telling close co-workers your leaving the job

ayoayo 44 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
i work in a small office of 6 people. 2 of the 6 are partners in the company. i decided i am ready to try something else in the same field. this is going to be very difficult because the office is so small and i am an income producing member of the company that they will not likely replace anytime soon. i really dont know how to go about breaking the news to these two guys without insulting them and the business we are in. anyone ever have to tell your boss that you get along great with that you are leaving the company?

Comments

• Just be honest and try and keep a solid relationship. You never know when you might need them for something in the future. Tell them you just want something new. Its not you its me kind of thing. Tell them you like working for them and offer to help train a replacement if you can.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    It's really hard... I know. I left a company I started! Make it about you, not them. That's real important because if they're reasonable, they won't take it personal. Good luck,

DJ Ferrari

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    It's really hard... I know. I left a company I started! Make it about you, not them. That's real important because if they're reasonable, they won't take it personal. Good luck,

DJ Ferrari

yup just be nice and open about it

I wrote a letter and resigning with a fellow co-worker helped, too

10 days to "freedom"

-M

• Just be honest and try and keep a solid relationship. You never know when you might need them for something in the future. Tell them you just want something new. Its not you its me kind of thing. Tell them you like working for them and offer to help train a replacement if you can.

theres always the possibility that they will offer you mo mo mo money to stay and of course you can have them re-hire you as a consultant after you leave to help train new hires etc... definately do it so you got the ball in your court. good luck.

-richard

p.s.
    make sure you have another job lined up before quitting etc.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

theres always the possibility that they will offer you mo mo mo money to stay and of course you can have them re-hire you as a consultant after you leave to help train new hires etc... definately do it so you got the ball in your court. good luck.

-richard

p.s.
    make sure you have another job lined up before quitting etc.

YUP!!!!!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I work in an industry where there is high turnover, so I've never had any significant anxiety about telling my supervisor (friend/colleague/or in some cases, nemesis) about my decision to leave. This is not a break-up, so the "It's not you, it's me" partyline isn't really appropriate in this context. Are you familiar with the phrase, "Only business, never personal?"

Out of respect, you should first verbally communicate your decision to take a new position and thank your current supervisor for the opportunity they provided you. Then you say that you are taking a new position to further your professional growth, and appreciate the knowledge you acquired in your current position to help you in achieving that goal. If they are true professionals, they can't hate on that because they probably already realize that you are going to hit a ceiling in a company that small eventually (position-wise, salary-wise, or otherwise). Follow up with a letter for your HR/employment file and make sure to include the last day of your employment with your current company.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    yeah, everyone has basically covered all the bases. i haven't gone through this personally, but ive seen something very similar at the firm im working for now. just be honest, state your claim, show respect, and keep in contact (you never know).

good luck.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    All jokes aside IT'S A BITCH[/b] I left my corporate job in September to do the record store thing permanently. My immediate supervisor knew my intentions so we were able to make the proper arrangement w/o giving away my departure prematurely. Don't miss the job at all, but cried like a baby when I had to say goodbye to co-workers I was close to.