Chicago Heads: don't sleep on this...

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central

I'm talking of course about the the massive Tropicalia exhibit showing at the MCA (but only until January 8th!). Featuring all sorts of art, print, audio, visual & other media raers for your oogling pleasures. Just got back from it today and its pretty

and a tip to strutters on a budget: admission is free on Tuesdays.

Comments

• how fucking cool is that...
    HELLO CHICAGO!!!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'll have to check that out. As much good stuff that goes on at the M.C.A., the place still slips off my radar screen.

• been meaning to check this out for a min. I get in to the contemporary for free w/ guests so if a s.s. posse wants to organize maybe mid January let me know.

Thier Dan Flavin show was and im looking forward to the Chris Ware show in the spring.

• wicked! appreciate the heads up!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Been wanting to check this out too.

Regulatoooooors?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    has anyone gone? is it worth it for me to take an emergency road trip to chicago to check it out?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    that place is awesome. here's a funny storie about the last time i went there...

i had a day off from work on the road, so i walked the few blocks from the cass hotel (fucking dive) to the MCA, and as i walked through the doors, i see david bowie standing right next to me. he was actually talking really loud, like he wasn't trying to remain inconspicuous, so after he walked toward the wall i was looking at, i asked him politely if i could take his photo for my son's aunt (i know you're not supposed to do this, but she's a bowie freak, and he was already bringing a lot of attention to himself, so i decided "fuck it"). he shook his head, like i just asked him for the keys to his powder-blue lincoln, you know, the one with the micromoog factory installed?, and he said "uh, i don't do that anymore...", so i just stepped back two feet, and took his picture anyway. that's what you get for being a prick, and a really bad actor. my kid's aunt was fucking stoked.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Thier Dan Flavin show was

Other than being able to say "Flavin" in a nerdy voice similar to Professor John Frink from the Simpsons, my friend and I left the Dan Flavin exhibition feeling disappointed.

• Thier Dan Flavin show was

Mad neon for days? For real though, a tropicalia exhibit sounds amazing. Is it a travelling exhibit? (I ask as I cross my fingers hoping it will make it to Cali) If it does, I have a bag of weed with er'bodys name on it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    that place is awesome. here's a funny storie about the last time i went there...

i had a day off from work on the road, so i walked the few blocks from the cass hotel (fucking dive) to the MCA, and as i walked through the doors, i see david bowie standing right next to me. he was actually talking really loud, like he wasn't trying to remain inconspicuous, so after he walked toward the wall i was looking at, i asked him politely if i could take his photo for my son's aunt (i know you're not supposed to do this, but she's a bowie freak, and he was already bringing a lot of attention to himself, so i decided "fuck it"). he shook his head, like i just asked him for the keys to his powder-blue lincoln, you know, the one with the micromoog factory installed?, and he said "uh, i don't do that anymore...", so i just stepped back two feet, and took his picture anyway. that's what you get for being a prick, and a really bad actor. my kid's aunt was fucking stoked.

dawg, you should have scolded him for his package in Labrynth. That shit was not cool! Especially for a kids movie.

• Been wanting to check this out too.

Regulatoooooors?

I get back from Pgh on the 10th. Probably going to roll to the MCA on Sunday the 15th of January. holler

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm under the impression that this exhibit closes Jan. 8.

Has anyone ever been to the summer solstice parties at the M.C.A.? Those are legendary. They basically have about 100 mini exhibits, performances and freak shows all over the museum campus, and the whole thing goes from like noon to noon on the solstice, with the party hitting a freaky climax at about 3 a.m. Good times.

A couple years ago, I caught a cool performance there. It was Beans (formally of Antipop Consortium), glam rocker Bobby Conn (sp?), and John McLean (I think) who is one of the drummers from Tortoise.