buying dj equipment off ebay

johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
i've been looking at some relatively affordable dj packages on ebay - in the $200 to $500 range - and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. there are a few "dj in a box" or "battle pack" options by numark, for example, or i could put something together piece by piece, but i figure the latter would prolly hike up the shipping charges. i'm not looking to blow the spot with what i get, just wanted to work a few bar and house party gigs around a college town. any ideas?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Don't fool yourself. If you're going to buy turntables, save the extra money up and get Technics 1200 or 1210. Anything else is throwing your money down the toilet. Those DJ in a box setups are for the birds. Trust me.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Don't fool yourself. If you're going to buy turntables, save the extra money up and get Technics 1200 or 1210. Anything else is throwing your money down the toilet. Those DJ in a box setups are for the birds. Trust me.

What he said. Technics can be picked up cheap if you search and don't mind broken lids and a bit of grime to clean off em.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yeah I would find a shop that sells used/refurbished Technics and buy those. You could probably get a pair for about $500-$600. If that takes up a lot of your DJ budget, you can save money on a beginner mixer for a couple hundred dollars.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    cosign on cos and spliff....hold out, save the money and get the tecs....you'll be glad u did.

• ok. admittedly, i'm a novice when it comes to some of this stuff, so much thanks for the quick and consistent responses.

• I would definitely peep craigslist for a couple weeks, you'll probably end up finding a pair of 1200's for $500 or less. Just test them out for a minute before you pay out your money.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I would definitely peep craigslist for a couple weeks, you'll probably end up finding a pair of 1200's for $500 or less. Just test them out for a minute before you pay out your money.

Guitar Center sometimes has great deal's on 1200's. I've seen brand new ones going for $450 there. That was years ago though but the price for 1200's has been pretty consistent for the last 5 or so years. I bought a used one for $300 and except for a bum cue light it's been pretty cool to me. You gotta jump on Craiglist deals. Anyone selling for less than $400 won't have them for long.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    co-sign on craigslist... there are folks willing to sell turntables for cheap.. seems like dudes jumped on the dj bandwagon and are now realizing they f*cked up. but yeah theres tons of dj equipment for cheap on craigslist.

btw, does anybody know how to tell if stylii are new? i want to buy new needles but am a bit skeptical when those ads say 'new but out of box'

-rich

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't fuck with used needles unless they were super cheap or you at least demoed them to make sure they sound fine.

As far as buying used turntables, it's definitely the move for 1200's. Bring along a friend who is familiar with that shit so they can test them and even if something is busted, repairs are significanly cheaper than new turntables.