Yusef Lateef query

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Hello,I know this is usually poo-poo???ed on the Board ??? but I???ll ask anyway.I am looking for Yusef Lateef???s Detroit LP and I have heard from a charming fellow SoulStutter who is not sure if his is the original or not (I don???t like the tinny sound on the re-issue). Can anyone help with any sure-fire ways to tell if what he has is the original?All info is greatly appreciated.Thank You.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hello,
    I know this is usually poo-poo???ed on the Board ??? but I???ll ask anyway.

I am looking for Yusef Lateef???s Detroit LP and I have heard from a charming fellow SoulStutter who is not sure if his is the original or not (I don???t like the tinny sound on the re-issue).

Can anyone help with any sure-fire ways to tell if what he has is the original?

All info is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

I believe that it was issued in 1969, so the OG sleeve should have that heavy laminate that Atlantic was using at that time, and I think the center label would be the blue and green design.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Hello,

I am looking for Yusef Lateef???s Detroit LP and I have heard from a charming fellow SoulStutter who is not sure if his is the original or not (I don???t like the tinny sound on the re-issue).

Thank You.

I have not seen the reissue, and I don't have the original here.

It is on Atlantic from 1969:
    1) cardboard cover with paste on graphics
    2) green and orange label (Some reissues use earlier labels.)
    3) 1841 Broadway address on bottom of label. Any mention of Warner Bros or the two and one half turds Warner logo is later. Any mention of WEA is of course later.

I hope this helps until someone can compare the 2.

Dan

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Hello,

Thank You.

I believe that it was issued in 1969, so the OG sleeve should have that heavy laminate that Atlantic was using at that time, and I think the center label would be the blue and green design.

I've got OG's of that period that have lamination & some that don't. '69 atlantics right on the cusp of blue/green red/green labels. Could be either.

Current reissues, I'm assuming would look like my headless heroes (shame on me) glossy card stock with bling bling white insides.

Also, there might be a late 70's press that would say "wea" instead of having a NYC address...

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts

Mine has the heavy laminate, but the center label has a red and green design. Not sure if it is OG OG, but the inner sleeve (not that it counts, really) advertises a bunch of jawns from around that time.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    How amazing are you guys? Very amazing! Thanks so much for all the info.

Here's hoping it's the original...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    3) 1841 Broadway address on bottom of label.

Using Les McCann as an example

Any mention of Warner Bros or the two and one half turds Warner logo is later. Any mention of WEA is of course later.

Basically, any album released in the U.S. between 1969 and 1974 will have the first variation, and that would be considered an original (most jazz albums weren't massively pressed in the same manner as Led Zeppelin, so it's safe to say that it would be a first pressing).

By 1974, Atlantic would officially become a part of WEA, and the Warner logo was placed on the bottom to suggest this.

A number of Atlantic albums from 1969-1974 were later reissued during the late 1970's. If the record comes in a brown-ish generic sleeve which says "The Atlantic Group", and the label has the W logo, you have a reissue. Just because it has an old insert with other records from the time isn't an indication, so label ID is important.

On a slightly related note, I like this Atlantic variation from Japan

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Great album. Purdie and Brooks kill it on there, something heavy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    3) 1841 Broadway address on bottom of label.

Using Les McCann as an example

Any mention of Warner Bros or the two and one half turds Warner logo is later. Any mention of WEA is of course later.

Basically, any album released in the U.S. between 1969 and 1974 will have the first variation, and that would be considered an original (most jazz albums weren't massively pressed in the same manner as Led Zeppelin, so it's safe to say that it would be a first pressing).

By 1974, Atlantic would officially become a part of WEA, and the Warner logo was placed on the bottom to suggest this.

A number of Atlantic albums from 1969-1974 were later reissued during the late 1970's. If the record comes in a brown-ish generic sleeve which says "The Atlantic Group", and the label has the W logo, you have a reissue. Just because it has an old insert with other records from the time isn't an indication, so label ID is important.

On a slightly related note, I like this Atlantic variation from Japan

I can't tell red from orange I guess.

I can't tell red from orange I guess.

I've seen the colors described as either or.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    you guys are geeks!

you guys are geeks!

• I've got an original of this record...st-a-691560 should be marked in the deadwax.

Holla at me if you got some modern soul/80's funk for trade.