Playing burned music on the radio (legal realted)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody know if it is actually legal to play a burned CD over the air? Seems like you might get into some trouble. Like say, someone DL'd a certain raer from a certain site and then plyed said raer over the airwaves without actually owning the copyrighted product? Am I paranoid here? I've actually done it a million times, but I'm kind of scared to ask the Program Director about it for fear of getting the KaiBash(sp?).

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    I don't think so... Does the station keep track of each track you play (Including artist, track and label)? If so.. I don't think you'd have to worry. Now, them not reporting to *whatever agency that keeps track and collects fees* you might have a prob. I've heard of them busting DJ's at clubs playing CDr's, but not radio yet...

• I don't think it really matters, as long as you log the artist and title the same as you would any record or cd. BMI and ASCAP aren't concerned with which format you played or if it was an mp3. I wouldn't bring it up to the PD however.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Anybody know if it is actually legal to play a burned CD over the air? Seems like you might get into some trouble. Like say, someone DL'd a certain raer from a certain site and then plyed said raer over the airwaves without actually owning the copyrighted product? Am I paranoid here? I've actually done it a million times, but I'm kind of scared to ask the Program Director about it for fear of getting the KaiBash(sp?).

I've seen playlists from big radio stations and under Label it just says CD-R. One is a Clear Channel Station and the other is pretty big but on its own. I think you're just paranoid, and its radio so its not called a burned cd but actually an "Exclusive!"

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    In that case, my shows are always packed full of "exclusives".