2005 ??? Year of Bad Pressings?

georgegeorge 3 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Is it just me, or was 2005 worse than ever for dished, warped and otherwise poorly-manufactured records? It seems to be a complete lottery when unsealing new releases at the moment. There???s something like a one-in-four chance that the contents won???t be flat and glossy, and this goes for both US and European pressings (although I haven???t seen a bad Japanese that I can remember). Apparently plants are overstretched at present, but the lack of quality control has got out of hand - and this goes for some established labels you???d expect stringent quality control from, as well as more fly-by-night operations. It???s especially disconcerting in the current climate for new records, when no-one seems 100% sure what long-term effect paid-for MP3s will have on vinyl sales; the market needs strong releases that have been manufactured with care, not a stream of weak product that???s likely to make already twitchy customers get flakier. Surely a lot of people buy vinyl as opposed to CDs or MP3s because they like to own a high quality physical item, so it follows that relentless shoddy workmanship will deflate collectors??? spending enthusiasm, helping propel vinyl towards the grave more efficiently than a small army of popcorn Serrato DJs ever could?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    popcorn Serrato DJs

oh oh.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    good post man

i keep noticing this as well.. with the trend toward "louder is better" mastering i find alot of wax is just pressed WAY TO LOUD.. like distorting load, needle popping loud, can't back cue its so loud, same spot skips o na brand new record LOUD.

havent noticed any pressing flaws.. just the mastering.

• the first 1000 records pressed from my 3rd release called the "Heat Beats" turned out to have some crazy static in the first 30 seconds of the disc. It wasn't on the test press either. When I heard that ish, I nearly flipped. Thankfully the pressing plant was cool about it and repressed another 1000.

As far as other records out on the market, i gotta say, I havn't noticed much of a decline in quality. One thing for sure, 2005 brought out some great releases. Tons of dope stuff. Don't even want to know how much I spent on records

ez.