vibes VS marimba

generiquegenerique 625 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
The other day I had a fellow record collector come over to my place to play some raer records and somehow we got into this heated discussion on the vibraphone. I like that instrument a lot, be it in jazz or in orchestral/OST stuff. I was seriously sonned and I felt un-hip afterwards. Marimbas was where it's at. Did I miss the boat? I think I can distinguish between a marimba and vibes. I like the dry, round marimba sound (Jazz for the Jet Set has marimbas, right?) but you know, I can just seriously space out on vibes. The way they resonate and how tones merge into weird harmonies. Bobby Hutcherson - oblique and his New Port record are killing it. But also the spooky qualities I dig. Hell, I even space out on lounge jazz vibes. Now I am not of the kind that needs his taste comfirmed all the time but on the whole I begin to think my taste is a tad decadent. This dude I had the conversation with is a way greater collectro than me so you know, it kind of sucks to be sonned by such a guy.FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1136218084generique">

marimba vs vibes[/b]vibes are for squaresmarimba is for real headzI don't give a f**kINPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

Comments

• The other day I had a fellow record collector come over to my place to play some raer records and somehow we got into this heated discussion on the vibraphone. I like that instrument a lot, be it in jazz or in orchestral/OST stuff. I was seriously sonned and I felt un-hip afterwards. Marimbas was where it's at. Did I miss the boat? I think I can distinguish between a marimba and vibes. I like the dry, round marimba sound (Jazz for the Jet Set has marimbas, right?) but you know, I can just seriously space out on vibes. The way they resonate and how tones merge into weird harmonies. Bobby Hutcherson - oblique and his New Port record are killing it. But also the spooky qualities I dig. Hell, I even space out on lounge jazz vibes. Now I am not of the kind that needs his taste comfirmed all the time but on the whole I begin to think my taste is a tad decadent. This dude I had the conversation with is a way greater collectro than me so you know, it kind of sucks to be sonned by such a guy.

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1136218084generique">

marimba vs vibes[/b]
    vibes are for squares
    marimba is for real headz
    I don't give a f**k
    Vibes rule the universe[/b]

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

I vote #4

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm a vibes man, for the exact same qualities you mentioned: The resonating bell-like sound. Metal over wood. A marimba is cool, but somehow more dry and plump sounding. Bobby Hutcherson plays both.

• Okay guys, this is going well. I remade the poll according to the suggestions above since the original poll didn't give you the option to express apprecialtion for the instrument in question. So this is the official poll:

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1136218643generique">

marimba vs vibes[/b]
    vibes are for squares
    marimba is for real headz
    vibes rule the universe
    I don't give a f**k
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• i vote the vibes and stuff for two reasons:

1: roy ayers
    2: my mom's cousin, while not busy working as a geology professor in sweden ,
    is also an expert vibesman.

• Those are sound reasons. Nepotism in music is okay in my book. Can we hear something by this dude? Anything online?

I bought my son, who is 1,5 years old, a kiddie vibraphone and he likes it alright but I thought: this thing sounds odd. A weird scale. So I read the package and it turns out to be made by some anthroposophist company.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That sounds sweet. What model is it? We got my nearly 3 year old son a little trap kit for Christmas. I've been playing it a lot with him jamming on the Fisher Price xylophone/keyboard and vice-versa.

preschoolfreejazzraer

• girgir 329 Posts

preschoolfreejazzraer

mp3 plz

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    why to choose ?
    i can live with both

• i vote the vibes and stuff for two reasons:

1: roy ayers

i got "a special 3 track collectors item" by accident: roy ayers - in the dark / goree island / love is in the feel. wanna have it?