C'??tait un Rendez-vous by Claude Lelouch

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central

seeing the pic aspirin posted reminded me of this. Basically, an illegally filmed sprint through the streets of paris circa 1976. It has enveloped into an urban legend of sorts.........
C'etait un Rendezvous is the creation of the French filmmaker Claude Lelouch in 1976. Using a Ferrari 275 GTB early one August morning, Lelouch attached a camera to the bumper of the car and sped through the streets of Paris. He gave the driver a set route from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur, which is straight through the heart of Paris. The driver is still unknown to this day, because Lelouch was never able to obtain a permit to close the streets. The driver, who Lelouch told officials was an F1 racer, went over the speed limit and blew off many red lights. When this film was first shown, Lelouch was arrested, and because of this, the footage has spent many years underground before it began to resurface on DVD a few years ago. Lelouch used a new technology of the time, a gyro stabilized camera mount, in order to mount the camera on the car. The problem with this is that the technology of the time only allowed for a ten minute film with this mount. Lelouch told his driver to rush because of this time limit, and the video itself is only about nine minutes. In our velocity graph, we used all footage of the car when it was in motion.
Watch it

Map it

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This that shit right here.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my psp will have to holla at this.

• Yeah this is top notch, bought the dvd over the internet last year.
    If you like fast cars and french movies check out the Taxi 1 & 2, good french hip hop soundtracks as well. Just avoid the really bad remake with Latifah...

Oh and Doberman is a great movie as well staring Vincent Cassel from La Haine.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yeah this is top notch, bought the dvd over the internet last year.
    If you like fast cars and french movies check out the Taxi 1 & 2, good french hip hop soundtracks as well. Just avoid the really bad remake with Latifah...

Oh and Doberman is a great movie as well staring Vincent Cassel from La Haine.

I mean, Taxi 1 & 2 aren't good viewing unless you mean for the car/chase scenes only.

What's that one French movie about the "freestlye" walkers? Les Samurais or something like that? Pretty decent soundtrack on that one.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Yeah this is top notch, bought the dvd over the internet last year.
    If you like fast cars and french movies check out the Taxi 1 & 2, good french hip hop soundtracks as well.
    Co-sign. However, the copy I watched was bought from ebay from a Chinese guy who translated the french to english. Suffice it to say, had some memorable translation moments. Like when the German's get mad at some of the French people and instead of yelling out frogs the guy yells out

"FORGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Is there an official American release of Taxi (sans latifah)?

• Is there an official American release of Taxi (sans latifah)?

Metrodome put them out in the UK on dvd with english subtitles probably got dubbed english on the options can't remember...

You should be able to get 'em from amazon for cheap...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Amazingly, I was shown this film in my in middle school French class (80-83). I think my teacher thought it would be a good intro to the landmarks of Paris (or she needed a break). I don't remeber if we saw it on film or VHS.