Overdoing it

meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
The record world is full of some of the most boastful and overexaggerating people on the planet. I won't lie, I've been guilty of the occasional stretch of the truth (usually to acquire more vinyl). But I've been told some of most outright ridiculous shit in my days of buying records. Example 1: The most recent, I was shown 25 huge plastic tubs full of 78s the other day, and was told it was all "Jazz and Blues". I didn't take a look until a few days later (yesterday). In the entire lot, there was about 40-60 true blues or jazz 78s. Example 2: A friend told me he had just started an Ebay account and sold a record for 200$ I checked later that day, and the record had sold at 140 or so. Example 3: A guy I met told me he had 1000's of records at home, all early house, and in great condition. Verdict: 10 crates of unsleeved, whipped mid 90s garbage house and techno.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I really hate when pawn shop and dollar bin collectors talk about their raer Beatles records. One shop I went into had a Carpenters record for $250 (not even autographed, and I looked in the Goldmine and could see no mention of any record worth that much... please correct me if I'm wrong).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ALL CARPENTERZ IZ RAER

TOP OF THE WORLD PIC DISC PROMO JAWNNY LIKE WHOASERS

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You're not wrong, unless it had a letter from Karen discussing her anorexia.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've never met an old Juke Box operator that wasn't full of shit.

Most of them got hit in the late 60's/early 70's by UK/Euro dudes and sold all their good stuff real cheap.

Later on they realized how they were taken and would tell some of the biggest lies I've ever heard to try to re-coup.

Most famous quotes....

"Nope, no one's ever been through them before"

"These have never been played, I threw them away if they were ever on a machine" (While I'm looking at a grey wear copy of a common Chuck Berry disc that almost worn all the way through)

"They go back to the 50's" Which more often than not wound up being late 70's country

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I've never met an old Juke Box operator that wasn't full of shit.

Most of them got hit in the late 60's/early 70's by UK/Euro dudes and sold all their good stuff real cheap.

Later on they realized how they were taken and would tell some of the biggest lies I've ever heard to try to re-coup.

Freakin' Amen.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

"Nope, no one's ever been through them before"

"These have never been played, I threw them away if they were ever on a machine" (While I'm looking at a grey wear copy of a common Chuck Berry disc that almost worn all the way through)

"They go back to the 50's" Which more often than not wound up being late 70's country

"must be about 1,000,000 records here"

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    a lot of times I feel like its to over-compensate for lack of social ability, sexual activity, hygiene, and whatever else is missing in the life of some of these record dudes.

• a lot of times I feel like its to over-compensate for lack of social ability, sexual activity, hygiene, and whatever else is missing in the life of some of these record dudes.
    good theory. peace, stein. . .

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    a lot of times I feel like its to over-compensate for lack of social ability, sexual activity, hygiene, and whatever else is missing in the life of some of these record dudes.

this is an absolute undisputable truth....

• a lot of times I feel like Soulstrut over-compensates for lack of social ability, sexual activity, hygiene, and whatever else is missing in the life of some of these record dudes.