Chubby Checker's Psych LP?

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Some dude told me about this at a show. Chubby Checker did a kickass psych LP after all his bullshit twist spinoff LPs and his label didn't wanna release it. It was only released in Belgium and recently reissued. Was he telling a fable? Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum? Thanks and peaceT.N.

Comments

• Some dude told me about this at a show. Chubby Checker did a kickass psych LP after all his bullshit twist spinoff LPs and his label didn't wanna release it. It was only released in Belgium and recently reissued. Was he telling a fable? Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum?

The album does exist, and there's an article about it in the most recent issue of Ugly Things. It was released in a few foreign markets in '69 or '70 (under different titles), but wasn't issued in full until the 80's, on a shady budget label called 51 West.

I'm not sure, but I think his US label at the time would have been Buddah, where he charted in 1969 with a remake of the Beatles'"Back In The USSR."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Thanks pickwick!

• Anytime, bro! And have a merry Xmas on me!!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Some dude told me about this at a show. Chubby Checker did a kickass psych LP after all his bullshit twist spinoff LPs and his label didn't wanna release it. It was only released in Belgium and recently reissued. Was he telling a fable? Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum?

The album does exist, and there's an article about it in the most recent issue of Ugly Things. It was released in a few foreign markets in '69 or '70 (under different titles), but wasn't issued in full until the 80's, on a shady budget label called 51 West.

I'm not sure, but I think his US label at the time would have been Buddah, where he charted in 1969 with a remake of the Beatles'"Back In The USSR."

This is why you're one of my best friends - you have knowledge, yeah, but you're not afraid to share it with the littler dudes (myself at the top of the list) in a non-condescending manner.

For folks who don't know - JP is one solid dude (in real life, where things count). Merry Christmas, buddy. From all us young punks.

• Some dude told me about this at a show. Chubby Checker did a kickass psych LP after all his bullshit twist spinoff LPs and his label didn't wanna release it. It was only released in Belgium and recently reissued. Was he telling a fable? Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum?

This is why you're one of my best friends - you have knowledge, yeah, but you're not afraid to share it with the littler dudes (myself at the top of the list) in a non-condescending manner.
    For folks who don't know - JP is one solid dude (in real life, where things count). Merry Christmas, buddy. From all us young punks.

Hey, it ain't about the big dude sonning the little dude so they can have first dibs on the "raers" or anything like that, it's just about taking alla that knowledge and passing it on. This way, EVERYBODY knows the deal, not just the Real Headz. Happy holidaze, y'all!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    you have knowledge, yeah, but you're not afraid to share it with the littler dudes (myself at the top of the list) in a non-condescending manner.

I concur. Pickwick is definetely on of my fave posters on here. Minimal BS, maximum knowledge.

I'd like to hear Checker's psych excursions.

• I'd like to hear Checker's psych excursions.

I like to hear anything Checker did after the mid-sixties, because he was always going out of his way to prove that there was more to him than the twist. "Back In The USSR," that fake reggae single he did for 20th Century in 1973, that faux-Springsteen album he did for MCA in 1982 - all sorta cheesy, but I still like him, and you gotta give him credit for trying. I've been on the lookout for his psych album for quite a few years now.

BTW, I get the impression that Checker is not only bitter about how the rock historians have slighted him, but he's embarrassed about his psych LP. The discography on his website doesn't mention it, and (according to Ugly Things magazine) when an associate asked him about it, he muttered something about it not selling and angrily stalked off.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I like to hear anything Checker did after the mid-sixties, because he was always going out of his way to prove that there was more to him than the twist. "Back In The USSR," that fake reggae single he did for 20th Century in 1973

The Reggae track is crap, but the flipside is a monster of a number called Gypsy.

CHUBBY CHECKER
    Gypsy/Reggae My Way (20th Century 73)
    Who woulda thought, Chubby ???Let???s Do The Twist??? Checker could???ve produced something as nasty sounding as Gypsy. Not only that, but it was the B-side to a cheesy mix of Reggae and ???Love Is Strange??? called Reggae My Way. I originally heard this tune on a mix from a Vinyl Vulture and quickly went out looking for a copy of my own. Gypsy starts off with some loud ???Gaa-Gaa??? sounds before a funky ass drum break followed by some organ lead into the chorus with just the drums and Checker singing about how he???s a gypsy and he doesn???t give a damn! Well alright Mr. Twist! The song reaches a crescendo with some Rock tinged guitar before another very short drum break leads back into the chorus. A great tune and something worthwhile to track down as it???s not very expensive.

• POST DELETED[/b] - accidentally hit the wrong icons and posted an earlier post twice! Spiked egg nog will make you do weird shit like that...

• Yeah, I'd like to hear this "Gypsy" track after reading your description. My copy is a promo, with the reggae song on both sides.

• I got the Chubby psych album and the 45, they were released in Spain in the early 70s. The album is called "Chubby Checker" and it was released on many budget label across Europe and in the Usa. As far as I know, the 45 was only released in Spain and it features the best tracks from the album: "My Mind" is heavy guitar psych ??la Hendrix & "Stoned in the bathroom" is cool garage-psych. Rest of the albun is superb, it reminds me of some of the "Vindicator" era Arthur Lee.

• It was only released in Belgium and recently reissued.
    Thanks and peace
    T.N.

are you sure it has been reisued? I've never seen a reissue.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My "source" said it was reissued recently. Problem with looking for it on eBay is there are a MILLION crap Chubby Checker releases. Apparently, Chubby also has a Northern Soul raer tune as well. Who knows, I'm on the case like Sleuther though.

The only reissue I know of is on 51 West, a budget label from the States. I forget the title, although I could dig up the issue of Ugly Things that I got the info from.

As far as a PROPER, STRAIGHT-UP reissue, with liner notes and whatnot...I have yet to see that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'd love to find the psych lp - and btw can we all agree that Ugly Things is the greatest magazine in the world - but so far my favorite Chubby Checker record is the 45 of "Karate Monkey"

• I'd love to find the psych lp - and btw can we all agree that Ugly Things is the greatest magazine in the world

...ah, tied with Roctober

so far my favorite Chubby Checker record is the 45 of "Karate Monkey"

i gotta admit, man, even on his HITS chubby was bringing it...he did a better version of "pony time" than don covay, and don WROTE it!! and i'm a huge covay fan, too, but checker's version is just better realized.

The only reissue I know of is on 51 West, a budget label from the States. I forget the title, although I could dig up the issue of Ugly Things that I got the info from.

As far as a PROPER, STRAIGHT-UP reissue, with liner notes and whatnot...I have yet to see that.

there's a guy on ebay, I think he was from Belgium, that has sold many copies of the original belgian pressing...could it be a "new" pressing?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What I really wanna know is if Tubby Chess[/b] ever made a psych lp!