How Many of You Don't Like Drum Breaks?

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Wow if you don't this will be interesting? My secret santa pal dislikes drum breaks? WOW I guess I'm to HIP HOP? Though I can understand but Drum Breaks with a dope song how can you dislike that?Matter of fact how many drum breaks are there that have good music on them??? I wonder??????

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I was surprised how many people had NO DRUM BREAK RECORDS on their santa info.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

breaks are played out. I mean, they are cool if they are in a song. But Ill be damned I have an entire lp for one drum break. Seems worthless.

• I was surprised how many people had NO DRUM BREAK RECORDS on their santa info.

Well, not all of us got into classic soul music through hip-hop. Deal with it.

breaks are played out. I mean, they are cool if they are in a song. But Ill be damned I have an entire lp for one drum break. Seems worthless.

I agree. I mean, I never cared about 'em in the first palce. I just thought it was funny that people were like "NO BREAKS RECORDS / NO MOODY LOOPS!"

Neither did I.

• If you dont buy them there is more for me to dig up. Drumbreaks are my religion since the 80s. One thing is important, the break must have some new sounds that I didndt know from otehr records and the way it is played should be dope. Than I buy it, doenst matter what comes after it. If its dope what comes after cool, if not than not. But I buy more records without drumbreaks than with.

I think drumbreaks are a producers thing, if you are a collector who is not into producing I can totally understand your anyoing of breaks. Which reason should someone have to buy a record for 2 seconds good music. That would be stupid.

I LOVE A DOPE BREAK! Just so we are clear. BUt you wont catch me buying records just becuase of a super dope break.

oh, and I hate moody loops.

mainly becuase im never sure what a moodly loop is.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm following you , Breezy. You hate something becuase you don't know what it is? How can you direct your hating properly then?

• I was surprised how many people had NO DRUM BREAK RECORDS on their santa info.

True but I know there are folks on here that all of a sudden got that "COOL GUY Record Attitude" nowadays. For example: "Hey Billy check this record out it was sampled by so and so" (Billy with his nose way up) "Cha, who cares if it's sampled or got a brake I could care less, I'm to cool for school, get that record out of my face!", before even listening to it or giving the record a chance Billy dissed it. Maybe their was a dope cut on it or somthing, folks need to hummble themselves just a bit at times and open their minds cause even if a record has been sampled or has a break don't make it garbage!

DON'T BE A BILLY, STAY IN SCHOOL! & LIKE CAMEO SAID "DON'T BE SO COOL!"

Oh yeah if you are to Cool for School like the other dude said that leaves more for us, WORD!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Who's Billy?

• Billy is that guy who Dropped out of school cause he was to cool for school!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Billy is that guy who Dropped out of school cause he was to cool for school!

Oh, and he's a record collector now? Is he a registered user here?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I LOVE A DOPE BREAK!

Biggest Cosign. But I always get mad at those jazz/progrock-cats that can't keep a beat when doing drum solos (maybe except max roach and a few others)...who would listen to that? Me? No....drumdiddleduddeldashboomcrashbangbsstbssttomgongboring....

• No nobody in Partakulare' just some folks around record shows or shops could be anyone...

OK, so like I said, I am no hip-hopper - so maybe someone can essplain this me...

My understanding of a "break" is a segment of the music where pretty much everything stops but drums & they continue to play a beat EI: Scorpio, or Funky Drummer, right? yet I hear all kinda things called "breaks" - things that sound nothing like this. So, what the fuck is up? I'm not even sure I understand what a break is.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    No nobody in Partakulare' just some folks around record shows or shops could be anyone...

Anyone? So there is no real Billy? Could I be Billy?

I'm not sure if I'm following you , Breezy. You hate something becuase you don't know what it is? How can you direct your hating properly then?

dunno. I do my best though.

OK, so like I said, I am no hip-hopper - so maybe someone can essplain this me...

My understanding of a "break" is a segment of the music where pretty much everything stops but drums & they continue to play a beat EI: Scorpio, or Funky Drummer, right? yet I hear all kinda things called "breaks" - things that sound nothing like this. So, what the fuck is up? I'm not even sure I understand what a break is.

technically a break is anytime the music stops and one instrument continues, could be a fany flue juice break, vocal break, drum break etc...

but yeah you are right.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

When I take a break at work, I usually go for a cup of coffee and play the drum kit we have at the office space.

technically a break is anytime the music stops and one instrument continues, could be a fany flue juice break, vocal break, drum break etc...

but yeah you are right.

OK, so my next question: how does this differ from a "loop"?

a loop is any part of music that can be looped. Such as one bar of full music (no break) that is sampled and just repeated.

it could even be a 2 count out of the bar, just play it on a loop, thus making a steady non-changing beat that can be rapped over, filtered, layered etc..

so if the music is set like this:

4 4(intro)/4444(verse) etc...

You would take the first 4 and just loop that...make sense?

a loop is any part of music that can be looped. Such as one bar of full music (no break) that is sampled and just repeated.

it could even be a 2 count out of the bar, just play it on a loop, thus making a steady non-changing beat that can be rapped over, filtered, layered etc..

so if the music is set like this:

4 4(intro)/4444(verse) etc...

You would take the first 4 and just loop that...make sense?

ahhh... yes, actually it does.

• yo, and then, you put the loop on top of the break. then it's like. Aaaaaaaaaahhghhhghhhh, the real schitt.

what about "stabs"?

I'm already feeling more hip-hop by the minute! Soon, I'll be wearing my hat backwards & stuff!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What about 'grooves'?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i have bought records because they had a 2 bar shaker loop on em. drumbreak addict.

what about "stabs"?

a stab is more like a horn. Think if any jazz of funk record that has the horn come in for one note real quick, maybe a quater note

like this

da (rest) DA (rest) DA DA DA DA

that halting pattern is like stabbing motion. Chop up the horns by themselves and ad them at the downbeat of every loop.

The horn comes in quick and fast like a stab.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    what about "stabs"?

I'm already feeling more hip-hop by the minute! Soon, I'll be wearing my hat backwards & stuff!

http://www.funk45.com/rm/salt_-_hung_up.ram

Starts out with a drumbreak, and goes into drumbreak + stabs. First stab around 5 secs. I have doubles of this record, if anyone wants one let me know.

what about "stabs"?

a stab is more like a horn. Think if any jazz of funk record that has the horn come in for one note real quick, maybe a quater note

like this

da (rest) DA (rest) DA DA DA DA

that halting pattern is like stabbing motion. Chop up the horns by themselves and ad them at the downbeat of every loop.

The horn comes in quick and fast like a stab.

excellent!

now, can someone "skool" me on the importance of this DJ Shadow fellow? Then, I'll be ready for the big hip-hop arguments!

Oh yeah, and what is this "Rawkus Dead Stock Gold"? A type I of 40oz. malt likker, I suppose?