Is this a good computer for music recording etc..

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Sup folks, my homie is selling this...
WHO NEEDS A MAC G3????MAC G3 Power PC with boosted HD for sale - $300 I've got a G3 Mac Power PC for sale. good working condition, here's the details: Hard drive 40 GB (36.7 GB currently available) cache 8160 K built in memory 384 MB OS 9 operating system zip/floppy/ CD compatible *a music production program is already on there, for you music heads... *Price includes BIG 20" monitor, keyboard, mouse, and all necessary connectionsHIT ME BACK IF INTERESTED.....**************************************************************************

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Sup folks, my homie is selling this...

WHO NEEDS A MAC G3????

MAC G3 Power PC with boosted HD for sale - $300

I've got a G3 Mac Power PC for sale. good working condition, here's the details:

Hard drive 40 GB (36.7 GB currently available)
    cache 8160 K
    built in memory 384 MB
    OS 9 operating system
    zip/floppy/ CD compatible

*a music production program is already on there, for you music heads...

*Price includes BIG 20" monitor, keyboard, mouse, and all necessary connections

HIT ME BACK IF INTERESTED.....

Are you personally interested in purchasing this, or are you simply relaying the info? I'd say that this could be Ok for some production (I did many of my early tracks using a very similar set up), but you might want to add much more RAM to it...say around a GB or so. What is the processor speed?

...I also would not recommend using any other OS except the already installed OS9. OSX is not likely to perform well with this setup, which probably limits you in terms of keeping up with the latest music programs.

SG

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    naw my homie is selling and I'm interested. How much would a gig of ram cost me and would the OSX system be simply "too much" for this type? of set up?

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    It's not a bad starter set up but you'd find it frustrating not being compatible with the latest software & although osx would be possible it may cough & splutter a little going round corners. If it's your only option then go for it & work within your means but with prices coming down all the time your best bet is to save more cash & get a newbie...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If you are going to be purchasing it, I would recommend against it. Not only is it kinda expensive for being rather outdated (although I guess the monitor and everything counts for something) but you really won't be able to do much with it. You will outgrow it rather quickly.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    better alternative is to use your exsisting monitor/keyboard and get a mac mini. Adding more memory and a firewire drive would be a good move/look.

www.everymac.com to find out the specs of the g3 your friend is selling. He didn't mention what ghz it is....Plus upgrading older ram tends to be more expensive.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    Can anyone suggest a proven mini mac/pro tools configuration that is compatible? It seems like the cheapest "new" solution, but i'm unsure about OS, compatible versions of pro tools, etc.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    there is no line-in on a Mac mini!
    you would have to buy some firewire or usb audio card/breakout box which tacks more
    onto the price of your total setup.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If you're doing serious audio you will need that any way.

Line in isn't good for much more than converting records to MP3.

YOUNG PHONIKS:

What is it that you want to do with the set-up? Just sample, and make beats? Record outside sources (ie vocals, samplers, keys, etc)? Multitrack or just make CDs?

There's a lot of options out there, but it depends what you want. I wouldn't personally buy the G3. It never was VERY good (compared to G4) and there's no growth potential.

I'm willing to part ways with my long time companion G4 400 for roughly the same price but better specs.

holla private ebay steezo.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm in the market for a cheap/older Mac laptop. What's good with this? G4, just some bare bones shit to run Serato and maybe 2 or 3 more apps, nathan else.

Good idea? Bad idea? What can I expect to pay? Under a G?

I'm in the market for a cheap/older Mac laptop. What's good with this? G4, just some bare bones shit to run Serato and maybe 2 or 3 more apps, nathan else.

Good idea? Bad idea? What can I expect to pay? Under a G?

I seen Serato run on a G3 500 ibook, which you can get for around $400 - 450 right about now. I would just max out the ram first, just in case. Also, make sure you buy a laptop cooler that has can use a power adapter and is not USB bus powered (can cause dropouts otherwise). iBooks tend to run hot and that all slows down the processing.

I got the 12" iBook with 768mb ram (512 extra for $75) for under a G. Serato runs FLAWLESSLY on it.

• dj_processdj_process 11 Posts
    I'd say the G3 is just a little too old. If you spent like a little more you could get a G4, which would be faster and more convenient for software. As a matter of fact, I got a G4 desktop, that I'm selling that I know works could with ProTools. Holler if your interested.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have a dual G5 desktop that I use, and a G3 iBook that I have but don't want to use for Serato, because I just feel like it's too old and won't be the move.

I have a dual G5 desktop that I use, and a G3 iBook that I have but don't want to use for Serato, because I just feel like it's too old and won't be the move.

Some of the guys in the Serato tech support department run their tests on G3 iBooks, but you know, faster is better in this instance. Serato is light as hell, around a 1.5 mb app. I never had a real issue that wasn't user error yet.

If you're looking at under a G and wanna stay Mac, the only way to go is the 12" iBook.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    c- I recommend you give your g3 a shot just to see how it runs. Best move is to backup all your info to your dual g5, then completely wipe out your g3. Zero out your drive and install a clean copy of Tiger (I got you on that). Then don't load the comp w/ any extra apps or mp3's, instead use an external firewire drive for that. Holler at someone who has serato and test it out on your ibook. See if that works well.....

yes.....mac mini is still a good move imo even w/o a line in. You would eventually have to buy an external sound card anyway. Stock line in has a kinda harsh sound to my ears.....

Zero out your drive and install a clean copy of Tiger (I got you on that)[/b].

You don't know me, but can you get me on that too? haha

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'm getting a dvd burner today to replace my sorely outdated drive in my qs.......So yes that can be done.

YOUNG PHONIKS:

What is it that you want to do with the set-up? Just sample, and make beats? Record outside sources (ie vocals, samplers, keys, etc)? Multitrack or just make CDs?

There's a lot of options out there, but it depends what you want. I wouldn't personally buy the G3. It never was VERY good (compared to G4) and there's no growth potential.

I would use it for multi-tracking and recording and maybe some production to use with the equiprment I already have (MPC & a EPS)