Favorite Crappy 90's movie adapts of books (nrr)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
For some reason there seem to be plenty to choose from.my picks are:Bonfire Of The VanitiesBreakfast of ChampionsEven Cowgirls Get The BluesFeel free to add your own.

Comments

• american psycho

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    joy luck club

waiting to exhale

horse whisperer

bridges of madison county

ice storm - this film was not crappy in the least however

i didn't read the title closely enough - i do not endorse any of the above films, except for ice storm

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Romeo and Juliet

SG

• Devil in a Blue Dress.

Maybe not the best, but damn fine.

Don Cheedle as "Mouse" was

• Just thought of another: "Short Cuts", which is mostly based on Carver's "Where I'm Calling From"

Just thought of another: "Short Cuts", which is mostly based on Carver's "Where I'm Calling From"

i loved this movie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Devil in a Blue Dress.

Maybe not the best, but damn fine.

Don Cheedle as "Mouse" was

Co-sign

They were supossed to do a couple of more movies w/ Denzel as Easy Rollins.Shit fell through.

In Devil he's not even a full fledged Private Eye.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    joy luck club
    waiting to exhale
    horse whisperer

i didn't read the title closely enough - i do not endorse any of the above films, except for ice storm

Bridges of Madison County is a phat jam. Streep is as an Italian broad and Clint is great as her boyfriend. Do not sleep on this quiet, moving cinematic experience. You heard it here first. The book is total doo-doo to be avoided at all costs.

joy luck club
    waiting to exhale
    horse whisperer

Bridges of Madison County is a phat jam. Streep is as an Italian broad and Clint is great as her boyfriend. Do not sleep on this quiet, moving cinematic experience. You heard it here first. The book is total doo-doo to be avoided at all costs.

streep is one of the most over-rated actors ever. she is oatmeal in a flowy dress and a loose bun. i don't think i've been able to stomach her in anything other than silkwood. no, not even sophie's choice.

sorry if that's your girlfriend.

• streep is one of the most over-rated actors ever. she is oatmeal in a flowy dress and a loose bun. i don't think i've been able to stomach her in anything other than silkwood. no, not even sophie's choice.

Strangely I think she's done much better with comedy.
    Defending Your Life by Albert Brooks was pretty damn funny, but then I think Brooks is almost always pretty damn funny. Lost in America was hilarious, and Mother was so well done and close to home it made me cringe the whole time I was laughing!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Just thought of another: "Short Cuts", which is mostly based on Carver's "Where I'm Calling From"

i loved this movie.

that one part is so disturbing that I get depressed sometimes randomly remembering it

i loved this movie.

that one part is so disturbing that I get depressed sometimes randomly remembering it

which one part?!

there are some dark relationship moments in that film...are you talking about the cellist?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

i loved this movie.

which one part?!

there are some dark relationship moments in that film...are you talking about the cellist?

I'm talking about the random murder followed by rockslide... in fact, thats the only part of the movie I can even remember, and I think I've seen it twice...

i loved this movie.

which one part?!

I'm talking about the random murder followed by rockslide... in fact, thats the only part of the movie I can even remember, and I think I've seen it twice...

oh god yea. chris penn was downright scary...that part was horrible.

did you see The Funeral ? Penn is in it and plays a similar character, just more sophisticated and i don't mean that in a good way.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    joy luck club
    waiting to exhale
    horse whisperer

streep is one of the most over-rated actors ever. she is oatmeal in a flowy dress and a loose bun. i don't think i've been able to stomach her in anything other than silkwood. no, not even sophie's choice.

Have you seen Adaptation, the scene where she is tripping? Incredible. I know she gets sweated more than Skipper's ballsack in a heatwave but she lives up to the hype IMO. She is one of the few actors that I think can elevate total crap into something worth watching. Some other favs: Out of Africa, Music From The Heart, Angels in America, The Manchurian Candidate and great smaller roles in The Deer Hunter and Manhattan. All that being said there are some actors who people love that I just hate. Go figure. Most hated: Jennifer Jason Leigh (especially as Doroth Parker).

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Short Cuts was a great, great movie. Gallagher chainsawing the furniture, Julianne Moore arguing sans slacks or panties, the kids asking the dad for a monkey. I need to watch it again.

• I met Terrence Malick last night

joy luck club
    waiting to exhale
    horse whisperer

Have you seen Adaptation, the scene where she is tripping? Incredible. I know she gets sweated more than Skipper's ballsack in a heatwave but she lives up to the hype IMO. She is one of the few actors that I think can elevate total crap into something worth watching. Some other favs: Out of Africa, Music From The Heart, Angels in America, The Manchurian Candidate and great smaller roles in The Deer Hunter and Manhattan. All that being said there are some actors who people love that I just hate. Go figure. Most hated: Jennifer Jason Leigh (especially as Doroth Parker).

we'll have to agree to disagree - our tastes are too different when it comes to meryl.

Man watched Adaptation and got so mad about the tripping scene that he played it for me and just stood there staring at me like - "wtf is this shit???" haha...

100% co-sign about leigh as dorothy parker. ak! make her stop talking like that!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Romeo and Juliet

SG

I agree on crappy, but not on favorite. Why is everybody always jocking this? It's a big bag of hot air, a fart that doesn't smell, a dick without a nutsac. I haven't seen "Strictly Ballroom", but this is apparently an MO for Baz Luhrmann, since "Moulin Rouge" was a pretentious, overblown piece of doodoo as well. I'm not watching any more of this man's output unless his movies start growing some chest hair.

PS: Not hating on Shakespeare, just not feeling that adaptation.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Romeo and Juliet

SG

I agree on crappy, but not on favorite. Why is everybody always jocking this? It's a big bag of hot air, a fart that doesn't smell, a dick without a nutsac. I haven't seen "Strictly Ballroom", but this is apparently an MO for Baz Luhrmann, since "Moulin Rouge" was a pretentious, overblown piece of doodoo as well. I'm not watching any more of this man's output unless his movies start growing some chest hair.

PS: Not hating on Shakespeare, just not feeling that adaptation.

I really like Baz Lurhman's pics, especially Moulin Rouge, which I thought I would hate. He has tremendous original style and gets excellent perfromances from his casts.

• joy luck club
    waiting to exhale
    horse whisperer

i heard it takes longer to see the movie than read the book of bridges of madison county.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I met Terrence Malick last night

A few years ago, one of the Smithsonian departments sponsored a showing of Days of Heaven, which was to be introduced by Terrence Malick. He got up to the podium after a fairly lengthy introduction by whatever Smithsonian curator or director who had put the night together, and said "Thanks for coming. I hope you enjoy the movie."

And for the most part I did, but that flick is a bit sleepy, IMO.