DIY cd cover/sleeve/insert tips.

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone have any good links to DIY cd covers/sleeves/inserts tips? Basically any decent links to any alternative methods off printing/stamping/stickering cd's are wanted. Plaese to holler at it.

Comments

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I've got some thoughts on this, since I'm doing the homegrown DIY thing myself.

You can buy blank cardboard CD sleeves in bulk -- white/black usually -- from Discmakers. There may be other sources as well. Then find a printer that can run custom stickers for you in a unique shape using artwork you provide them. Get the CD's replicated using artwork and mastered tracks supplied by you -- then insert said CDs in sleeves, put sticker on sleeve, and you're done. This is a dirt cheap way of packaging your CD without it looking cheesy.

Of course no bar code or anyhting like that. And i think the CD jewel case is a waste -- a packaging concept from a bygone era. Besides most people don't bother with the sleeve or the liner notes anymore. The CD gets put in the CD carrying case and your sleeve will just be lying around. So, with my limited budget I'd rather spend most of my money on good mastering and unique artwork, so that your investment and hard work stays right where it should be -- on the CD.

Now for the diehard collector types who want all of your stuff, you can have extra artwork, liner notes etc. downloadable on your website -- let them get it themselves, maybe have them join your mailing list to get access to the goods.

K.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    o nthe money kaushik

i bought a shitload of brown chipboard years ago that has served me well for any DIY sleeves

i print right on em from the printer and then cut / fold / paste em up.

nice and thick.. shit is printed right on there.. get a circle punch fro ma craft stroe and punch out a half circle notch o nthe back top for easy disc access... and use the same punch to punch out the center of an avery label yu've printed yer info on so it goes around the hole i nthe disc (you can buy disc shaped ones but im still recycling a huge stack of square ones)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. Much appreciated!!!

• I like these 'trigger' style cd cases.

• All this looks like good suggestions...

Add this:

At any standard buisness stamphouse you can get the nice vinyl inks... usually a decent sized stamper (with your design supplied as a tiff or jpeg) plus a stamper book and some vinyl ink costs about $30 all togther. With vinyl inks you can stamp on both the CDs and those nice poly eurathane jackets that you can get at the lab and places like that.

Nothing looks as good a chipbaord jacket with nice stamping.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    All this looks like good suggestions...

Add this:

At any standard buisness stamphouse you can get the nice vinyl inks... usually a decent sized stamper (with your design supplied as a tiff or jpeg) plus a stamper book and some vinyl ink costs about $30 all togther. With vinyl inks you can stamp on both the CDs and those nice poly eurathane jackets that you can get at the lab and places like that.

Will the vinly ink stick permanently to the CD?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I was going to post something like this too. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    All this looks like good suggestions...

Add this:

Will the vinly ink stick permanently to the CD?

x2

• vinyl ink is the shit... it will stick to a layer of vaseline.
    use it.
    longtime blowjobs to be collected later.
    thank you and goodnight.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    You can make your own custom CD covers like these limited-edition ones I made for my crew of ladyfriends. I made one - rather, HAD one made each for all 10 women of the Bitch Mafia:

I bought the material, drew a quick sketch and had my friend's wife come through with her sewing skills. The CD is a raunchy ass mix I made of all female rappers and singers, with the exception of my 24-bar intro rap over the "Play" beat namechecking all 10 ladies.

I'm forever a good dude.

Herm

• actually Ill take one of those instead!
    haha
    dirrrrty.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I can't believe how timely this post is!

I just got home from recording 2 mixes at my mate's house and wanting to find a way of using some sort of template on-line to create some cover art. I nwas thinking jewel case slips, but the paper sleeve thing is awesome.

One question for those morte experienced in making the things on http://www.papercdcase.com - is there a way of putting pictures and stuff onto those templates when you get them as pdf files? I wanna scan some images of records or something onto them and print them out that way.

• my 24-bar intro rap over the "Play" beat namechecking all 10 ladies.

http://www.yousendit.com

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    my 24-bar intro rap over the "Play" beat namechecking all 10 ladies.

I don't know, it wouldn't really make sense to any of you. All the references, although witty as hell, would be lost on anyone who doesn't know these women like I do.

Herm

• joeblowjoeblow 118 Posts
    i just did one before the holidays. i stocked up on a box of those chipboard cd cases a while ago. i'm a fan of the classic stencil method (not for small text of course - i used a printed insert for that). TIP: i found the "satin" spray paint to look/sit best on cd faces. gloss and flat didn't quite stick well. just cut, and spray away. an afternoon on the porch with a few Pacifico does the trick. like so...

• where (preferably on the web) are you guys getting these chipboard and vinyl inks? i'd like to do some tour cd's this way... Places in Hawaii don't seem to readily sell those chipboard sleeves.

• my 24-bar intro rap over the "Play" beat namechecking all 10 ladies.

I don't know, it wouldn't really make sense to any of you. All the references, although witty as hell, would be lost on anyone who doesn't know these women like I do.

Herm

• Yes, you can try one of programs for design labels and covers. I use this - CD DVD Label Maker