IPOD PROBLEM! MISSING FILES FROM LIBRARY

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
anybody have a problem with your song just disappearing from the itunes library? i seem to download song from the internet and save them to my external harddrive. i play them using itunes all the time. but seems after a while files go missing and my itunes says that it cannot find the file but i knwo i still have it on my external. seems like it did it just for a few but now seems like everything is going missing. anybody have this problem?

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Did you happen to re-organize your music files into new folder, move them around or maybe rename the folder they were in? That could be breaking the link.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you know what i did move some thing around. i did not know that itunes looked for links within the computer. now i know. i did move a whole folder around with all the downloads i got from soulstrut a while back. thanks for the help.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Glad I could help...yeah, imagine all the tunes in your library as shortcuts that link to the actual file. When the file that is linked to is moved then you will get the faded grey exclamation mark. you can right click and point the library track to the right place usually though.

• i bought a 4gb Ipod mini(i believe?) for my girlfriend today for $50. i'm happy about that.