why are the urban youth obsessed with scarface?

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
just wondering. my boy and i were speaking on this today. he's from seattle, but visiting here, and asked me about it. said he sees dudes wearing 3xl scarface white leather jackets out there. i see tons of kids in my neighborhood rockin scarface jackets, tees, cell phones...what the dilly yo?

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    who's your boy? The obsession? Great marketing of a dirt poor dude that made it to the top and did it by being gangster the whole way. Even the original movie poster says he wanted "The American Dream". Everyone wants that, that is why it is the dream. Youth needs something to look at and look up to. So coroporate america gives em' the movie Scarface and not just music from the Dipset!

• Youth needs something to look at and look up to.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Youth needs something to look at and look up to.

I know but this is what they like, well for the most part. And 50 cent, g-unit, dipset.

• Because of all the marketable one liners.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Pacino looks good sequined.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I think it's all kids that are like rappers-that-rhyme-about-scarface that are into wearing it.

• Youth needs something to look at and look up to.

I know but this is what they like, well for the most part. And 50 cent, g-unit, dipset.

i understand that this is what "they" like dee..but seriously, why? there are better heroes out there than scarface, seriously. i mean i liked the movie when it came out, but i didn't want to live the life. i was 14 years old, and the last thing i wanted to do was pick up an uzi because scarface said so. that and my parents would have kicked my ass.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i dont understand either. i understand the whole premise of coming from nothing to something, but its an ass movie.

• Why don't you ask them...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    just wondering. my boy and i were speaking on this today. he's from seattle, but visiting here, and asked me about it. said he sees dudes wearing 3xl scarface white leather jackets out there. i see tons of kids in my neighborhood rockin scarface jackets, tees, cell phones...what the dilly yo?

my lil bro just graduated high school and is into this trend.

if they had scarface joints back when i first discoved the movie, i probably would've copped.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I first saw this when I was really young at my cousins on laserdisc. But I didn't watch it again til high school. The chainsaw scene fukked me up at that age. It's great quotes is probably why its so huge.

Tonight I was boxing day shopping at The Eaton Centre and a 50 year old dude bought a framed poster of scarface at one of the stores I was in.

Then I walked out the door to goto futureshop and walked into this 15 mins after it happened.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1135638541412&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Shit is fukked up out there.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    its an ass movie.

its an ass movie.

its an ass movie.

That it most definitely is, but we're not talking educated nor informed cinephiles here either... Brian De Palma = hack...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Then I walked out the door to goto futureshop and walked into this 15 mins after it happened.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1135638541412&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

B -

I was gonna ask you about it; someone on another board posted that 2 are now dead?

B -

I was gonna ask you about it; someone on another board posted that 2 are now dead?

I just got back from Ottawa late lastnight and thought I'd go do some boxing day shopping. Was in The Eaton Centre and thought I would head up to Futureshop to think about buying a new lcd, the cops were already there in full force 15 mins after it happened. I just got home a bit ago and I've just turned on the news. I walked around the block (Had part of yonge locked down) and went into Play De and talked to Nav for a minute. People all looked kinda all shocked out. I now see that one gurl was dead on the scene. Shit is sad... She was shopping with her mom.

Here's the most messed up thing. And now thinking about it, it almost makes me sick.

About 30 mins later, we went into Swiss Chalet across from Play and had dinner. And everyone working and eating was talking about it. But we all just ate food... Or went on with things, less than 100 feet away from where a girl just died. I didn't know anyone died til I got home, but still. Makes you really think about things...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

fucking christ

• Then I walked out the door to goto futureshop and walked into this 15 mins after it happened.

fucking christ

First, what is Boxing Day? I've seen it on calendars but I have no idea what the meaning is behind it.

Second, at the end of the article they have
    [i]There have been 78 murders in Toronto this year, including a record 52 by gunfire. The city set a record for murders in 1991, with 88./I>

That is really low for a city of 2 1/2 million people. Actually that's amazing. Cleveland frequently tops 100 and there are less than half a mil in the city limits these days.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I thought this was gonna be about Mr. Face

damn

oh well, enjoy:

---

Geto Boys - It Ain't Shit Lyrics

Scarface:

Nigg*s hangin' deep on the cut

Sippin' on a motherf**kin' 40 ounce of Gooden

Ain't shit changed in my hood since '86

And 1987 I was swore into the clique

All the triflin' bitches in my hood smoked moes

And all the gangsta ass nigg*s rode vogues

Drop Monty Carlos, El Dogs and Caddy Coups

Firin' up fry flaggin' hoes out the roof ?

Car down crush ? and fresh paint

Eight in the back you hear my Alpine crank

All of my nigg*s they had a truck load of dope

Cause back in the gang you can get it by the boat

It's 1993 new bounds are being broken

If you ain't bangin' then you gots to be smokin'

Cause I remember back when the nigg* had green

Seen him at the pipes and now the nigg* is just a dope fiend

Funny how a nigg*, sold a key or two

Is down on his ass and all of a sudden he remember you

Everythings cool I'm the nigg*s man

Reachin' out his arm tryin' to shake a nigg* hand

But I just walked away and left his shit to hang

Cause back in the game I had a motherf**kin' thang

And that's why I walk with my hands on my dick

A nigg* say 'what up?'

I look around and I say 'This!'

And I could give a f**k if the nigg* gets pissed

Cause if he wants a chunk I'm a get up in his shit

Scarface talking:

Huh like it ain't shit yeah. I thought you knew. It ain't shit.

Uh, yeah.

Yeah. Yeah.

Scarface:

Creepin' comin' up a yellow stonin'

Put my shit in park and drunk a St. Ises with my homey

Reminisced on fast times past times and shit

Smokin' on some bud I came acroos my nigg* Kick

I gave my boy some dap and asked him what's the haps

Chillin' with this girl and a gat across his laps

I knew he had some drama I didn't even have to ask it

Now where were them bitches at it's time to kick some asses

He told what had happened and now I'm thinkin' F**K

I'm callin' up south acres it's time to get 'em up

My motherf**kin' neighborhood is quick to get with static

Never showin' fear cause these nigg*s never had it

Everybody's trapped, quick to go to war

Quick to kill your ass quick to jack your car

So if you see some shit then I suggest you punch it

Cause what's about to happen you may not be able to stomach

Killers killers killers steady smokin' fry

So nigg* lay it down or die motherf**kers die

F**kin' with my family you dick is in the paint

So don't think that it's shit cause nigg*ro it ain't

Shit to brake 'em off I'm brakin' 'em off with chunks

Siggedy south iggedy acres ain't no motherf**kin' punks

And drive-by shootin' ain't the motherf**kin' shit

Cause nigg*s plot hits after motherf**kin' hits

Killin' you ass for kicks doin' shit for the murder

And since you want me to die you gots to die cause you deserve

ta

Now here take two motherf**kin' slugs (bang)

Cause f**kin' with the kid is the grounds of being drugged

Mister mister Face the hardest nigg* being heard

Cause all I have in this world is my balls and my word

I'm sick of motherf**kers thinkin' they run shit

Until you face to face wiith Scarface you ain't done shit

I'm killin' off you mark ass nigg*s with a slug from a glock

motherf**kers

I'm a born killer, I really thought you knew bitch

I'm slappin' hoes and cappin' fools

It ain't shit

It ain't shit you know what I'm sayin'? Yeah

• I thought this was gonna be about Mr. Face

damn

you should be so lucky you hatter.

Dude.. Didn't you see BFC? We live in a crime free country with our doors unlocked.

Boxing day is just a day of huge retail sales. Everyone goes shopping for year end deals. Something like 1/4 of all our adult population was out shoppin'.

The numbers may seem low, but they are talking about Canadian Stats. I mean, sure.. 2.5 million people... But I always think about how our country is bigger than the US and with 10 times smaller the population size.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Boxing day is just a day of huge retail sales. Everyone goes shopping for year end deals. Something like 1/4 of all our adult population was out shoppin'.

It's a British tradition that's filtered down through the rest of the Commonwealth (e.g. Australia, New Zealand), dates back from the time of Queen Victoria when the underprivileged/impoverished would receive cash and/or other goods from the monied classes - it's also known as St. Stephen's Day...

As for 2005, it's just the day after Christmas sale - just heard on the BBC that retailers in the UK enjoyed one of the busiest/most profitable days of this past year on the 26th...

• Maybe kids like Scarface for the same reasons kids cop A Clockwork Orange gear. Because the are mystified with the darker side of life, because it's rebellious, and it may annoy their parents. Simple as that IMO. Why were we all obsessed with NWA in the late 80s. Did that make me go out and act that shit out? No. In reality I dealt with the issues, but that had nothing to do with loving NWA, Scarface, or any other fictional figure. Give the youth a little more credit.

• Why were we all obsessed with NWA in the late 80s. Did that make me go out and act that shit out? No. In reality I dealt with the issues, but that had nothing to do with loving NWA, Scarface, or any other fictional figure. Give the youth a little more credit.

Exactly. Kids do deserve some credit, I think. Look back to the late '80s. For most of us, our obsession with NWA would have lead us into copping an NWA shirt rather than acting out their rhymes and copping a gun.

It's no different with today's youth and idolizing Scarface. Tony Montana was a bad ass cat who didn't take shit off nobody -- and its that sensationalism that kids are attracted to. Maybe by rocking a Scarface shirt they FEEL like a "gangsta" without actually having to BE a "gangsta."