some questions regarding music gear

DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
alright, so I have some money to spend and am looking to enhance my lil studio set up. but first I have a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with.1) Studio Monitors.....never used em before. I use my computer speakers when playing music off the computer, and some regular, old decent speakers for at-home listening with the turntables. what do you need monitors for? what specs should I look for? in other words, why studio monitors? i sound like an idiot for asking this and am expecting to get bashed on, but fuck it.2) Speakers....like I said above, I just have some run-of-the-mill, "good enough" speakers for at-home listening with the turntables. I'm looking to update them and get some speakers strong and loud enough to bump a mid to large size room. But also not looking to spend an arm and a leg. Best bang for the buck in other words. I'm not sure what kinda wattage to look for or anything. I'm a DJ, yes, I should know all this stuff...but hey, I'm not a sound-man, I just manipulate the records. ok? haha...next3) Receiver/Amp....what I'm using right now, I'm sure is not good enough for what I want to have. I'm sure this depends on what kind of speakers I have and what wattage, but still, any recommendations??4) Mixers...this subject I know much more on. I'm looking to upgrade from a Rane TTM-54 mixer to the TTM-56 with the new magnetic crossfaders as I am sick of having to COSTLY replace crossfaders. My question is, what other mixers have this new magnetic fader technology? I think Pioneer does, what model? any other companies/models? and if I do upgrade to a TTM-56, anybody interested in my old TTM-54 mixer??5) Needles...these too I am tired of replacing. I replace them maybe twice a year, probably not that often, but still, it can get expensive. I use shure m44-7's. any recommendations for better or cheaper needles? maybe I just need to take better care of mine.6) Laptops...several reasons. for one, my home pc is crap. two, i plan on eventually getting rane serato scratch, in which this laptop will be necessary. what specs should I look for? i want the best bang for my buck. I know I want a fast processor, probably pentium 4...maybe like 2 ghz, 1 gb ram, nice size hard drive. what else should i look out for?sorry if I sound ignorant or seem to be asking too much. I'm sure this post can prove to be helpful to more than just myself. thanks ahead to anybody who contributes some helpful information.peas!// dj phillie

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    a couple of things...

TTM54 cf's really shouldn't have to be replaced unless they are like damaged to the point where parts have broken off. They can easily be cleaned/repaired. A 56 is a doper option, but you shouldn't be upgrading simply for cf issues.

For your serato questions:

go here, it's there for you.

Needles: Theres a gang of choices out there. What are you mostly trying to do? Cut? beat juggles? trickmixing? or just long blending? M44-7's ain't my choice, but damn, they're good carts. What's the probs you're having with them?

Is this thread a joke? Seriously..

• a couple of things...

TTM54 cf's really shouldn't have to be replaced unless they are like damaged to the point where parts have broken off. They can easily be cleaned/repaired. A 56 is a doper option, but you shouldn't be upgrading simply for cf issues.

Needles: Theres a gang of choices out there. What are you mostly trying to do? Cut? beat juggles? trickmixing? or just long blending? M44-7's ain't my choice, but damn, they're good carts. What's the probs you're having with them?

I replace my crossfader whenever it starts to bleed. I've had the mixer for apprx. 3 years and it's bleeding on me for the second time now.

Needles...I cut, scratch, do blends, a little bit of beat juggling. the shure m44-7 needles have been great. i was just asking if there was a better option out there, or at least a competitive needle.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    a couple of things...

I replace my crossfader whenever it starts to bleed. I've had the mixer for apprx. 3 years and it's bleeding on me for the second time now.

nah man, unless you've worn off the magnetic striping, you can "fix" that everytime.