Rhapsody.com and Me (A Rant by Justin Torres)

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
So my entire career in the workforce has been dedicated to music. whether it was writing about it, playing it on the radio, playing it in the clubs, selling music to stores or djs or collectors, working at record labels and doing promotions, marketing, sales, research, etc... most of my label contacts are now head A&Rs, head of Promotions, running their own companies. ive done internet radio and worked for MTV online. was their main music buyer and created dozens of stations and playlists for the company.so i get an email regarding a rap editor job at Rhapsody.com. i apply and a month goes by with no reply. i figured what the fuck... maybe im not qualified to do this:Job Requirements: ??? Superior knowledge of rap/hip-hop/soul/R&B genres ??? Well-organized, self-starting individual with excellent communication skills (written and oral) ??? Two to four years experience in a field requiring extensive knowledge of this genre (music journalism, radio, or retail) ??? Working knowledge of various computer applications (Excel, Word, etc.) ??? Familiarity with content management systems ??? Impeccable attention to detail and follow-through ??? Must own a PC and have a high-speed Internet connection now you tell me... do you think im qualified? some of you motherfuckers have known me for a long time. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IVE DONE IN MY 13YRS OF WORKING WITH MUSIC. now yes... i havent written about music for quite a while. the only real writing ive done was for radio commercials and jingles for KGO Radio. however... i would like to think that my writing is decent enough to get a job at an internet company like this?!?! however, after waiting a week to be interviewed, i get a call from this woman named Mia who was to talk to me today at 4p. well... not anymore. it seems that my "writing skills" werent up to par with the excellent bits and bobs that their staff is already putting out for the world to read online. have you read some of the shit that your staff is writing? OBVIOUSLY... you havent. while im not the strongest writer im definitely better than some of the interns you got turning out dribble...(sigh)... im tired of trying to find work and a stable income for my wife and i. trying to buy a house out of records isnt the easiest thing to do... just bitching... soulstrut is my blog... deal with it.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Keep in mind that sometimes they already found someone for the position, so they just give you an excuse. Anyway, don't give up!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the only real writing ive done was for radio commercials and jingles for KGO Radio.

Justin... please tell me you've heard the Coyle & Sharpe CD... (or OG wax if you're so inclined)

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job... perhaps your writing is too real for Rhapsody?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    justin - i wouldn't stress over it. i feel your pain. i've been looking for work off and on for the past 6 months and i used to get really pissed when i wouldn't hear back about jobs like "I AM SO FUCKING QUALIFIED FOR YOU" and kick a hole in the wall or something, but now i just let it go and find something else to apply for. no use dwelling on it, they're the ones missing out. there'll be other oppertunities.

oh and do you have contact information for this mia?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    perhaps your writing is too real for Rhapsody?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    JLR- true. maybe they did interview someone that was more qualified than i am. still sucks though.

DD- naw i never heard of coyle & sharpe.

non- if you want to throw your resume at them please do. if you got to craigslist san francisco and in the search engine look for "rap editor" in the jobs pulldown list it should pop up immediately. good luck!

and yeah i was bummed but fuck it... just would of been nice to at least get interviewed.

i did get a call to talk to a dude over at WNYC/Studio 360 about Darondo. that should be fun to do when i get to NY. so there are good things and bad things that happened today...

i have a chocolate donut, sleepytime tea, and some herb to smoke. have a nice day on the strut yall and thanks for letting me rant about life.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    DD- naw i never heard of coyle & sharpe.

They did a sort of avant garde comedy show on KGO in the 60s... they'd walk the streets of SF and approach people with some crazy shit and record it... there's this bit about new KGO jingles they wrote that cracks me up, you reminded me of it...

• (sigh)... im tired of trying to find work and a stable income for my wife and i. trying to buy a house out of records isnt the easiest thing to do...

At least you've got records, maaan.

So... this job... could one telecommute?

• sergserg 682 Posts
    dude how about you call her and offer her this, you get hired and I'll do all the writing for you. My refined and family oriented compositions will totally win them over.