JURY DUTY

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Today I was selected as Juror #1 in a case where I may be asked to help decide the ultimate fate of another man.Has any of you been through this experience before? What should I expect? Anything I should be aware of about this process?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Expect a lot of sitting down & listening to lawyers ask questions & looking at exhibits.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Tell everyone that you are against the death panalty and the prison system in general, that you think OJ is innocent, etc etc. Might just get you out of it.

My pops got selected for the grand jury. He has to go downtown once a week for a full day of hearings for AN ENTIRE YEAR. YIKES.

• My pops got selected for the grand jury. He has to go downtown once a week for a full day of hearings for AN ENTIRE YEAR. YIKES.
    YIKES.
    YIKES.
    YIKES.
    YIKES.
    YIKES.
    YIKES.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Tell everyone that you are against the death panalty and the prison system in general, that you think OJ is innocent, etc etc. Might just get you out of it.

He's already been selected.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I served in a federal trial where the accused was charged w/ bringing illegal ivory into the country. I felt the same way, but luckily it was fairly cut and dry after the accused's wife's testimony made it abundantly clear he was guilty.

I would've felt a little more satisfied, though, if I didn't find out during the trial that it isn't illegal to bring in ivory and hunt elephants, but that you need to purchase a liscence to do so first.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    you get off work for that ish? no idea how that works.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    you get off work for that ish? no idea how that works.

What up hommie...yeah, I'm gonna get off work, but I won't have to use vacation days. The trial is supposed to be about 4 days (maybe longer). I'll also get paid $9/day for my services, which is basically lunch and transportation, which I appreciate. What a way to kick off the New Year.

• Marge, it was horrible. Everyone was against me in that jury room. But I stood by the courage of my convictions and I prevailed. And that's why we had Chinese food for lunch

• how do you get trapped into jury duty ?

i've only been summoned twice and just tossed it. never heard from them again. i heard you had to report but never had any problems after tossing it.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Marge, it was horrible. Everyone was against me in that jury room. But I stood by the courage of my convictions and I prevailed. And that's why we had Chinese food for lunch

I believe Freddie Quimby should walk out of here a free hotel.

how do you get trapped into jury duty ?

i've only been summoned twice and just tossed it. never heard from them again. i heard you had to report but never had any problems after tossing it.

My summons noted that you're subject to imprisonment and/or a fine if you don't report, or at least give them reason for not being able to. In that case they'll hit you back in a few months with another one.

You might wanna lay low for a little while D*ve!

• Yeah if you act a foll and tell them all the things they don't wanna hear you should be able to get out of it, that is unless you wanna have the experience. Just curious if anybody knows anything about this but I'm pretty sure that if you are not a registered voter they don't pick you. Could be wrong though. How do they actually pick who gets jury duty?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Just curious if anybody knows anything about this but I'm pretty sure that if you are not a registered voter they don't pick you. Could be wrong though. How do they actually pick who gets jury duty?
    http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=480425&Forum=crates&Words=Jury%20Duty&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=480425&Search=true#Post480425

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    how do you get trapped into jury duty ?

My summons noted that you're subject to imprisonment and/or a fine if you don't report, or at least give them reason for not being able to. In that case they'll hit you back in a few months with another one.

You might wanna lay low for a little while D*ve!

Dave, you may find out the next time you get pulled over or register your car at the DMV, have your taxes audited, or apply for a loan and they pull your credit...the local and fed authorities have a lot of ways of having those summons actual 'mean' something. Tossing them is not recommended.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    In Canada, law students are not allowed to sit on juries.

• i was summoned a month ago and seriously... i was waiting for that shit! i thought of it as a cool way to get out of work for a couple of days but that turned out to be on some bullshucks telephone standby which pretty much meant calling back/checking the jury website to see if you had to report. im talking about checking in the morning and then checking back later that day to see if you had to report the next day or in the afternoon... really messed up process. i can say it threw off my entire week and i ended up not having to report.

but i still think getting on a jury would be kinda cool.

-rich

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I was a standby on a jury of a child molestation case for almost two weeks this past year. Ended up being a hung jury because the two little girls had conflicting testimonies. It broke my heart to have seen a struggling family go through this.

• drewn, you already got picked?!??!?!

damn, i always try to get picked but once they talk to me for a minute they send me home with my check.

downtown you'll be in a huge room, full of people. theres got to be some cute females you can sit next to and kick game to. get some numbers and eat at reading terminal

• make sure you use the bathroom before getting into the jury box... last time i checked you cant raise your hand to go use the bathroom and who knows how long proceedings will last before a court ordered break.

-rich

Yeah, I was the first out of a pool of 60, 45 of whom they had already cut! I guess they think I can be fair and impartial about the case, which I believe I can. I'm looking forward to the experience more than dreading it. I settled for a chicken cheese steak at Reading yesterday, but will be getting my share of fresh eats on over the course of the trial, and stopping by the candy station for a quarter lb. of gummi fruit salad on the way back to the court house.