Recommend some trippy violin.

progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I've always admired the sound of the violin,whether it's in a classical setting,jazz,chamber rock even new agey stuff.I particularly like the darker more haunting musics that are made with violin.Right now I'm really digging Michael White's-Pneuma Lp(thanks morocco mole).I also really like the violin on this:

+ I've yet to hear Billy Bang's records.What's his stuff like?

+Does anyone know who "The Wizard" is on Frank Lowes'-Beings(Esp)Lp? Is it in fact Michael White?
Any space funk with violins...I have these fictitious sounds in my head that I know are out there somewhere.So I'd appreciate any recommendations on obscure stuff.Anything dark,trippy and thanks.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    J.L. Ponty
    Noel Pointer (find that raer LP, it's bueno)

• +Does anyone know who "The Wizard" is on Frank Lowes'-Beings(Esp)Lp? Is it in fact Michael White?
    it's leroy jenkins.

• girgir 329 Posts
    the sound of violins tuned for classical indian music is probably the most beautifully haunting thing i have ever heard from a violin.

• THAT's the type of sound I'm after.Any specific recommendations?There's so many...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    This guy is a must (but you probably already know):

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of my fave 70's Rock LP's, Peace & Quiet on Kinetic, is held in very low esteem by most rock collectors because it "has those damn violins".

• L Shankar - Who's To Know (ECM)
    Shakti (w L. Shankar) - A Handful Of Beauty (Columbia)
    Strength In Numbers - The Telluride Sessions (MCA) - Mark O'Connor on violin.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    mahavishnu orchestra. birds of fire.

frank zappa. hot rats.

michael urbaniak. Parathyphus B

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I wouldn't call it trippy, but I've always loved this jungle song.

Outside - To Forgive But Not Forget (Lim' Chol V'lo Lishkoach)

- spidey

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    amun duul- phalus dei

some gentle giant LP, can't remember the name...

but, being progbeatz, i'm sure i'm not telling you anything new...

• john blair
    didier lockwood/ surya

• Duuuuuude, still enjoying that Quintessence?

Get the Air Conditioning LP called "Curved Air" (or is the group called Curved Air and the LP "Air Conditioning"? Can??t remember right now) and listen to the last cut on the first side!

Total diabolic violin mindfuck!!!

Highly recommended.

- J

• Got the Curved Air= maybe I need to re-listen.Your avatar is Who the heck is that?

• Here are some I play in part for the violins parts.

Peter Thomas - Sound Music album 6 (with a.o. Phasing Violins)
    Russel garcia - Variations for Flugelhorn, String Quartet, bass & Drums
    Bruno Nicolai - Espressioni
    Les baxter - Cry of the Banshee

I like the lush style too. I have some Phil Woods records that I like in that regard, like Round Trip. Eh, I like me some Jackie Gleason too.

I forgot Didier Lockwood, some good stuff there too.

• Noel Pointer (find that raer LP, it's bueno)

pointer has put out raers?

There's one that RAJ touted once or twice, it is real good and I haven't seen it since I put it back once. Noel's non-raers are solid too in my opinion.
    Peace
    T.N.

• Violin Reactions LP on Vedette.
    Drums and Processed violin... fucking crazy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Pretty much all of his LP's on both Epic & MPS have good - and trippy - shit on them.

• Noel's non-raers are solid too in my opinion.
    Peace
    T.N.

yeah i whipped out my copy of "hold on" yesterday afternoon and was reminded of why it was in my dollarbin keeper pile. real good arrangements and talented violinist to boot.

Noel's non-raers are solid too in my opinion.
    Peace
    T.N.

yeah i whipped out my copy of "hold on" yesterday afternoon and was reminded of why it was in my dollarbin keeper pile. real good arrangements and talented violinist to boot.

I keep keepin the N.Pointers as well for those very reasons, but somehow I just don't see him in a thread associated with the word 'trippy'. Then again, I haven't head that Pointer ish.

Dude got some dark stuff, no trippy though (that I know of)

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Elliot Fisher - Land of make believe on Dobre.

Killer version of 'Money'.

• Noel Pointer (find that raer LP, it's bueno)

I actually found it rather annoying. The violin seemed to conflict more than compliment IMO.

• Right now I'm really digging Michael White's-Pneuma Lp

Check out Michael White on Joe Henderson's The Elements lp.
    Especially a track called Earth. Spacey violin over hard funky drums.

• Got the Curved Air= maybe I need to re-listen.Your avatar is Who the heck is that?

Yeah the entire LP is not so great, but there are a couple of tracks I like, and that last track with the fuzzed out violin is pretty tough.

The avatar is of some danish dude. I found it on google after a search for "Trommis" (Norwegian and Danish for drummer), but I haven??t put any research into the dude??s background yet. Maybe braeks to be found? Brekks? Most likely some dance-band cheesorific guy but who knows?

- J

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Tony Conrad

"Trommis" (Norwegian and Danish for drummer)

Hey J****d, when are you coming to CPH again? "Trommis" is norwegian only. It's "trommeslager" in danish.

- Pax MD

• "The Wizard" on that Frank Lowe is actually an Asian player with the last name Chung.
    I can't recall the first name, but it's not White, Bang or Jenkins.

Hardcore fiddle:

Malcolm Goldstein
    Harley Gaber
    TAKEHISA KOSUGI