Shipping to Japan?

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Just sold a big one on e-bay ($990!) and have to ship to Japan. Since the line at the post office is out the door I thought I'd ask you guys what the costs and options are for a single LP. Also sending two to Germany. Any help apprectiated.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    UPS-$50-$60
    USPS
    $12 regular airmail, $13 global priority, $7.50 extra for registered mail.
    BTW, if shipping large packages to Japan, sometimes the difference between EMS shipping and airmail is like $1.

• UPS-$50-$60
    USPS
    $12 regular airmail, $13 global priority, $7.50 extra for registered mail.
    BTW, if shipping large packages to Japan, sometimes the difference between EMS shipping and airmail is like $1.

Thanks. What about insurance?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    for large shipments to japan on the cheap-ish...
    http://www.nipponexpressusa.com/home.php

Alot of record and used clothes dealers ship their goods to japan through Nippon Express. Mostly seamail though.

Not sure. I used to send $200 insurance needed packages to Singapore and that cost $5 something. $990 would probably run towards $12-$15 (guessing). www.usps.com, click calculate postage, click international postage "go" button, click a method of shipping, then add the service of insurance and how much to double check.

• Just sold a big one on e-bay ($990!)

Holy shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just sold a big one on e-bay ($990!) and have to ship to Japan. Since the line at the post office is out the door I thought I'd ask you guys what the costs and options are for a single LP. Also sending two to Germany. Any help apprectiated.

Just curious but what did you sell?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    USPS global priority is the way to go for something like this. will end up being like $30-35ish fully insured.

Can't insure global priority. Can only insure airmail parcel post. Total was $32.10 when I calculated it for my own edification (I estimated weight at 1 lb 4 oz.)
    Peace
    T.N.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Fenner Leland & Obrien?

• Just sold a big one on e-bay ($990!) and have to ship to Japan. Since the line at the post office is out the door I thought I'd ask you guys what the costs and options are for a single LP. Also sending two to Germany. Any help apprectiated.

Fenner Leland & Obrien?

That's the one! My new favorite record.

Can't insure global priority.
    T.N.

yes you can, I've done it. Plus, you get a tracking #

• I'm gonna use this thread to ask a question. I don't want to dumb down the board too much. I'm shipping 6 records to Germany. Should I use the flat rate or variable rate on Global Priority. There's a big difference in cost.

You want Air Letter Post

• That's it? Just offer air letter post? Ok, thanks.

yup - for under 4lbs.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You want Air Letter Post

this is an excellent look

just don't pack it like Crinky here with 2 pieces of cardboard cut off a uhaul box with the recs taped between them and 2 heavy ass empty gatefold sleeves for protection with a brown paper bag wrapping the whole shebang

the whole shack shimmies, crink, at the $2.25 media charge

YOU OVERPAID!

LOL

thanks for the rec though!

loveshack, baby loveshack

Certain destinations and certain methods you can't insure. I went through the steps to find out Crink, and you can't insure that package going to Japan if it's going Global.