Recording streams the old-fashioned way

AaronAaron 977 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I'm sure all of these posts are annoying y'all, but this is the last one.I want to record internet streams, but I don't have the software to do this on my Apple. So, my plan is to have an RCA going from the out jack on the computer and then back into the in jack. My question is, will this short out my computer? I'll use GarageBand to record this, if it works.Any other jacked-up methods any of you have successfully used?

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I'm sure all of these posts are annoying y'all, but this is the last one.

I want to record internet streams, but I don't have the software to do this on my Apple. So, my plan is to have an RCA going from the out jack on the computer and then back into the in jack. My question is, will this short out my computer? I'll use GarageBand to record this, if it works.

Any other jacked-up methods any of you have successfully used?

I've run stuff out and back in without problems. One thing you need to do is if you're running something out and back in si to make sure you have only the original playing on your speakers - I'm not sure how to explain it, but basically what I do is mute everything except the original out - so you don't end up looping your sounds in and out and in and out, multiplying your signal - like a multiple mirror effect. You get what I mean?

Either way though you shouldn't short it out, at least from my experience.

• There's a program out there called "wiretap" for OSX that just records whatever is coming OUT your computer (streams, alert sounds, whatever you hear) and dumps it into an aiff file. Then from there you can kick it to lamebrain and encode to mp3. Super easy. They used to have a free version... I still have a copy if you want it, or they have a pro version for a few bucks.