwarzenegger here -- a total recall. That's how I am. I don't cut nobody no bullshit."

Now I'm really interested. Who can get a scan of the back so I can have a new desktop image.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

"Indeed, the *extensive* liner notes (by Hannibal himself, speaking Iceberg Slim style) delve into the harsh details of his heroin addiction and recovery, as well as providing colorful anecdotes from his career in show biz about money, women, stealing an elephant from the circus, and contemporaries like Johnny Otis, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, and James Brown. One thing he doesn't discuss is what he's been up to since '73, although he does promise to get back into the studio soon, and he says "it'll be hotter than little sister's pussy with the clap. A chef knows the formula for making good food. I know the formula for making hit records. I'm giving you the Arnold Schwarzenegger here -- a total recall. That's how I am. I don't cut nobody no bullshit."

Now I'm really interested. Who can get a scan of the back so I can have a new desktop image.

Dood that ain' the half of it.

How about a transcript or a scan? If it tops stolen elephants and little sister's STD's, soulstruts gotta see this. Come through Dr. Wu

• "The Truth Shall Make You Free"... track about quitting heron and finding jesus. Psychedelic rock funk. Great spoken intro and dubbed out vocals. Still pretty reasonable, perhaps cos it doesn't really have a break. I always buy it if I see if for cheap.

$??

it's also on his LP on Aware, with some more nice tracks like "got that will", "wake up" or "hymn No. 5"

• he's got a nice one on Josie...

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Good discography here:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/wdd/mightyhannibal.htm

In addition to Hannibal's Venture single, Larry Williams does a GREAT version of Hannibal's "Wake Up", also on Venture.

And in addition to the Aware LP, there was an 1998 CD put out by Shurfine

An acquaintance of mine wrote up a little bio on Hannibal a few years ago, which is still up here: http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/~libmlm/hannibal.html

• he's got a nice one on Josie...

that shame, shame 45 is nice...I didnt know he put out hymn 5/fishin pole on Joise also...I only ever see the shurfine one

Yep, the guy who ran Shurfine licensed a number of songs to Josie. The "Shame, Shame" one is particularly interesting since it didn't come out on Shurfine at all.

Shurfine via Josie

Josie 960 Eddie Billups - My Girl / No Love Have I
    Josie 961 Grover Mitchell & the Cardinals - Take Your Time and Love Me / Sweeter As the Days Go By
    Josie 964 Mighty Hannibal - Hymn No. 5 / Fishin' Pole
    Josie 965 Roy Lee Johnson ??? Boogaloo No. 3 / So Anna Just Love Me
    Josie 966 Dee & Lola ??? Love, Love, Love / Starting Line
    Josie 967 The Ravenettes - Talk About Soul / Since You've Been Gone
    Josie 968 Grover Mitchell - I Don't Want To Hear It Baby / The Girl Is A Lady
    Josie 969 Shurfine Singers ??? Go Tell It On the Mountain / Silent Night & the 11 O???Clock News
    Josie 970 Tee Fletcher ??? Thank You Baby / Walk On Out
    Josie 971 Eddie Billups ??? Feel It / I Won???t Be Around
    Josie 976 Grover Mitchell - I'm Still In Love With You / part 2
    Josie 977 Mighty Hannibal - Shame, Shame / Trying To Make It Through

I'll have to double check, but I think the Decca single may be Shurfine related as well.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

How about a transcript or a scan? If it tops stolen elephants and little sister's STD's, soulstruts gotta see this. Come through Dr. Wu

No scanning technology available at Wu World Headquarters and my stenographer/typist is out with the mumps.

I'll see what I can do in the meantime.

• No scanning technology available at Wu World Headquarters and my stenographer/typist is out with the mumps.

Do the liners shed any light on his connection to Lee Moses and Herman Hitson? It always bugged me out that he covered "I Got That Will" and that both of those dudes played on Truth.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    No scanning technology available at Wu World Headquarters and my stenographer/typist is out with the mumps.

Do the liners shed any light on his connection to Lee Moses and Herman Hitson? It always bugged me out that he covered "I Got That Will" and that both of those dudes played on Truth.

Some quick info. Liner notes are inside the sleeve, cover both back and front. Second, haven't read them in a minute so I need to get me Hanniballer game up. I'll be back with highlights later if someone doesn't come through for us by this evening.

Not that I recall, they don't. But they're all from Atlanta, so it's not really that surprising. Freddie Terrell and Herman Hitson are still tight, and of these four, Hannibal is actually kinda the odd man out as I don't think he played guitar, where the other three do. Not that it means anything, but it is what it is.

I recently met a local musician who played in touring bands behind singers through the mid to late 70s. He tells an amazing story about being 11 or 12 years old and walking to the store with his uncle. When they were walking back, they heard music, which they followed the sound to a parking lot where Hannibal was performing in his then trademark green suit and turban (Yo, Larry!). He still remembers that Hannibal was singing "Please, Please, Please", and he was mesmerized. It was that moment when he knew he wanted to be a musician and perform on stage. For all of the people you hear as influences during the 60s, from The Five Royales, to Johnnie Taylor, to James Brown, this is the first time I'd ever heard someone credit Hannibal with his decision to go into professional music!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    IMO Hannibal is perhaps the best soul singer out there. I am always astounded at how great his singles are and that only nerds know about him. Like James Brown his steez worked in many different eras.