marvin gaye re-edits/mash-ups are killing it

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
There was the previously unreleased "I Hear Music" that came out about a year ago. Now the stepper's version of "Let's Get It On" and the mash-up of "Sexual Healing/Waiting in Vain." Really top notch. It's great to hear these timeless vocals over not-so-familiar music.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There was the previously unreleased "I Hear Music" that came out about a year ago. Now the stepper's version of "Let's Get It On" and the mash-up of "Sexual Healing/Waiting in Vain." Really top notch. It's great to hear these timeless vocals over not-so-familiar music.

No Ming.

Even though I thought the Motown Remixed version of "Let's Get It On" was passable, for the most part, some artists don't need to be updated, reinterprated, remixed or anything. I guess it depends on how much you like mash-ups but seriously, tinkering can't improve on genius.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

No Ming.

Even though I thought the Motown Remixed version of "Let's Get It On" was passable, for the most part, some artists don't need to be updated, reinterprated, remixed or anything. I guess it depends on how much you like mash-ups but seriously, tinkering can't improve on genius.

so this means it cant be fun to listen to anyway? or interesting? i dont think anybody doing a remix or a mash-up is necessarily always trying to "improve" the music.

then again, that pet sounds remix album sounded like the most god-awful idea of all time. maybe i dont disagree after all.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Some blends work, some don't.

• Edwin Starr - War (King Britt Remix)

this remix is solid!

• and the mash-up of "Sexual Healing/Waiting in Vain." Really top notch.

link?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ako,

I think I'm mostly quibbling with this statement:

It's great to hear these timeless vocals over not-so-familiar music.

No Ming.

so this means it cant be fun to listen to anyway? or interesting? i dont think anybody doing a remix or a mash-up is necessarily always trying to "improve" the music.

then again, that pet sounds remix album sounded like the most god-awful idea of all time. maybe i dont disagree after all.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Steppers Version is MY SHIT... I don't know naan about mashups though

Some of the other reedit 12s are dope, but I'm talking reworked OGs, not 'different music'

• and the mash-up of "Sexual Healing/Waiting in Vain." Really top notch.

link?

imo.. so clever....one of the best examples of a mash up. who ever did this had to fuck with shit to correct the key.
    great idea, sounds perfect. As far as this being "not so familiar music" who the FUCK never heard BOB MARLEY waiting in vain ? Its all very familiar...and the steppers version jax the drums right from zhane

the other mash ups are boring to me..theres about 3 mash ups i like
    1. nas vs ozzy ( captures the same vibe)
    2. healing in vein( above)
    3.killers vs gwen stefani ( dj riz murdered that shit..ive had this since may)

• dayday 9,611 Posts

beautiful.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

This one indeed is ill. Mash-ups overall (i think we covered that a few months back) but there's quite a few re-edits I'm feelin... That Danny Krivit re-edit of "Rock Steady" by Aretha kills me everytime---------> dope!

• watch out for the waajeed & jazz cats vs. marvin shit. so far, ee sound-y very good!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Try this one:
    The Stone Roses: Fool's Gold vs. Air: La Femme D'Argent vs. Marvin Gaye: Sexual Healing

here

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I'm going to try to rip it from wax into ProTools tonite. And then I'll post some RM -- unless someone already has this in a digital format... The "Waiting in Vain/Sexual Healing" mash-up, that is...

And to address a previous post: yes, "Waiting in Vain" is super-familiar, I know. I guess what I was trying to get at was that I've heard both of these songs so many times that they have both become interesting again when mashed together.

For many of our favorite songs, we know every vocal inflection, every grunt, and every other vocal nuance. But when you take the vocal track away from its original music, it helps different moments stand out in different ways. For me, it allows the genius of Marvin Gaye to shine from a different perspective.

Sadly, we're not going to get to hear anymore new songs from this artist, so I have to be thankful for these reworked classics. At least for the good ones.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Jay-Z vs. TOOL (SOBER)

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    the mash-up of "Sexual Healing/Waiting in Vain."

The version i have of this is only 1:30, theres gotta be a full length right? Anybody?