Anybody Installed Apple's Tiger OS Yet?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I can't imagine it's not worth upgrading to, but am curious about people's experiences with it.Everything I've seen on it looks fresh and innovative...one company that's always got their thinking caps on.http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I've got it but haven't installed it yet. The few guys that did here at work complained that thier Cisco VPN client stopped working after the upgrade and haven't been able to get it working yet. I need to be able to VPN still so I'm holding off...

-billb

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I've installed it on close to 30 comps already. Everything seems good so far, especially Spotlight. I would recommend an archive & install if you have space. Or if it's been a while since you've upgraded your os.

As usual when installing, remove any external devices like hard drives, etc.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've heard it's giving Digital Performer 4.5 and Serato Scratch Live the shits, so I'm gonna hold off until I hear a word back from them before installing.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    and so far it's fairly smooth. It does seem a little more sluggish than my former 10.3.8. Spotlight and Dashboard are cool features, but overall performance will no doubt improve in a future 10.4.1 update.

• HankScorpioHankScorpio 163 Posts
    I just installed it over the weekend. I've only had my Mac for a few months, so I didn't even know all the previous OS all that well. I was using Mac's back in high school and college, it's nice to be using one again.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My girl works for Apple so I installed Tiger on Friday night...and so far...it's been ok but a little buggy here and there. My MS Word is now randomly crashing (not a good look) but I like Dashboard and Spotlight is cool too. All said, Tiger isn't a really huge leap forward, with the exeption of Spotlight. (Dashboard is nice but Konfabulator does the exact same thing with 10x the number of widgets).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Has anyone used the automator yet? That was one piece I thought was pretty revolutionary about the update. I wonder how user-friendly it is.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Had no problems installing here, just make sure to back up everything, repair your disk, and repair your permissions before and after you do the installation. I recommend the Archive and Install option also.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i haven't installed yet but hopefully this week or so.

MS Word, not a good look

MS Word, not a good look

My MS Word crashes for some reason whenever I highlight text and try to drag it from one place to another on 10.3.9. But crashing randomly?

MS Word, not a good look

My MS Word crashes for some reason whenever I highlight text and try to drag it from one place to another on 10.3.9. But crashing randomly?

hi

MS Word, not a good look

hi

Thanks for the link, Cash. Right now it's not that serious...I just copy and paste instead of dragging text. But it's good to have something like this on the back burner.

• There are a couple buggy things powerbook related. My cpu was going nuts when I first installed it. The stickies widget and virex software can put much strain on your resources. My fan now comes on more often than in 10.3 overall. Also, there can be issues of waking from sleep if you have external media connected to it.

Did you get the final? That version wasn't the final and had some issues, so that might be your deal. The build numbers are different. There's was a whole shipment of incorrect builds sent to Europe 8 days early that were (according to Apple) not the final build.

Anyone have a working [email]cr@ck[/email] for QuickTime 7 Pro, by the way?

serial box 05.2005

serial box 05.2005

Cash is on point!!![/b]

• Is 8A428 the gold master? That's what I got..

Is 8A428 the gold master? That's what I got..

That's it. The one that a lot of people had was 8A425.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Just found a pretty big hiccup, after doing my install I could not open images in Photoshop CS by clicking on them or by dragging them onto the icon in the dock. Was pretty stumped, so as a last resort I re-installed PS from the original disk and now it's working fine. Don't know if previous versions are having the smae problem, but thought I would give a heads up to the CS users out there.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Just found a pretty big hiccup, after doing my install I could not open images in Photoshop CS by clicking on them or by dragging them onto the icon in the dock. Was pretty stumped, so as a last resort I re-installed PS from the original disk and now it's working fine. Don't know if previous versions are having the smae problem, but thought I would give a heads up to the CS users out there.

I think this is a known issue on Archive & Installs. PS launches, but the double-clicked/dropped file fails to open. The Archive & Install process kills the file "Library>Scripting Additions>Adobe Unit Types" which is necessary for those processes. If you can locate a copy in your Previous Systems folder after the install and place it back in the old locality, the functionality return.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    I have not updated mainly because Tiger and Pro-Tools 6.9 LE are not compatible with each other yet. Soon though.

• Just found a pretty big hiccup, after doing my install I could not open images in Photoshop CS by clicking on them or by dragging them onto the icon in the dock. Was pretty stumped, so as a last resort I re-installed PS from the original disk and now it's working fine. Don't know if previous versions are having the smae problem, but thought I would give a heads up to the CS users out there.

I think this is a known issue on Archive & Installs. PS launches, but the double-clicked/dropped file fails to open. The Archive & Install process kills the file "Library>Scripting Additions>Adobe Unit Types" which is necessary for those processes. If you can locate a copy in your Previous Systems folder after the install and place it back in the old locality, the functionality return.

i have this problem with cs and im using panther still.