Frank Zappa ???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Back in the dayz, my buddy introduced me to some Zappa. The THINGFISH cassette iz what I mostly remember. I always wanted to venture into the Zappa catalog.Any recommondations?

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    freak out!

• I'd recommend hot rats ,(!) and overnite sensation.

• the easiest way to get into frank zappa is probably overnight sensation and apostrophe. they are the most "normal" sounding zappa. hot rats and one size fits all are also dope as hell. "sleep dirt" is

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hot Rats
    Chunga's Revenge

• Overall, I'd have to go with this one but it's not a good place to start:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    freak out!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    freak out!

Zappa takes a piss (in the snow!) on the notion that you need to be high on drugs to be crazy creative.

• freak out!

Zappa takes a piss (in the snow!) on the notion that you need to be high on drugs to be crazy creative.

At his best, but at his worst his music is damn near unbearable. And I say this as someone who enjoys a lot of his music.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Overall, I'd have to go with this one but it's not a good place to start:

"What's the ugliest part of your body?"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    freak out!

At his best, but at his worst his music is damn near unbearable. And I say this as someone who enjoys a lot of his music.

That's why threads like these are important. I, for one, haven't delved too deep into Zappa's catalog. I have only heard maybe three of his records, the first of which was Apostrophe which was great.

But where does one start with a guy who has put out more than 50 records? At the beginning? I need some guidance!

• freak out!

That's why threads like these are important. I, for one, haven't delved too deep into Zappa's catalog. I have only heard maybe three of his records, the first of which was Apostrophe which was great.

But where does one start with a guy who has put out more than 50 records? At the beginning? I need some guidance!

In my opinion you can cut down on the number of Zappa albums you need to hear by first avoiding all of his synth-based orchestral later work from the 80's on. I guess everything up to Joe's Garage is a lot of hits and some misses...If I had to choose my other favorites:

Freak Out!
    We're Only In it For the Money
    Absolutely Free
    Hot Rats
    One Size Fits All

And as far as Zappa-produced classics:

Captain Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica
    GTO's

Are there any other classics on Bizarre Records (I think Alice Cooper's early shit is on Bizarre)?

• Are there any other classics on Bizarre Records (I think Alice Cooper's early shit is on Bizarre)?

I like the Persuasions' Acapella album on Bizarre's sister label, Straight. Like the title sorta indicates, this is acapella soul (NOT doo-wop)...a lot more "normal" than what Bizarre or Straight normally put out. Poorly recorded, but with a heart of gold.

Incidentally, we had a Zappa thread this summer if you wanna look into this topic further ("Let's Talk Frank Zappa," 8/8/05).

• Uncle Meat

Thing Fish is probably the worst(weirdest)place to start with Zappa.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    HOT RATS

and everytime i see that weasels ripped my flesh cover i just wanna kick myself for not picking up basically a zappa discography ot a thrift store once (fuck being cashless and too stupid to hide records you want to come back for)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hot Rats.

I'm also partial to 200 Motels. "Mystery Roach" is my shit.

• HOT RATS

and everytime i see that weasels ripped my flesh cover i just wanna kick myself for not picking up basically a zappa discography ot a thrift store once (fuck being cashless and too stupid to hide records you want to come back for)

Get a Little from "Weasels..." is sounding real good right now (sorry non-Mac users, m4a only)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Are there any other classics on Bizarre Records (I think Alice Cooper's early shit is on Bizarre)?

Both Buckley lps, both beefheart lps, Jeff Simmons: "Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up", all 4 Alice Cooper records (though they were all reished on Warner), Tim Dawe: "Penrod"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm not too into Zappa but I got a soft spot for that Ruben and the Jets doo-wop shit. "Love of my life" is my jam.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Any recommondations?

Yes. Stay the fuck away from Thing-Fish.

Start out with their first LP, Freak Out! ("Trouble Every Day" is quality), and move on to stuff like Apostrophe (*), Hot Rats, and Chunga's Revenge. Those albums are more uniform (meaning less messy & scatterbrained) than the rest of his work. Like someone said - these albums are nice jumping-off points. Then, try stuff like Weasels Ripped My Flesh ("Directly From My Heart To You"), Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Uncle Meat, We're Only In It For The Money, Over-Nite Sensation, Zoot Allures (underrated), and even (overdubs, content and all) Sheik Yerbouti.

Try to avoid the 80s stuff until you've at least wrapped your head around the 70s and late 60s.

Zappa has nutty fans who collect his live sets nearly as fervently as Deadheads. I'm not up on any of these live boot sessions or weird DJ MONO-ONLY EXTRA MIX shit, but I'm telling you: don't spend more than $15-20 on any of his albums - especially when starting out - they're ubiquitous enough that patience (and buddies at the local store) will provide.

• Cool thing about Frank Zappa, he just had birthday .. on the 21 .. same day as mine

• I'm listening to "one size fits all" right now. Funny schitt.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

• Are there any other classics on Bizarre Records (I think Alice Cooper's early shit is on Bizarre)?

I like the Persuasions' Acapella album on Bizarre's sister label, Straight. Like the title sorta indicates, this is acapella soul (NOT doo-wop)...a lot more "normal" than what Bizarre or Straight normally put out. Poorly recorded, but with a heart of gold.

Incidentally, we had a Zappa thread this summer if you wanna look into this topic further ("Let's Talk Frank Zappa," 8/8/05).

Don't forget this thread too.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Don't forget this thread too.

I missed that, thanks. Zappa is so onpoint.