MJBLIGE-Breakthrough.

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
So I copped the new album last night. I listened to it, while my Pacers squeaked by the Knicks. 6/10. My favorite song iz her collabo w/ R.Saadiq/YOURE MY EVERTHING...incredible soul song. She tries to cover alot of ground. The 9th Wonder joint is weak. The Jay-Z adlibs only song is weak. The Will.I.Am song iz weak as well. She gives u the usual "girl, u can survive" lyrics.....zzzzzzz.The MJB is MVP song has its moments but its no Breakthrough. Whatever. Oh yeah,she's got a U2 collabo as well..........zzzzzz/A for effort though.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    its an ok cd....not something i would send folks out to buy..but its a decent listen....a few terrible songs...a few good songs....sad to say it's her best cd since Share My World, but not as good....she's been done for a minute...identity crisis

1)my life
    2)share my world
    3)whats the 411
    4)whats the 411 remixes
    5)breakthrough
    6)Mary
    7)Love and life
    8)no more drama

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    identity crisis

I wish she'd stretch out a little more on conceptual tip. But all the hood sisters would be like "WTF?"

• she's been done for a minute...identity crisis

She sold over 700,000 copies her first week. After 4 weeks she's almost sold 1.2 mil. On top of that it came out the same day as the Jamie Foxx record and is doing slightly better.

I didn't realise she had this much selling power still.

by the way - is there a just blaze track on there?

A few months ago some radio station played a track of hers saying it was a just beat...i thought it was rather

I haven't listened to the album and most likely won't.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    We have had trouble keeping this CD in stock. Almost every girl that comes in walks out with this CD, and if she is with her girlfriends, they make whoever doesn't have it, pick it up.

Overall its a decent listen and it seems like she was in more control of this album than her last which I think is good, she just needs a better executive producer to tighten the album up.

I think her following will keep her afloat in the game for a very long time. I used to dismiss her earlier in her career, but I have to acknowledge her staying power. That's some true Old School shit right there. If she isnt really extending her audience, that's fine,but numbers dont lie. She'll never change the game like she's done in the past.
    You can put a fork in many past soul artists, but people like Patti Labelle/Gladys Knight/Natalie Cole continue to make albums for their fans regardless of the hipster radar.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    I think her following will keep her afloat in the game for a very long time. I used to dismiss her earlier in her career, but I have to acknowledge her staying power. That's some true Old School shit right there. If she isnt really extending her audience, that's fine,but numbers dont lie. She'll never change the game like she's done in the past.
    You can put a fork in many past soul artists, but people like Patti Labelle/Gladys Knight/Natalie Cole continue to make albums for their fans regardless of the hipster radar.

That's pretty much how I see it as well, although I generally like what she does. It's my girl who's the real fan in our household, and she's bumped this one a lot more than her last couple. She's definitely aiming for the grown and sexy this time out. It reminded me of mid-80's, peak-era Anita Baker at times, and at least it shows a kind of artistic growth, even if it isn't anything innovative. Her last record represented a real step backwards, I thought - it seemed more about Puffy trying to grab an opportunity to prove he was still hot, so what you got was a whole bunch of ten-year-old ideas - like a low-rent version of "My Life".

Truth be told............

I couldn't fuck with MY LIFE when that shit came out. Mad people hold that album up as the classic. Yeah,yeah,yeah, I know it got crazy bumps in the clubs at the time, but , so what Puffy snatched an easy Barry White classic. I'm not impressed and still not to this day of that record. That was during a run when "Puffy" was grabbing all the wedding classics.....My tastes in samples were somewhere else at the time.
    I prefer her output from MARY 'till now. Whatever.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    Truth be told............

I couldn't fuck with MY LIFE when that shit came out. Mad people hold that album up as the classic. Yeah,yeah,yeah, I know it got crazy bumps in the clubs at the time, but , so what Puffy snatched an easy Barry White classic. I'm not impressed and still not to this day of that record. That was during a run when "Puffy" was grabbing all the wedding classics.....My tastes in samples were somewhere else at the time.
    I prefer her output from MARY 'till now. Whatever.

I know what you mean about "My Life", but it was a little different in London. Those samples were club tunes over here, as opposed to wedding tunes. Still, the concept worked for a lot of folks, and even though I thought it was lazy at the time, I enjoy listening to that record now. "What's The 411" is still my shit, though - it'll forever remind me of the summer of 1992. That record changed r&b completely. Or, more accurately, the "Love No Limit" remix did. One thing I'll always give Puffy credit for is the way he took that whole Ron G/Kid Capri mixtape thing, buffed it up and turned it into a multi-million dollar industry. It probably would have happened anyway, but he was the one who really kicked it off.