Need expert advice re: eBay purchase

SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I might have had my first experience with a non-shipping eBay seller recently. It has been exactly 11 days since I made a purchase for a CD (strangely, a nicely priced "BuyItNow" item that was one of my "White Whales" - too good to be true, perhaps?) and have yet to receive my item. Upon making my Paypal payment, I got a seemingly automated email from the seller stating that my item was shipped. Unfortunately, 2 subsequent emails inquiring of the whereabouts of said CD from me - one sent 7 days after payment, the other one today - have gone unanswered. It should be said that the item was shipped with uninsured media mail service; the seller didn't offer any other alternatives in their eBay storefront. The seller is in NY, while I am on the west coast. Even with the compromised, cheap mode of shipping used, 10 days is an abnormally long time for it to arrive.What recourse do I have in the event that I have been scammed or that the seller, who has a fairly good, but not perfect, eBay feedback record, states that it must've been "lost in the mail"? Do I go through PayPal in order to have my payment refunded?SG

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Speak to ebay first. They'll know what to do.

They'll be able to tell you for sure what your options are.

I'd probably send an email to the seller too, telling them I am taking it to ebay.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you can file a claim at paypal and they'll send them a notice that unless he can prove he sent it by providing them with a confirmation #, not just a receipt, they'll refund your money back from him/her. you have up to 30 days to file a claim, after that you're screwed. i'd wait til about 3 weeks, the P.O. can be slow at times and if the seller has hundreds of items listed at once it might take them a little longer to send out their junk even if their automated responce says differently.

• shipped with uninsured media mail service

Media mail can be really slow. I'd give it a few more days. Since you paid with Paypal, you're safe. You can always place a claim through them and say you never received your item. You'll get a full refund. BUT, don't do this until you are sure that it's not there. You need to give it more time.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    10 days is not that long for coast to coast media mail. I'd give it another week.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I thank all of you for the advice. I'll give it another week or so before I take further action.

SG

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    The other day I received a record via Media Mail that took two months, no more no less to arrive from NY- no bull. Not that you should necessarily give dude that much time, but sayin it can happen.