Hood Czech: Long Beach, CA

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
So yo - I might take a job down in Long Beach: yeah, that's right, I'm about to get all professorial (this will likely astound many) down at CSU. I've never spent time in Long Beach though. What's hot? What's not? Will Ein let me buy all his discarded library records off him?Will I be forced to endure countless "so...you hang with Snoop in the LBC or what?" jokes?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Will I be forced to endure countless "so...you hang with Snoop in the LBC or what?" jokes?

yes.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    so... did you hang with Snoop on the way to your interview?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Will I be forced to endure countless "so...you hang with Snoop in the LBC or what?" jokes?

yes.

Forget that then! I'm staying in the Yay.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

yes.

DOUBLE TRUE!

yes.

DOUBLE TRUE!

• Will I be forced to endure countless "so...you hang with Snoop in the LBC or what?" jokes?

yes.

DOUBLE TRUE!

man i need to revisit that snl skit again.

I think CSU Long Beach has an internet only radio station... they've got the nicest Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. that is all i know.

-rich

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

yes.

DOUBLE TRUE!

damn! I was searching for that JPG before i put up the text!

• they've got the nicest Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. that is all i know.
    The actual restaurant might be nice, but the ones in LA have better food.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I keep on reading this thread title as "TIMBZ & HOOD CHECK"

Yahmsaying?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I keep on reading this thread title as "TIMBZ & HOOD CHECK"

Yahmsaying?

• O, all i can say is it's one of the coziest citys on earth. perfect weather. i'm always happy to come home. been here my whole life. it's the perfect size 1/2 million. no traffic. close enough to L.A. and
    S.D. the main problem is housing. i rent a 1 br apt. for 1000 a month but its pretty big.
    if you are looking to buy we have the whole spectrum of neighborhood types.
    2 br house would go for between 425k-1mill depending on the hood. 2br condo between 300k and 500k. so rent and mortgage is tough. all types of food,shopping,entertainment,etc. and most importantly. bagatelle. pm if you have any questions. peace, stein. . .

• pm if you have any questions. peace, stein. . .

Plaese to roomies w/ODub, Mrs. ODub, and Mini-dub.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So you won't be hanging with E-40 any more?

• I just moved to Long Beach myself. Ive lived in LA Berkley and Boston. in terms of records this city is pretty dry in comparison.

Bagatelle
    Owner is very very cool but you wont find too much here anymore. ive been to the back of the store several times when hes got new stuff in and havent found much.

Fingerprints
    eh.

some other record joint on 4th street
    eh.

recently drove out to costa mesa to peep a new store called nerdboy
    weeksauce

OC record show at buena park
    this is your best bet
    however as years go by less and less is to be found here as well.

no rasputin, groove merchant, groove yard etc.

dont mean to sound to harsh but dont move here for the records.

If you do decide to make the the move feel free to hit me up ive got some doubles for the trade

B

• I just moved to Long Beach myself. Ive lived in LA Berkley and Boston. in terms of records this city is pretty dry in comparison.

Bagatelle
    Owner is very very cool but you wont find too much here anymore. ive been to the back of the store several times when hes got new stuff in and havent found much.

Fingerprints
    eh.

some other record joint on 4th street
    eh.

recently drove out to costa mesa to peep a new store called nerdboy
    weeksauce

OC record show at buena park
    this is your best bet
    however as years go by less and less is to be found here as well.

no rasputin, groove merchant, groove yard etc.

dont mean to sound to harsh but dont move here for the records.

If you do decide to make the the move feel free to hit me up ive got some doubles for the trade

B
    yeah. long beach is small compared to those other places you have lived. so naturally you wont find as many records. did you try dizzy vinyl on 7th street or tape and record room on 3rd street. velvet underground on atlantic has been good. bagatelle aint no groove merchant but the dope thing is reasonable prices. i went there today and got 15 records.
    all $2- $6:
    sea dog - sea dog
    ron geesin/roger waters - the body
    creation - super rock in the highest voltage(braek)
    tommy boyce & bobby hart - wonder what shes doing tonite
    booty green - pray to booty
    american metaphysical circus - s/t
    soul monster - v/a bootleg wolfman jack comp.
    kitty and the heywoods - love shock
    tyrone davis - s/t
    herbie mann - windows opened
    group therapy - 37 minutes
    fever tree - another time another place
    edwin starr - s/t/
    bo grumpus - before the war
    if you want to really really come up go to the cypress swatmeet on valley view sat and sun
    morning at 6am i promise you you will get good stuff. peace, stein. . .

• Hey Oliver, Don't know you but I just moved from Long Beach to San Francisco a few months ago. It's a good place to live and a great place to raise a family. You will miss the Bay, that's a given but it ain't so bad there.

As far as records, Bagatelle. There's other places that get goodies in like Dizzies but not as consistently. I've always walked away from there happy. The trick is not to go in with a want list, just go in and dig, get to know the owners and they'll be hookin you up in no time. Steve's a good guy and know's how to price to sell. Fingerprints is O.K., I used to work there so I'm pretty biased, it's a good store if you're looking for everything and not just beats and what not, they try to cover all the bases. Otherwise hit up Goat Hill in Costa Mesa or Stacks in Cerritos. That's pretty much it for records without going to L.A.

CSULB is a good school and they run an FM Jazz format station out of there that has a pretty decent Latin show on Friday nights.

Basically it's a great place cuz you're not in L.A. and you're not in the O.C., it's a comfy middle ground with the best of both worlds. Plus right now it's like 75 degrees!

Of course I gotta sing the praises cuz I grew up there.

Oh yeah, the beaches suck.
    -J

• They got the Houghton Skate Park so they cool with me. Never make it down that way much. Where I live it's gridlock and bad parking, 24/7. On the flip side, I don't really have to go anywhere and I'm where it's at.

LB seems cool to me. Anyplace with good weather year around is paradise. It's all I need.

• It's a good place to live and a great place to raise a family
    i think jacob nailed it right there! peace, stein. . .

'Sup Stein, you gonna be at The Que Sera Saturday?
    -J

-J
    dont know. gettin ready to go to oz and japan on monday so i might just be laying low this weekend. but maybe. hope s.f. is treating you well. happy holidays!
    peace, stein. . .

-J
    dont know. gettin ready to go to oz and japan on monday so i might just be laying low this weekend. but maybe. hope s.f. is treating you well. happy holidays!

peace, stein. . .

Japan eh? If you're in Osaka you should hit up Rodi, he says he's gonna start up a band with the dude who runs a record shop called Caliente out there. Supposed to have some niceness in there. Happy Holidays to you as well!
    -J

-J

peace, stein. . .

Japan eh? If you're in Osaka you should hit up Rodi, he says he's gonna start up a band with the dude who runs a record shop called Caliente out there. Supposed to have some niceness in there. Happy Holidays to you as well!
    -J
    i'll try to hit him up. were gonna be in osaka. never been to caliente but they got a super dope spot called BOON COON RECORDS. funniest name ever. peace, stein. . .

• BOON COON RECORDS. funniest name ever.

There was an A.B.C. thread a couple months ago.

So you won't be hanging with E-40 any more?

I never hung with E-40. He's up in Richmond. More accurate would be...

So you won't be hanging with JT the Bigga Figga any more?

Bump...

A question I should have asked:

Where are good places to live (with a young child) down in or around Long Beach? One of my main concerns is that I know, by the harbor, the air quality is supposedly horrendous - asthma rates are off the chart in some parts. I know ZERO about that whole part of Los Angeles, though I know some of the other faculty at the school live in places like Torrance and Seal Beach.

Any neighborhoods you'd recommend? As well as recommend against?

Thanks.

• in long beach-

GOOD:

bixby knolls

signall hill

belmont shore

belmont heights

california heights

college park

traffic circle areas

downtown(some awesome lofts)

naples

state college area

carrol park

BAD!:

west side(dont even go there)

north long beach(aka rancho compton)

anywhere near anaheim street BAD.

GOOD NEAR LONG BEACH:

torrance all good. about 10 min drive to csulb on 405 frwy

cerritos all good. about 10 min drive to csulb on 605 frwy

seal beach all good. about 15 min drive from csulb on 22 frwy

san pedro i love pedro but there could be some air quality issues due to constant flow of trucks and water vessles. there is some really nice areas called miraleste i think.

palos verdes is the bomb but quite expensive. and about 30 min drive to csulb.

redondo and hermosa beach are very nice about 20 min drive on 405 frwy

lakewood is also very nice it's the next city north of lb about 15 min drive to csulb.

AVOID!

norwalk

paramount

downey

carson

wilmington

lomita

harbor city

gardena

peace, stein. . .

p.s. sorry if i dissed anyones hood.

Damn, this is mad thoro.

Danke.
    in long beach-
    GOOD:
    bixby knolls
    signall hill
    belmont shore
    belmont heights
    california heights
    college park
    traffic circle areas
    downtown(some awesome lofts)
    naples
    state college area
    carrol park
    BAD!:
    west side(dont even go there)
    north long beach(aka rancho compton)
    anywhere near anaheim street BAD.
    GOOD NEAR LONG BEACH:
    torrance all good. about 10 min drive to csulb on 405 frwy
    cerritos all good. about 10 min drive to csulb on 605 frwy
    seal beach all good. about 15 min drive from csulb on 22 frwy
    san pedro i love pedro but there could be some air quality issues due to constant flow of trucks and water vessles. there is some really nice areas called miraleste i think.
    palos verdes is the bomb but quite expensive. and about 30 min drive to csulb.
    redondo and hermosa beach are very nice about 20 min drive on 405 frwy
    lakewood is also very nice it's the next city north of lb about 15 min drive to csulb.
    AVOID!
    norwalk
    paramount
    downey
    carson
    wilmington
    lomita
    harbor city
    gardena
    peace, stein. . .
    p.s. sorry if i dissed anyones hood.

• sie sind sehr willkommen.
    peace, stein. . .

• Damn, this is mad thoro.

Danke.
    in long beach-
    GOOD:
    BAD!:
    AVOID!

That was a great post, I feel like I'm ready to go househunting in the Long Beach area myself The only thing 'stein didn't cover was public schools. I know little 'dub has a few years but you never know how long you're going to be somewhere... I speak from experience as this is a major, major influence as I do research working towards buying my first house/property. Of course, maybe you're making the big loot these days and can spare for private school, I dunno.

It seems many times you can read all sorts of info on a place on the Internet, but all you really need is about 5 or 10 minutes with someone of a like mindset that lives in the area where you want to be.

Up here (in the Bay), everyone and their mama uses craigslist for apt. rentals but Craigslist LA seems a bit more limited. What are the best rental resources for the Southland?