jimmy mcgriff- i've got a new woman

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
on solid state. hot or not?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    not funky.

• As if funk was all Jimmy McGriff had to offer?

(Answer: no, it isn't.)

I'm far from a funky fiend, but I think McGriff's Funk lp's are his best. If I want bland organ jazz, I'll take someone else.

• i will agree. it's no electric funk, that's for sure.

yeah, Electric Funk was the first of his records I ever got. Still one of my favs. Anyhow, I was so into it that I went out & bought like every McGriff lp I could find, which was all the Solid State & Sue stuff. As far as 60's Organ jazz goes, I like Jimmy Smith & McDuff better.

• yeah, Electric Funk was the first of his records I ever got. Still one of my favs. Anyhow, I was so into it that I went out & bought like every McGriff lp I could find, which was all the Solid State & Sue stuff. As far as 60's Organ jazz goes, I like Jimmy Smith & McDuff better.

For me, personally, I always preferred Jimmy McGriff because he played actual SONGS. Jimmy Smith's records, on the other hand, were just loose jam sessions. McDuff was somewhere between the two, but no way I'd put him at the top of the Classic Organ Jazz list. For my own personal bottom line, I like Smith and McDuff well enuff, but McGriff and John Patton were a lot more consistent. Funk or no funk. And if the song "Christmas With McGriff" isn't a Yuletide classic, then Chaka Khan's got hair on her teeth!

(Going by recent non-funk CD's I've heard of his on the Milestone label, McGriff is STILL taking care of business...)

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Jack McDuff, Jimmy Smith and Groove Holmes would be near the top of my personal list...I've got a bunch of McGriff records but only two or three get played with any regularity. Groove Holmes is probably my top pick and Soul Message is one of my favourite all time organ Lps. Just hits the right note with me.