Culling The Collection (sick of records related)

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Suggestions please, I want to get rid of some shit, how do you guys decide what stays & goes? Flip a coin? Whenever I do this I am always scared I'm gonna get rid of something I might need again in the future. I think I'm gonna look at removing all the pre-modern Jazz Jazz, heaps of Rock & all my Rock & Roll stuff, I kinda feel like removing heaps of old NZ stuff too which I bought because it was local stuff, but because it is local (like most old NZ stuff) it just plain sucks shit, but the nagging sensation is what if I start DJing oldies parties again, but then again most of the people into that shit will probably be dead soon anyways...I'm definitely gonna list some Jazz 10"s that I have laying around today for a start.....ideas anyone.....

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm pretty ruthless with the collection these days.

I keep the stuff I collect specifically (local stuff, small label soul/funk 45s, etc.) and the records I've been after for a while. Pretty much everything else gets put up on the big scree, or tossed in the trade bin.

I think it feels good to let go of records I know I won't see again for a while. It distances me from my records and prevents me from thinking that I'm doing something more important/valuable than collecting objects. Regrettably, it's also a sign that I am not a great collectro.

• Regrettably, it's also a sign that I am not a great collectro.

It is actually a sign that you are a greater collectro than most - if you truly love something, set it free. If it never comes back, it was never yours to begin with.

Most records turn up again.

I think I can count on less than five fingers the records I've sold that I might never see again in my life.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    little by little I've been hacking away at my rackord collection. trying to pull the stuff I haven't listened to and am pretty sure I wont. Sample LP's have all but dissapeared from my collection. I'm all about selling LP's of stuff I don't want at ebay or slightly below ebay prices and adding that dough up to get pieces I really do want

Quality not quantity.

BTW its tough to do at first but once the ball gets rolling its almost hard to decide where to stop.

• i can honetly say that "trimming the fat" is a wonderful thing to do. i've done this countless times over the years, and no regrets. you gain space, make a little money, and end up with a much tighter overall collection. the only criteria i've really had is just skimming through a record and asking myself if i can do without. a lot of good records might not make the cut, but the best ones remain.

oh, and fuck a rarity factor. that's another thing that used to keep me holding onto rekkids that i realized i didn't even listen to. fuck that. cash in, re-up, keep it moving.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    dudes, I have so many records to get rid of its ridonculous. I want to do a huge Ebay listing, but it takes so much time and energy. Alot of my records are obscure, oddball things, that really need a description of some sort on Ebay, or a sound clip, and when I think about trying to do all that, I get overwhelmed, and end just staring at my shit or rearranging it. I could dump alot of stuff of locally at 25 cents a piece and take a loss, but I want to maximize the earningz.

That said, I'm gonna try for a massive upload in January.

• Send 'em all to me and I'll send you the ones you need back...
    This will save a lot of time...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    dudes, I have so many records to get rid of its ridonculous. I want to do a huge Ebay listing, but it takes so much time and energy. Alot of my records are obscure, oddball things, that really need a description of some sort on Ebay, or a sound clip, and when I think about trying to do all that, I get overwhelmed, and end just staring at my shit or rearranging it. I could dump alot of stuff of locally at 25 cents a piece and take a loss, but I want to maximize the earningz.

That does it. I'm coming over. I owe you for those 45s, anyway.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah, I guess I should just bite the bullet. I have done this in the past & it has felt good. The only thing I regret is when I was scrabbling for money as a student I cleared out 80% of my punk/hardcore collection when I cleared out pretty much all of my 80s metal. I did get good coin on ebay but shit I miss some of those punk & hardcore records (luckily I made CDR's of most of them), the 80s metal always turns up to buy if I want, but shit, never the good punk stuff.

(luckily I made CDR's of most of them)

This should factor heavily into any decisions you make. I listen to my records via mp3 probably 80% of the time (in the car, with the ipod, etc.). A full expedit is a pretty thing, and there's a warm feeling that goes with owning the authentic object, but you have the music dude, you have the music.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

you're an oddball too.

soundclip?

• Start culling your collection here.

• Regrettably, it's also a sign that I am not a great collectro.

It is actually a sign that you are a greater collectro than most - if you truly love something, set it free.

My goodness, these are OBJECTS, not people! "If you love it, set it free?" Usually I've heard that said about human beings! Things like records, on the other hand, are MEANT to be used! Hell, I love my arms, but I'm not gonna cut them off - geez!

Well, with that out of the way...what determines whether I get rid of something?

If I don't like it.

Or if I somehow wound up with more than one copy of the same item.

Yes, I'll admit to hoarding a few records I know I wouldn't want to play again. But, as big as my collection is, I've weeded out things from time to time. Without regrets, I'm happy to say.

My musical tastes are fairly stable; I know good and well what I like. And I know what I DON'T like, so once I cut something loose, it's GONE. I'm not gonna sell my funk and soul raers on a whim then wish I had them back later on. These aren't trading cards. And I'm not a hip-hop producer, so I don't worry about keeping dull records that have open drum breaks. I do deejay a lot, but it's usually things I listen to at home; I've never bought records ONLY because I knew they'd go over on the dancefloor. So, that's how I try to maintain the collection without having too much waste.

Hell, I love my arms, but I'm not gonna cut them off - geez!

That just means you don't really love your arms.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Suggestions please, I want to get rid of some shit, how do you guys decide what stays & goes? Flip a coin? Whenever I do this I am always scared I'm gonna get rid of something I might need again in the future. I think I'm gonna look at removing all the pre-modern Jazz Jazz, heaps of Rock & all my Rock & Roll stuff, I kinda feel like removing heaps of old NZ stuff too which I bought because it was local stuff, but because it is local (like most old NZ stuff) it just plain sucks shit, but the nagging sensation is what if I start DJing oldies parties again, but then again most of the people into that shit will probably be dead soon anyways...I'm definitely gonna list some Jazz 10"s that I have laying around today for a start.....ideas anyone.....

I'm having pretty much the same problem, although not sick of records I just need to make room. I know what I can get rid of but I've already trimmed the collection by roughly 400-500 pieces so now I'm really cringing to get rid of shit (F*CK!). Once I start though I know it will just pile up quickly, my goal is to get rid of another 200 or so... Plus its not like I got the raers, but more than anything its just records I really like - DAMMIT!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    [...] there's a warm feeling that goes with owning the authentic object [...]

Yup.

• I set a number, like 500, and say "no more records over 500". If have 500 records and I buy 5 new ones, I then must remove 5 old ones to sell, trade in, whatever.

Sounds retarded, but thats my plan.

• I think I can count on less than five fingers the records I've sold that I might never see again in my life.

let's hear 'em....

• Suggestions please, I want to get rid of some shit, how do you guys decide what stays & goes?

I'm having pretty much the same problem, although not sick of records I just need to make room.

I'm not gonna lie - I actually have replaced the occasional vinyl LP with the CD. Usually it was something relatively common, or something I only vaguely liked but couldn't bring myself to get rid of. That's how I unloaded my copy of Mean Greens by Eddie Harris (a good but inconsistent artist, IMO). I've written about music for different magazines, so when a 2-CD reissue of four Harris albums arrived in my mailbox...and one of them was Mean Greens...well, out the door the OG album went...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If you know what the best songs are on each album, give them a quick spin and listen. If they still collect your attention now, keep it. If it's just so-so, it's got to go-go.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Quality not quantity.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Yup.

I've tried the purge the collection / MP3 route for a bit there and have regretted it ever since. MP3s have no soul and the sound quality cannot touch vinyl. Back to hoarding.

Yup.

I've tried the purge the collection / MP3 route for a bit there and have regretted it ever since. MP3s have no soul and the sound quality cannot touch vinyl. Back to hoarding.

Thats it, man i have tried explaining this little addiction we have to people over the years (not least my wife, god bless her patience) and for me anyway, i guess it comes down to the fact that these little black discs and cardboard covers amount to a slice of history, they are windows to the past and when you dig long and hard and come up with an original piece that you have been searching for, shit, you cant beat that feeling, you are holding in your hands a peice of the past, and most senses are covered as well, sight, touch, sound (duh) and am i the only one that sniffs records?
    I love my mp3s for pure practicality, cds are coasters, i still play my old tapes (showing my age)but vinyl?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    when i shop, it is always long and hard.

• dude...i love smelling the old shit...books especially. i've trimmed my collection in the past a few times...let some raers go...at first was like, this is hard, but when they were gone, i never thought about them...never played them when i had them...put together a list of some cool bits you want to get rid of and post it here! i'll buy somethig fo sho

dude...i love smelling the old shit...books especially.

Ahhh yes. And i thoght i was the only one. although i remember one crate in a thrift shop in Sydney (St. Vinnies) and there was this goddamn awful stench, so im checking my shoes, looking sideways at the old dude rummaging through pots and pans, but i couldnt place the smell, so i pull out a copy of innervisions and in the sleeve is what i think once was catshit. shit was all hairy and mouldy.

traumatised.

Ok, the first 100 LPs have been culled. Man, it is easy once you get started.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I try to be very selective up front, as this process is a real pain in the ass.

Anyone getting rid of 45s, let me know.....

Will be tackling 45s in the next couple of days.